Building a new PC

I havent built a PC in 9 years. My 2012 PC is still running well, upgraded from 2 650 ti cards(SLI) to a used 2060 a year ago.

Since GPUs have skyrocketed! So damn hard to find them. Im particular about cost and specific card. Been looking daily on Best Buy, Amazon, Ebay, Newegg etc. Any tips on how to get one at MSRP?

Looking for a new 3060, 3060 ti, 3070 or 3070 ti… 3080 isnt much more than the 3070 ti so I have not excluded it. 3080 ti however is too big of a jump.

Miners and bots are destroying opportunities for gamers.

PC parts for new build:
Asus TUF B550-plus MB
Ryzen 7 5800x
Corsair RM750x Fully Modular Gold
Corsair LPX 3600 CL14 (2x8GB)
Asus TUF LC 240 cooler
Corsair Force MP600 M.2 1TB
Asus TUF GT501 Mid-Tower

Got it all together, just waiting on a gpu… Could use my 2060 but not going to. We dont have starlink yet anyway.

Only advice for a GPU is joining a discord for stock drops.

I’m glad I bought a 2070 super last year as the recommendation at that time was to wait for the 3xxx cards. I’ll continue using this GPU until either prices come down or until it dies. I refuse to pay these ridiculous prices.

2 Likes

Been waiting on starlink since January. Have they charged you for the full amount of the kit yet or just the deposit?

just deposit so far

Yeah, I’m getting a little ticked off, myself. Like, enough already, I’m ready for decent internet at home! Was supposed to be by July but them has turned into mid-to-late 2021. I’m just glad I haven’t been pushed into 2022 like some subscribers. Still, I’m ready already.

I got Ting Internet about 2 months ago. No more Comcast.

$80/month.
I’m feeling Satisfied.

1 Like

I’m not sure how to get them at MSRP, I do know of a guy that gets them and charges $50 (or close to that) per card. He tried for months to get one and ended up writing bot software so he can buy them. Not sure where or how he does it though.

Nvidia is releasing crypto-only cards at some point which should take some pressure off. I was planning to build a very similar PC last November and ran into the same issue.

I hate your guts.

Seriously.

Ok, not, but that does make me want to sell my house and move.

1 Like

I have two options for 1gb internet for under $50. In southern Utah of all places. New fiber is driving the prices down.

2 Likes

Must be nice.

Ended up paying more for an Asus TUF 3060 ti V2(LHR) on ebay. Best Buy price is 650+ tax… I got it for 874 shipped, so 185 over BB cost. Was the closest I found to that price in the last 2-3 months. Still working on another PC for the kids to use when I bribe them with game time to get some work done around the house!

Here is my current internet speed(NMU 4G). Supposed to be getting 20 Mbps down but rarely do and my box is up 30’ with line of sight through some trees to the nearest tower.

Starlink would be great, but Highline is supposed to be dropping in some fiber internet to much of the UP soon. We’re on the shaded for 2022 area but odds are they wont run it an extra 2 miles for 3 houses.
https://highlinefast.com

2 Likes

Wow, sounds like I need to pay more attention to the hardware market. I often see prices at retail that are just over my wholesale cost, so I usually just disregard hardware sales altogether.

Anyhow, congrats on a nice build and good luck on Starlink.

I built 2 last year and was able to get decent gpu for good price. Almost seems cheaper to buy premise now unfortunately.

While not a gaming rig, I did have to build several of these. A graphics card was a requirement due to one of the apps being used, so a thinclient was not an option. Tried and failed to to find a case that allows a video card that wouldn’t end up being too tall or too long.
It’s not too often a job requires you indulge your inner nerd, but this one did. Zen 3 archicture.

As a side note, had there been availability or better pricing, the MSI Trident might have been a good option.

2 Likes

my starlink will be in on friday!

1 Like

You dog!

I was pushed back. I was soooo hoping to get it in December, but I received the dreaded letter. :rage:

My kind of thread! This is a VR build. Hadnt rebuilt in 6 years. Got a Varjo Aero coming in the next month or so. For my fellow nerds:

Geforce rtx 3080ti
Ryzen 9 5950x 16 core processor
32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo series DDR 4 4000MHz memory
Samsung 980 Pro SSD 2TB M.2 NVMe solid state drive
Be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 1200W power supply
Phantex Eclipse P600S Hybrid silence and performance ATX Chassis
Asus ROG Crosshair Dark Hero VIII mobo
And of course this badboy: Its really all just so I can talk shit with you guys on this forum, in the smoothest way possible!

2 Likes

Thats a badass system man! If i hadnt built two more for my boys i would have went all in on mine lol… Very nice! Is that a mechanical keyboard?

1 Like

G9?

Looks nice. I got one on order.

1 Like

YEs Corsair K something or other Ill have to go look it up lol I forgot. And The Monitor is a Samsung CRG9 QLED 49" ultrawide. I built a pc for my son too but I used mostly old parts from my previous build. Mainly just a new case. HE still has a 2080 ti in there, good enough for puzzle games lol.