Building a defense with playmakers at all 3 levels

The lions have the chance to build a playmaker defense this coning draft. Those first 3 picks need to be defense playmakers. Lloyd would be our darious leonard

Just discussing those 3 picks who are yours playmakers?

Mine are

Kayvon Thibodeaux

Devin Lloyd

LB Utah

Tykee Smith (Hamilton if he falls)

S Georgia

3 Likes

While I don’t have specific suggestions, this is exactly what we should be looking to do.

KT is the obvious choice on the line. I don’t know about LB, but will be watching Georgia more closely since y’all are throwing love their way.

1 Like

I wonder if its possible to move up from the Rams pick and get Hamilton. Is he really going in the top 10?

1 Like

The idea is amazing. I feel that they need a talented impact veteran at one of those spots though, probably LB. Someone that can QB the D. I’d rather they get QB at that Rams #1 pick.

1OA Tebowdough
Rams #1-QB
#33-Safety
3rd and comp- OL and WR depth.

FA- MLB, #1WR. You can go the God Chriswin/MikeWilliams younger route or the Davante Adams/Allen Robinson 3-4 year bridge route and ILB I don’t know…slim pickens…might have to be a trade.

CB I’d like to wait a year. Can’t fix everything at once, use Goff’s expiring $ to solve CB and draft WR2 in the 22-23 offseason.

Yes, unless his injury that he got whatever it is keeps him from it.

1 Like

Hmm.

I might prefer a vet Safety, given the extreme youth in that group.

Yeah, probably good. Just scared we have to pay Walker and a vet and cap imbalance that position…letting Walker walk isn’t a winning move either. Conundrum.

I would have no problem with that I wish the Lions would draft to the strength of the draft for once. Sign a WR in FA.

I like:

DL: Thibodeaux
LB: Nakobe Dean
S: Brandon Joseph

3 Likes

Now that would transform a defense,

Kayvon Thibodeaux
Kyle Hamilton

Add Brandon Smith in the second.

2 Likes

I totally agree with this idea.

The Lions have $ to spend in 2022. The offensive line us roughly in place.TE and RB are in place. WR is the need and we should be able to get a guy we love in 2022 as a FA. From there we can add talent to the O as it comes in the 2922 draft after round 2.

On defense we need to lock down Tracy Walker (if he will stay!) and then add continue building this defense with those three top 35 or so picks. We should also lock down CB AO who has been healthy and solid for us. I think Charles signed a two year deal here and that is solid as he has been pretty good here too.

In 2021 we locked down Romeo Okwara, extended DE Michael Brockers and we drafted two DTs, a fine looking CB late rd. 3 and LBer Barnes in rd.4. If we add 3 top 35 rookies to this defense and lose nothing we are looking maybe having the talent to compete on defense in 2022.

If we lock down AO at CB and we have our 2021 rookie and we get Okudah back we could be okay at CB in 2022 but safety, LBer and the DL need to be better.

The more I watch Thibodeaux, the more I am thinking he is NOT the top player in this draft.

He has great highlights but when I watch him every play on defense I don’t see the same player every play.

I am passing on him at #1 overall and now looking at other players.

2 Likes

I would look at taking Dax hill at 30 if he falls that far. He can play corner or safety and can fly. We need speed on all 3 levels.

1 Like

That’s why I’m higher on a kid like Hutchinson. He’s not the same athlete but he’s coming at you every play all game.

Trading down could net you Hutchinson AND Hamilton vs just Thibodeaux.

3 Likes

I doubt Walker returns. If they wanted him back, they’d have him locked up by now.

Not Really Walker had to show he was guy maybe staff thought he was an he has. How about sign him an pair him with FA signing Marcus Williams that would work an get a rookie maybe rd 3 .

I like are young CB’s going into draft we will have at least 6-8 just to start camp . We can still look in draft but not have to go that way unless one they really like slips.

They need to look close is this guy the #1 or do they move down in a trade an add more players.

I would like to resign K Raymond also WR with him an Brown an Cephus so cupboard is not completely bare compaired to this season.
They can add a FA an couple in draft.

When you look at mocks look at moving down but staying in top 10 an see who you can get to add. We all know not every pick works out an really that includes the #1 every one says to take this year.
I still an on size an speed so watch the combine also. Flash plays on U Tube look good but with the next couple drafts we need to look closer.

Example is there a real rd 1 QB this draft i am not sold there is so do we burn the late rd 1 pick on a hope he is ok? or wait till later or even 2023 draft?

Questions that management needs to figure out I don’t like Goffs play but maybe its lack of talent as well as him so if he stays do we need to reach or gamble o a QB this draft?
If we do an it doesn’t work out i can see many posters saying we could have go player X had we waited.

So when your looking at say are first 5 picks try an build with the Edge #1 an with out an possible move but staying in top 10.

We have 5 picks in first 100 that should give us at least a WR ILB, S ,Edge, maybe QB or another weapon.

1 Like

Maaaan, I’m perplexed about this, if Thibz isn’t worth the first pick. If we are #1, and there’s not a guy worthy of the pick - that suuuuuucks.
I’m usually a fan of the trade down, but that never happens for us. I want a Metcalf-type (WR from SEA), a White-type (Tampa’s LBr), and a Suh-type.

As far as D goes, I’d be wanting to build the front 7, like when we had
Jones, Fairley, Suh, Ansah…backed by Levy
We almost didn’t need DBs. LOL. I’m a fan of ridiculously building the DL.

We need to consider what happens if we let Vaitia go as well. Flowers’s spot is already accounted for, Vaitai, I’m not so convinced. We could likely go OG in our late 1 or 2nd round as well. I know that would piss some folks off.

Hamilton’s a stud and I wouldn’t hesitate to draft him.

I know he’s being projected top 5 by many which might be a bit of a reach but I think he will likely go top 10. I suspect in the 7-12 pick range…… but he could go higher if his pass defending skills continue to improve.

He’s the best S prospect to come out in a while. The size, and range make him a rare talent. I hate to say generational because I think that’s a reach but he’s definitely a rare specimen. Not to mention he has the best scheme versatility I’ve seen in a safety in a while. Which will help him come draft day for sure.

He’s definitely the best safety prospect since Minkah Fitzpatrick who went at 11 OA. But that draft also had 4 QB’s go in the top 10.

So I ask myself if Hamilton and Fitzpatrick were in the same draft who would I take first?

They both have size and speed. So I’ll look towards their attributes.

Fitz is the better pass defender. But Hamilton is a more instinctual player. Hamilton is also capable of playing in traffic and in space. Fitz is best suited to play in space.

In todays pass catching NFL guys like Fitz bring a ton of value.

However with so many teams running cover 2 and cover 3 today a versatile safety like Hamilton has a ton of scheme versatility.

But for me I like guys with Range. I like guys who can play sideline to sideline and that’s Hamilton more so than Fitz…… don’t get me wrong Fitz has speed but Hamilton has better sideline range.

Bottom line is I’d probably take Hamilton over Fitz if they were both in the same draft class.

And in a weak QB class both have the talent to go top 10.

3 Likes

Watch Brandon Smith from Penn state too. This kids gonna be a heck of a player. I suspect he will climb draft boards soon. He has the range, speed and size that NFL teams covet.

Personally I think we need more help at LBer and Edge. Especially with Okwara hurt and Flowers a possible cap casualty.

Smith would be a nice prospect to add to the mix.

5 Likes