Burning Questions, Free Agency Summary, Draft Talk

I think this sums up my view as well. Saint, Jamo, Reynolds and Raymond make up a pretty solid WR core. Another contributor is needed IMO. Do they need a 10m a year Chark signing? No. And I think it’s why he’s still unsigned. If he ends up being available for closer to what Montgomery signed then the Lions might be in. Otherwise they may sign a lesser FA or look to draft someone in the middle rounds.

Short term - agree. Long term? Well…. They have Paschal, Hutch and Commish signed past this season. They need more juice than that long term IMO.

Agree with this :100:

I understand that fans look at draft picks as ways to patch current roster holes…. But it’s without a doubt NOT how the front office looks at the draft. They’re not looking at the prospects at 6 and thinking “who can we take to patch a hole here.” They’re looking at adding a building block to this franchise for the next half decade.

2 Likes

Luke…I hear your thought but damned if I can figure out who is the best player in this draft starting at around #6 or so. Some folks thing it is Tyree Wilson and maybe maybe that is right but I am not blown away by his game at this point. The likely available QBs don’t feel right for me and that will start a QB distraction. Is it a guard (Skoronski)? Is Witherspoon that good?

Dead, thank you for the update but I am really looking at how Will Harris is worth more than Elliott overall. That is VERY surprising to me. If I would have noted on this board that Will Harris would be paid more than Elliott folks would have laughed at me but damn, it happened.

1 Like

I get it, and I’m in the same boat. Gonzo is about my fav currently but I may change my mind 10 times more before the draft.

1 Like

I quit questioning a while ago and now I’m just enjoying the ride and waiting on pins and needles for the next move….hopefully one that sends a few know it alls into a tail spin meltdown.

3 Likes

Brad be spending

1 Like

Will is probably slot, but, he’s a DB. He knows all of the positions. Is he great? Eh…
Is he a great deal for a backup everything and decent slot? Oh, hell yeah!
He’s probably at home with his nose in the LB playbook.

3 Likes

Yea I was way off on Elliot as well. I thought he’d at least get 3 mill per season. 1.7 mill on a 1 year deal, either teams are terrified of his injury history or we are missing something. Noticeable difference in run defense when he was and wasn’t on the field. Perhaps box safeties just aint worth much. He’s barely getting more than vet minimum.

1 Like

Couple things here:

Elliott had really bad coverage grades and actually pretty poor run grades as well. Someone laid those stats out a couple weeks ago. It was clear then that losing him would be addition by subtraction. Will Harris is a Swiss Army knife. He’s available, never injured, solid character. A survivor. They want him. Money talks.

The Elephant in the room?…yes, I’ve never been less certain of what they might do with their picks and I am slightly nervous that Brad is gearing up to take his biggest, riskiest draft day swing for the fences at 6 with a QB. It’s kind of exciting but more than anything it’s super nerve wracking. Get it right, emerge with a Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts type QB and you’re golden for 15 years. Blow that pick and you’ve set yourself way back.
It’s entirely possible.

2 Likes

I agree If we are not taking Carter I have no idea. With the addition of Sutton it has cooled me thinking of Witherspoon well that and he has not been working out at the combine or pro day. Is it Levis?? The kid is tough and he has a rocket arm but I was not impressed by his performance on the field this year.

To give Brad credit I will say ever pick has been a good football player on tape. I just don’t see anyone that checks all the boxes.

My new top cinco for seis

Anderson
JSN
Gonzo
Wilson
Murphy

Cat Wiggle GIF
General Surgeon warns: Pu^^y is a trap !

Why tho? Where does this mindset come from? A couple decades ago when top 10 contracts were a liability? It’s such a weird talking point.

What? Okay, let me break it down. Rookie wage scale was ratified in the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement, so we’re 12 years in. When rookie contracts were more lucrative, busts would set franchises back further financially. But the damage a franchise suffers lies primarily in the loss of human capital- on-field performance, not just money. In 2010 the number 6 pick OT Russell Okung signed a six year contract with Seattle for $58 million, $29 million guaranteed. One year later in 2011 the number 6 pick Julio Jones signed a four year contract with Atlanta for $16.2 million, all guaranteed. The difference in the guaranteed money over the life of the contract was just $1M/year: $5M/year for Okung vs $4M/year for Jones. Point being: blowing the #6 overall pick in any draft set’s a franchise back significantly, period- irregardless of the money. The money just made it sting a little more pre-2011. Nothing weird about that my man

2 Likes

You made my point for me. There is minimal risk between a QB or any other position. You’re saying a bust, any bust, hurts your franchise. Agreed. But any position can bust. Look at Levi and look at Jamo so far. It can happen to any position. It’s not like it Jamo busts it sets the franchise back any further than selecting a QB that doesn’t end up being “the guy.” You can still over come it relatively easy. It’s not crippling like it once was.

Anyway happy to disagree because you made my point for me. So we can both see the same situation and take away different perspectives

1 Like

Blow that pick and Goff is playing for Green Bay in 2 years.
Do you want the number 8 QB un the NFL, whose proven to be a winner 5 out of 7 years, 3 Pro Bowls, 1 Super Bowl appearance, whose only non-winning winning seasons were his rookie season on a rebuilding team, and his first year here, after the Quitricia duet laid waste to our roster, or take a chance that AR15 might be more durable than Lamar Jackson?
He’s not as accurate as Goff. He better be great on those feet, and be able to stay on them.
That’s a an absurdly bad bet!

3 Likes

You think this board is missing consideration for a QB???

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.