No shank you!!

season 1 screwdriver GIF by Dream Corp LLC

2 Likes

Risdon on Detroit and FG’s

Jeff Risdon

@JeffRisdon

·

2m

The Lions don’t kick the long FG though, Campbell goes for it. They want accuracy under 45 yards. Fipp told us that directly. Badgley’s kickoffs are an issue and that’s why they need competition. Fox is good at them but they’ve hinted they’d rather he not also kickoff.

2 Likes

That completely neglects the idea that if you are going to make a run you may need to drive the ball down the field with 50 seconds left to try and get in range for a 50+ yard field goal with time expiring.

4 Likes

Lions have lost 3 games in the previous 2 years when a FG was kicked on the final play. All 3 were 45 yards or longer.
45, 54, and 66 yards.

They also lost by 3 points to Seattle in 2022….
and Seattle got a 56 tard FG from Jason Meyers.

1 Like

Off the top of my head I can think of the Seibert miss agaisnt Minnesotta last year that Campbell got crucified for deciding to kick it. Then there was the Santoso miss against the Steelers when we tied.

There was also several other games where we went for it on 4th instead of going for a 50+ yard FG. There is a time and place to do that, but if its 4th and 7 at your 35 in the 1st quarter you kick the damn FG. We would go for it because there is no faith in Badgley.

I love the aggression from Campbell, but some of it is out of neccesity.

1 Like

The Lions lost twice in the last 2 seasons alone because the opposing kicker hit a long FG and/or the Lions kicker missed one late, Baltimore and Minnesota. The Lions likely make the playoffs last year if they win that game in Minny with the long FG going their way. Margins are razor thin in this league so you still want a weapon at your disposal that can hit a long FG when all other options are exhausted. You don’t want to be stuck at the opposition 35-38 yard line or so with a few seconds left on the clock having to throw a Hail Mary because you don’t have a long range kicker.

Also, I know that it’s Holmes/Campbell’s philosophy that you’re echoing. I just don’t agree with it in my largely irrelevant opinion.

3 Likes

Badgley’s indoor/outdoor career splits are bizzarre

In general I do think it is difficult to form an opinion with only a little bit of working information. We do not know the intimacies of the study, just the general overview in a broad sense. Based on what we do know there is a conflict between the examples that you have given and what the Lions study says. It would appear that their definitions do contradict your perspective. Overall, the Lions, Brad and Dan have shown themselves to be very forward thinking and astute. I would withhold judgement when all the facts are not available and I would personally struggle to proclaim something to be idiotic or that I disagree when the people running the show have shown they clearly know what they are doing…and again…they have all the pieces to the pie. The question was: Do they want a long distance kicker? Why didn’t they draft a kicker? The short answer is they like Bagdley apparently and the long answer involves some information regarding a very in depth study that they have done that suggests long range is not necessary and that they believe you need to maximize your chances to score TDs and not risk long range fg’s.

to your point regarding the viking game: Yes, had the fg gone their way they very well are in the playoffs. But the LONG fg did not go their way and they regret kicking that fg and it could be said that it was a big factor for them to NOT make the playoffs. Translation: 1) should have gone for it or 2) at the very least have Fox pin them deep and hope the defense holds…given the state of the defense at the time…option 1 was the one they regret not doing.

3 Likes

Badgley was 2 for 3 beyond 50 last season with a long of 53. It’s not like he has a noodle for a leg. He can hit them. Now, he aint going to hit a 60 yarder though, which we could pontentially need at some point. The 66 yarder by the Ravens still gives me nightmares, but in hindsight we don’t get Hutch if he missed that kick.

2 Likes

What do you think of those dome splits? Any idea as to an explanation why?

Not a clue. Maybe he was just lucky outdoors and the wind helped him? You’d think kicking indoors would be much easier with no wind and a dry field.

I think the conversation that has taken place in this thread has gone in an odd place. If Dan and Brad had the opportunity to get Justin Tucker they would. But there is only 1 Justin Tucker. But short of getting Justin Tucker, the kickers that are right behind him are capable of hitting accurately from short, medium and long.

If they saw a guy like that available, they would sign him. But since that isn’t available, they are dealing with guys with certain strengths and certain flaws. So Brad and Dan are choosing which strengths they want and which flaws they are willing to live with.

I will leave you with this thought. Justin Tucker is the king dingaling of kickers. His team regularly lets him bomb long balls. In his career he has attempted 739 kicks that are 49 yards and less. He has attempted 80 kicks over 50 yards.

1 Like

57 for 80 beyond 50. Believe it or not he actually struggled a bit last year beyond 50.

2 Likes

Robbie Gould is a FA as well. He no longer has a huge league but remains an accurate and unflappable kicker.

He wanted to return to Chicago since his family still is based there… so Detroit would be a close option if the Bears aren’t interested.

1 Like

More stellar officiating!

Good catch. If he still has his family there this many years later, that’s definitely where he considers home. He also looks at himself as a business man. Chicago is a great area for that, particularly when he already has roots for it there.

Pretty sure I watched him get at least 2 long FGs blocked. Maybe another that was like 68 yards. Not that blocks aren’t partially his fault… He also kicks a ton of bombs because he’s so good. He probably has crazy good career #s from 50-55 yards.

A post was split to a new topic: Riley Patterson available