Calijah Kancey - Thoughts and Where Would You Take Him?

I was looking back through everything we’ve posted about him, and we’ve talked about him at length, but there isn’t a specific thread where we organized everything regarding him as a prospect so that’s what this will be for.

I personally think his stock is going to continue to rise, and if he has the combine he is rumored to, I wouldn’t be shocked to see 18 become below his projected value. Actually, I wouldn’t be surprised if he starts making a case for 6 after the combine if neither of the corners start to separate themselves.

If you asked me, today I’d take him at 18. PFF has him 14th on their board right now and Mel Kiper is clearly on his hype train. A IDL flamethrower is exactly what we need to pair with McNeill and Buggs. You can never have too many good pass rushers.

He’s obviously not going to be a + run defender in the NFL IMO, due to his 6’0" 280-290 lb build, but he’s not a liability on runs when he doesn’t get double teamed. If you double team Kancey to create space, that frees everyone else up to be 1 on 1, which hopefully given who our other guys are can be a win for us.

Do you think the people who tab him as a 1st rounder are crazy? Do you think the people who don’t have him as a 1st rounder clearly haven’t watched his film? What do you think about him and where do you think he should go?

1 Like

It’ll be interesting to see what he weighs at the combine. I’ve seen his weight listed all over the place on different sites. Sure can rush the passer inside, can he hold up vs the run in the nfl though!?

1 Like

I’m looking for 32” arms, 6’ and 280 as “qualifying”….

Then I need to see 28 plus reps on bench… 32” plus vertical and a sub 1.65 10 yd. A Donald was 1.63… Cox and D Payne were 1.66 sec, but much bigger…

If that all happens, then for sure I would take him at 18…

2 Likes

I wouldnt be surprised if he is closer to 260 than 280. He looks like an old school 90s LB out there. That might drop him down a lot of boards. Personally im not that high on him, want a bigger guy.

1 Like

6? As a 275lb DT?

I agree, he doesn’t look very big, but I’m sure he will drink a gallon of water before he weighs in. The oldest trick in the book to add about 8-10 pounds.

He really only looks about 260 to me.

I’m not even sure he’s 270 at the time of this interview. Thaf’s one slight DT.

2 Likes

Beat me to it. He looks like a MIKE

1 Like

He really doesn’t look much bigger than Derrick Barnes, who is 6 foot - 240. Now perhaps Kancey has been training and eating like crazy since the college season ended. But, good luck holding up vs the run in the nfl at 260-270 at DT.

1 Like

He’s definitely not Aaron Donald.

1 Like

Kancey just needs to take a few extra vitamins! Starting with a heavy dose of Vitamin T and Vitamin HGH.

2 Likes

People want the next Donald. People were scarred of his size… This guy is no where near the same prospect in any meassurable category. His size and length alone pushes him off my board until the 3rd. His strength solidifies that. We cant have him and houston on the same line. Now way that is successful.

Donald was ripped and strong as a bull… also with arm length that makes up for his height.

1 Like

I think Kancey probably played in the mid 260s at Pitt.

He’ll probably bulk up to around 280 and hope his metrics still hold up at that weight.

1 Like

Yeah i think he has to put on 20lbs of muscle and be shredded like amon ra to be successful… he looks like a soft 265

He can be successful as is as a sub package guy. I’m fine with that on day 2. At 18? Eesh. #6? GTFO

1 Like

This is where I am. I loved him when I thought we could get him in the 3rd. I liked him with our 2b pick and I would have been OK taking him at 2a. But I can’t get on board in the 1st. He’s a supplemental piece, someone you add to your DL to give the offense something else to think about. He’s not foundational IMO.

I’m also really intrigued by his arm measurements. I think there’s a chance they’re in the 30.5 inch range. They look really short on tape.

2 Likes

I should have said i dont think he will be a successful 3 down starting 3t DT without significant work adding muscle.

1 Like

If his arms are 30.5 then i say 6th round

It’s more likely they’re longer, I’m just saying there’s a percentage chance they’re very short.

I think I’d rather just take AA even if that means acknowledging the floor is lower (as a DT).

The thing with AA is I’m quite confident he can be a solid base end so that helps mitigates risk. When it’s close opt for the Nigerian-American. It’s the Lions way.

2 Likes