Building Depth

I can’t help, but get excited about this teams future. With one of the least talented rosters in the NFL we are going toe to toe with almost every team we play. What excites me more than anything is if we can compete now with the roster we have, how can good can we be with some real NFL talent.

Guys who are playing prominent roles will soon be depth. Reynolds (he will be back), Amon Ra, and Cephus will be depth next year. Evan Brown, Tommy Kraemer, and Matt Nelson will most likely be depth. Same with Godwin and Jefferson.

Then on defense our starting edge rushers right now will likely be backups with Romeo coming back and hopefully Hutchinson in the draft. I highly doubt JRM starts at LBer even if he is resigned. Guys like Jacobs, Parker, and Melifonwu will likely be depth.

We are building a deep roster. If Goff can turn his year around and show he can be decent QB then maybe we don’t take a QB with our first three
Picks.

How much better would we be if we get a high end starting safety, and WR in FA and add Hutchinson and a LBer and WR with the next two picks?

7 Likes

I would be interested in hearing some players names you’d like to add to the roster.

Would love Marcus Williams. Saints can not afford him and he has been a consistently excellent safety that Campbell and Glenn know very well. I would also bring back Tracy Walker to form a great safety tandem. I would also look in to bringing in a vet CB like Casey Hayward who would come relatively cheap. At WR I would to sign Mike Williams or Chris Godwin, but would be thrilled with Allen Robinson and to a lesser degree Christian Kirk.

In the draft I am on the Hutchinson bandwagon. Then maybe come back with Devon Lloyd and whatever WR drops because one of them will (Burks/Olave/Jameson). Maybe even double dip at WR with Metchie with our comp 3rd.

5 Likes

These are some damn good takes

I like that.

I Like You Romance GIF by Mayans M.C.

I don’t know all the money stuff…

Ill.give you a sleeper wr in free agency that will be cheap and has talent and size. Just in case we cant landnl that top guy.

Auden Tate.

I am wondering about RG. Would love to add someone really good next to sewell. Got any ideas?

Another thing that makes me really want the Marcus Williams signing time happen is, as impressive as this secondary has been with what they have to work with they have had one consistent problem. There is a lot of miscommunications back there that have lead to bad plays. That’s not a lack of talent. Marcus Williams has been with Glenn for four years and is a known leader in the backend. I think he helps drastically cut back on those communication issues.

2 Likes

I am all for splurging on safety and WR in FA.

Auden Tate would be my number 1 target. He can win any 50/50 ball and he has gotten quicker since college. He is just buried on the Bengals depth chart.

Then if we can land another WR in fa…great…then we dont have to draft a WR FAIRLY high.

Wonder how to fill LB, OG and draft a future qb while taking Hutch 1oa…

1 Like

I actually do like Auden Tate and he is buried on the depth chart behind some really good WRs. My thing is though, how much better is he then Josh Reynolds and Cephus? We need a reliable WR that can be counted on. A rookie can take time to develop and be inconsistent so I want a very good veteran to pair with a rookie.

As far as a guard, I just don’t think their positional value is high enough to invest heavily in one. They are the easiest position to find good players in the middle rounds of a draft. They are also the easiest to replace so I’m not a fan of spending 10mil+ on a guard. As far as bang for your buck though, I think Connor Williams is the best value in FA. Won’t command top dollar, but will probably get Graham Glasgow money.

1 Like

I’d love to sign a legit free agent safety and bring back Tracy Walker to form a great safety tandem. . Marcus Williams makes a ton of sense.

I also like the idea of spending some free agent money on a #1 WR and a top linebacker.

1 Like

My opinion is Auden Tate is a freak I want on the Lions…Haha

But…as far as OG I know what you mean. I am just getting excited for the future because I think its bright. I actually thought if there was any way and if it made sense to pay Brandon Scherff?? But his age and the Lions window…it doesnt match up. I just wanna see sewell and a smashmouth nasty RG opening holes and lanes. It would be a nasty thing to have. Could be best rushing attack in NFL.

I think he surprises man. He will be 1b in a 1a&1b-type situation. Not much drop-off. High ceiling, and I think he’ll reach it too.

YES

rick james superfreak GIF

2 Likes

Great post! I posted a topic yesterday titled-

“Playoffs in 2022… Here’s how!”

It’s literally almost the same post… my top 3 UFA targets are Ogunjobi, Marcus Williams, and Mike Williams…. My top 3 draft would be Hutch, Lloyd, and Olave/Wilson/Burks

I would expect to have to trade a 3rd and Rams pick to move up 5-8 slots to get Lloyd.

A real key to draft pick success is fit- Keenan Allen and Mike Williams play off one another like J Chase and Tee Higgins, or Godwin and Evans. A target monster and a deep or red zone threat.

A guy like Williams would pair with Bell, Olave, J Williams, or G Wilson. A guy like Godwin would pair with London or Burk.

Yet London and M Williams would be an awful pairing.

1 Like

Not sure if we will have the money to bring back Walker plus sign Williams, top WR, and a top LBer.

Did you guys like LB Devin Bush out of the draft?

He likely can be traded for…

Not sure what’s with him but he is a crazy talent. Not to downplay lloyd ( who I have not watched except just in games I watch on tv)…but I am trying to figure ways to get talent with less assets…because I believe we need to draft a qb at the rams pick…but that is my crazy mind…ha.

I like Melifonwu too. Between Amani, Jerry Jacobs, Okudah coming back, and potentially a vet signing it should be a Very competitive battle.

QB is definitely an option we will see how all that plays out

As far as Bush he has been a mystery. He started out well as a rookie then got hurt the following year if I remember correctly. He has struggled mightily this year. Definitely has talent as him and Devin White were both neck and neck to be the first LBer drafted that year.

1 Like

I personally think this is a very sound strategy with where this team is at. I am not a fan at all of trading up though. Let the board come to you. You only trade up for a QB or if you are a much better team, IMO. That 3rd is too valuable. Now if we are talking a late rounder to jump a few spots that’s alright but I personally want to keep the picks we have or trade down

I’m hesitant to count on Romeo & Okudah to return to pre-injury form
I hope they do but probably less than 50/50 odds

Regardless, with an infusion of talent and a much easier schedule next year, the Lions have a chance at being above .500

The key will be the ongoing development of the youngsters we have and the youngsters we draft.

I doubt we pick up a #1 WR in FA. A solid Tate type signing would be great.

1 Like

I’d look at LB’s that are 6’2" or tall.

Guys like Devin Lloyd or DeMarvion Overshown would be great additions to our defense.

DB’s I want the same thing.

Guys like Kyle Hamilton or Ahmad Gardner.

D-line guys that are 6’ 5" or taller.

Hutchinson

Big, strong, fast.

5 names on this list. I’d love to end up with 3 of those 5 in the draft.