Calvin Austin, at 32 or 34?

I didn’t know who he was until 2 days ago. Then I saw the video of his 4.03 combine 40.
Biggest downside, he’s only 5’7". That didn’t hinder him in college.
Still, he’s projected to be an All Pro/Pro Bowl caliber receiver at “X”, Flank, and Slot. Also, has return capabilities.
I like what he brings.

1 Like

Honest question, when is the last time a 5’7" WR had a successful NFL career?

3 Likes

Yep! I totally get it.
A 39" vertical will help.
Still, lots of green. Over 1,100 receiving yards last year, (over 1,300 all purpose), nearly 1,100;in 2020.
The kid was a walk on, and had to fight every step. First to get scholarship (as a sophomore).
Then to become a starter. He’s no stranger to having to change minds.

Let alone picked in the first round

he’s gonna be a 4th or 5th round guy with that size…. combined with the the depth of this draft.

Not my projection. I’m asking how Lions fans would feel about it?.
The article projects him late round one, early round 2, with the possibility to fall into the 3rd (largely because of height concerns).

Not at 32. That’s how I feel

1 Like

I’d like it better if we had a late round 2 pick, but, we don’t.
I think this kid added to Chark, St. Brown, J Reynolds, and Hock, would be formidable.
4.03!

I wouldn’t take him before the late 3rd, but Tutu Atwell went in the second last year at an inch taller and five pounds lighter, and I actually like Austin’s tape better. FOs fall in love with speed.

5 Likes

He limped out of last season with 322 yards in his last 6 games total, with a hi of 88 vs SMU. He had 827 yards in the first 6 games. Maybe teams figured out how to cover him, not sure, but I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a drop off like that that wasn’t injury related. I saw where he missed a few plays vs SMU, but that’s it. Did well at the senior bowl and combine, saw where someone had him as a good fit for the Bears opposite Mooney. Bears had former Memphis Tiger Anthony Miller who absolutely killed the Lions…but nobody else. There is too much talent at WR in this draft to have to roll the dice on a guy that is an outlier, pass.

1 Like

Only at 97 maybe, or after.

1 Like

I’m not really sure where that 4.03! is coming from…. but maybe somebody mistakenly looked at his SS and thought it was a 40?

Anyhow… kind of ironic that the MathBomb has his comp as one of our current players….

1 Like

Austin did not run a 4.03. The earth is not flat. Alligators do not live in the NYC sewer system. I am not a member of MENSA. I know the last one comes as a surprise…

1 Like

gene wilder oompa loompa GIF

32 or 34 or 66 is ultra stupid. Thats how I feel. Its a great draft to have picks 25-75. Lets not use it on Speedy Gonzalez, huh?

1 Like

Austin is a much better tactician than Tutu. If he was 6’2" he’d be the top WR in the draft. Of course that’s like saying if Rich Ankiel could throw strikes he would’ve been Sandy Koufax.

1 Like

Out of the speed demons, Danny Gray is the guy that I want the most. Ultimately though we really only have room for one rookie WR and hence I’d like us to be looking further up the food chain.

1 Like

I’ll take one Jameson Williams please.

1 Like

Show me a guy who can’t pitch inside and I’ll show you a loser…Sandy Koufax

1 Like

Works for me. If we grab either him or Metchie we probably
can keep two rookie WRs with them starting on the PUP list.

I wasn’t even thinking of him though. I meant out of the Thornton, Austin? jones, Gray mid round types.

1 Like

They botched his combine time. There’s a YouTube video and he clearly crossed the line at 4.03. I posted it on another thread. I’ll try to find it again.
Here you go.