C.J. Stroud knows how Ohio State football fans will view him after second

It will be interesting to see how the NFL views Stroud.

1 Like

He didn’t lose us this game. Ryan Day and Jim Knowles lost us this game.

I’m honestly shocked at how plain Knowles played his defense. He’s been known all these years to give complex looks to the offense and to disguise everything, and all he did was play press cover 0 for 4 quarters, not adjusting to anything.

Again, that was the most pathetic coaching I’ve ever seen by Ohio State.

1 Like

When Donovan Edwards broke those two long runs, it reminded me of Jahvid Best against the Bears on MNF. It was apparent the run fits weren’t there.

My other thought was OSU has a long history of high quality LB play. The last two seasons haven’t been up to that tradition.

1 Like

The last “good” LB I’d say that went through Ohio State was Raekwon MacMillan. At least in college.

After that, we had guys show flashes, but none of them were that good IMO. That includes Eichenberg this year. Eichenberg is a product of Knowles’ system. Interestingly though, Eichenberg is playing the same position at OSU that Malcolm Rodriguez played at Oklahoma State under Knowles.

Hopefully CJ Hicks is the next great OSU LB, but who knows how bad he got hurt yesterday.

1 Like

I’m still really concerned about Michigan’s running game. The thing that makes Donovan Edwards almost as good as Corum is that he’s a better receiver, but not with a cast on his hand he’s not. We need these guys to heal up pronto. I think we can get by the B10 champ with a one armed Donovan Edwards but after that…

It really was. I don’t understand why the howl isn’t louder for Ryan Day’s firing. It needs to happen.

Its not just about this game. Or last game. Its about how soft Ohio State has become with this talent.

1 Like

Michigan played yesterday with nothing to lose. We played, and coached, not to lose.

Guess who won?

1 Like

Yup. Came out of the half and didn’t adjust. Stayed with a single safety high approach, which shocked me. They were basically so worried about the run (despite not having Corum), they dared JJ to beat them.

Well…

1 Like

Probably because he’s 11-1 this season and 45-5 overall. He’s never had more than two losses in a season, and that was only once. The expectations of Ohio State fans have become grossly inflated.

Day inherited a great program, and to me that’s not the same as building one. So I would never put him at the level of some of the greats. I wouldn’t even put him in that conversation. He has to earn that over the long haul. That said he has done nothing to warrant losing his job.

4 Likes

The announcers were drooling all day over Eichenburg and clamoring on and on about how great he is.

C.J. Stroud isn’t mentally tough IMO. He folds under pressure. Just like players that have played at OSU before, he is a benefactor of the talent around him. I see him flopping in the NFL. I rather have someone like JJ McCarthy leading the Lions to be honest.

1 Like

The Michigan/Ohio State rivalry is crazy. Day is literally winning 90% of his games, but if half of his losses are in that one game right after Thanksgiving he will be on the hot seat (at least with the fans).

1 Like

Hopefully the 3-4 weeks before the game helps.

You don’t understand Ohio State.

1 Like

As long as he is losing to Michigan his Day’s days are numbered. Not to mention Ohio State is soft. That is unacceptable. And if you watch that game, IMO, the game was lost by coaching. You can lose to Michigan sometimes but you can’t get embarrassed.

1 Like

I do wonder a little if some of it is Stroud. Hard to say where the soft mentality comes from with Ohio State. I give credit to Michigan for being physical, but its not the first game where it was shocking to see Ohio State not be the more physical team

I think OS fans have a really hard time losing to UM, my step son is a OS fan , I have to hear him talk about how UM is trash and OS owns them. It was kinda humbling for him watching them lose and get man handled.

Their fan base just got used to the rivalry being one sided for a long period of time. They now can’t handle the fact that it just might not stay that way. Two in a row is causing a melt down. I watched the Michigan fan base do the same with Lloyd Carr. I watched two Michigan coaches run out of town for the same reason. I watched Harbaugh almost ran out of town for going 0-5. The Ohio State situation isn’t special, their fan base has just convinced themselves it is.

1 Like

That’s not it.

Day is the same coach today as the first day he took over. Harbaugh just isn’t. It took him a while to figure out what Michigan was going to be. He started out chasing every 5 star athlete out there, irregardless of fit, because he felt he had to go toe to toe with the top ranked programs. He finally went back to who he is and built a physical football team of mostly 3 and 4 star athletes.

Ohio State has to adapt. Day isn’t going to flick a switch and make it better. He has to figure out what they need to be, and recruit and coach to be it.

To just fire a guy with a 90% win percentage is just fanbase overreaction. If he can’t turn it around, sure, but to literally demand it after Saturday’s game doesn’t land with the rest of college football the way Ohio State fans think it does. Just like Michigan needed, the Ohio State fan base needs a reality check.

1 Like