Bully Ball - Nice Film Breakdown on Lions Offense

You think he runs well enough? Ball skills are there but I didn’t see the speed for him relative to other TE’s that you might consider that can stretch the D vertically

1 Like

I haven’t watched too much of him, but I think his strength will be his deceptiveness. Dude his size vs DBs because he goes deep more often than you’d expect a TE to. He’s a bit sneaky, from a TE standpoint. I expect some unconventional usage of the TE with him. Campbell is very creative with trick plays, and there will be some things like TE screens, as well as sending Mitchell on routes that ppl dont expect him to go on.

He’s mobile enough to be a great downfield blocker as well. While he’s not a great blocker, he will do very well against small DBs.

1 Like

It’s damn near unstoppable if you have the right personnel. LBs and DBs are not equipped to be run over all game long. Hopefully they keep reloading this oline. It becomes easier when you hit on so many draft picks and don’t have to spend resources to cover past mistakes.

2 Likes

This deserves a bump for people who haven’t seen it.

5 Likes

Absolutely love the double pull. We aren’t just lining up and smashing the guys across from them. They are using sophisticated blocking schemes AND smashing guys on doubles AND getting angles on defenders. It’s a thing of beauty and something I’ve never seen as a Lions fan for over 30 years.

6 Likes

They’re hoping the opposition forgets he exists, then, when they start doubling Sun God, boom, there’s Chark 40 yards downfield, wide open.

3 Likes

Exactly how Parcells used to do it. Bore them to death up front…then boom!!!
Coach Dan loves Parcells and what he’s learned from him.

2 Likes

It’s coming this week, especially if Harrison Smith is out with a concussion. Chark attack!!

4 Likes

The one thing Bob Quinn could do well was draft O-linemen. If Quinn was smart enough not to hire his fat buddy from his previous job, he might still be a GM.

3 Likes

That will be a huge loss for them if he can’t play. Very good veteran safety.

Agreed. Decker, Jackson, Ragnow, Big V, are all here because of Quinn. Even hit on Glasgow. Throw in his drafting of Swift and he could have benefited if he had good coaching. It would be interesting to know Bob Quinn’s true feelings now on Matt Patricia.

1 Like

The fact that he’s with the Browns, rather than returning to the Patriots organization, says volumes:

2 Likes

Here’s the video, which cleans up that awkwardly phrased punctuation devoid statement.

Starts at the 3:51 mark:

2 Likes

I think it was the fact that he wasn’t Jim Bob Cooter who, ironically, is with the Jags team that fired OC/interim HC Bevell. JIm Bob is now passing game coordinator for the Jaguars. Bevell is now passing game coordinator and QBs coach for the Dolphins.

He must be doing something right. Tua had 470 yards passing and 6 TD’s last week.

yeah… I’m gonna give Kyle Shanahan more of the credit for teaching Mile McDaniel his offense.

It’s actually a very different offense in terms of personnel. Miami has the highly drafted and highly paid WR’s in Hill and Waddle, whereas the 49ers have always had more of a run heavy offense and ball control with Jimmy G. But, learning from Shanahan is a real education in offensive football for sure.

What I don’t understand is why the Shanahans constantly draft running QBs (RG III and Lance) but they can never keep them healthy and end up running the offense better with more success less mobile QBs such as Cousins, Ryan, and Garropolo.

1 Like

Very good observation, it’s like they keep dreaming of having a mobile QB, but keep having more success without them.

1 Like

Shanahans biggest weakness is not protecting players. He believes in smash mouth toughness with injuries be damn. It allows you to gain advantages on the field with the risk of injuries. DC seems to be coaching that way as well and we are seeing a fairly injured roster.

It’s a tough balance between playing your team and keeping guys fresh and protected. I used to think Mcvay was excellent at protecting his players but now they seem to be soft and still injured a bunch…

The best way I’ve seen to keep guys fresh and still physical is to have a lot of depth. Then guys are hungry for snaps but still not playing gassed when a lot of injuries occur.

3 Likes