Bully Ball - Nice Film Breakdown on Lions Offense

Nelson is even bigger than Marcedes.
I mean… Marcedes offers basicaly nothing in the passing game… so why not just play Nelson at TE as that extra dude who will kick their ass in the run game???

3 Likes

I didn’t realize he didn’t offer anything in the pass game. I thought used to be legit as a receiver and then move more into blocking.

Maybe not him specifically. I just had the thought when seeing him/his size this past weekend.

to be fair… he was decent in his first 5-6 years…
not the last 10 years or so…. I think injuries caught up to him.

This guy needs to get his facts straight.

Through the first 4 weeks?… did I miss two weeks?

Vaitai made the probowl? … when did that happen?

Jovonte Williams?

Regardless it was a good watch and I agree the Lions OL is playing remarkably well.

6 Likes

Javonte would have taken that one to the house.

2 Likes

Our O line is driving the ship. Finally we see what good drafting of O linemen can do for an offense. Barry might have 400 yards by now if he ran behind this line. I can’t wait for these guys to all get healthy and to play together for a couple of years. Just looking at the development of the back ups and you can see extraordinary coaching. Good luck stopping us once Jamo gets in there. Just try and put 8 in the box. Just try and put 7 in the box. It’s pick your poison time when you play the Lions. Once we shore up that D with next years draft and the FAs, who are going to want to play here for maybe the first time in my life, and we are on the cusp of some deep playoff runs here boys.

Now, bring us Kirk Cousins head on a platter this Sunday. Stop Cook, double Jefferson and make everyone else beat us. Feeling very good that they won’t stop our O.

3 Likes

Dear sweet baby Jesus! I can’t even imagine if Barry would have been able to run behind this line throughout his career. Emmitt would still have to be playing to even sniff the record.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Yeah, he missed on some facts. But it was definitely a good breakdown. I loved the part where he pointed out how the Lions were probing the Washington D scheme/formations and then nailed them with the end around to St Brown. That was the one where you hear one defender go “Oh Sh-t”.

Its hard not to be impressed with the Redskins win. In years past that was an L with the injuries and flubbing a 22-0 lead.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure bully ball and grit are bacon and eggs.

4 Likes

Isn’t it wild that a TE coach whom Patricia hired, Ben Johnson, is this offensive genius. Football, man.

I give this team credit for spotting and developing talent across the board. Certainly, The Sun God and Rodgrio were later round talent-spotting, but our coaches like Johnson are too. When a change had to be made, Campbell spotted how good this guy is and didn’t have coaches’ ego about giving up play calling to let him shine this year. This is Ben’s 1st time ever calling an offense!

4 Likes

Its even more wild to think that Johnson was here, Fraley was here, four/fifths of their starting offense line was here. Swift was here. Hock was here. And they had Stafford.

6 Likes

I don’t think players or coaches really ever bought in on Patricia. For a guy that did very little playing on the football field during his life he sure gave the impression that he had it all figured out. What a putz. DC gets respect from players because he did play the game at the highest level. I’ve heard several players mention this as an endorsement of Dan. I think it’s even more worthwhile because he wasn’t a superstar, but rather a guy who had to work and learn his tail off just to stay in the league.

1 Like

You have to credit Holmes and DC too for drafting Sewell. IMO, that was a ballsy pick. We knew even before they were hired that our O-Line was solid. But they added to it, and for some GMs its hard to justify drafting a RT when you are starting from scratch basically on virtually every other position group. Sewell puts that OLine over the edge into elite.

5 Likes

And for some reason… there were some people who loved Darrell Bevell around here. I never understood that.

I’m not sure that’s the word I’d use to describe it. Ballsy to me implies being courageous and confident to go against the grain.

Sewell was the consensus here (not unanimous, but definite majority), and he was widely considered to be a top talent. While some here or in NFL circles may have argued player X was a slightly better fit, it’s not like anyone was dumbfounded or flabbergasted by the selection.

Excellent pick. Great start for the regime. Not sure it was ballsy (and I’m glad they didn’t make a ballsy pick).

1 Like

OK, some great stuff here. I have been wishing for, (complaining), that TE was a huge need because I wanted to see more 12 formations. Well, they went 1 better and went 13 over and over using Nelson as the 3rd TE I believe. And how cool was that to see them break out of a 13 and go to spread and then back again?

The Lions are going to be annoying for other teams this year? Well, it’s about time as we fans have been annoyed with them for quite a few years now.

3 Likes

I’m referring more to the position rather than the player. Knowing you just traded away your franchise QB and you need more important “positions” than RT, it took conviction and belief in what you do to make that pick. Even though he was really good and we all loved him…easy for us to say…

It also helped knowing he could play LT:)

Yup - it’s not just Javonte…it’s the thought of him behind THAT OL…WOW. Just hurting ppl’s feelings. How would you stop that?

YES!!!

YES!

I Thought he was OK, not great. (massive upgrade form Patricia thoguh…I think that’s where the love comes from…comparisons to Patricia).

I think the 13 formation, and how they switched in and out of it to confuse the D gives insights as to how Mitchell will be used. His versatility is PERFECT for what they are doing.

I think Mitchell will be a sweet deep threat, once healthy and fully infused into the show!

3 Likes