Calvin Johnson named best WR of the decade

Don’t bother, I’ve tried already. It’s just a lot of irrational hate towards the guy.

1 Like

I was referring to a couple guys who had their careers ended and lives threatened on the field playing for the Lions. Certain fans here want to make it out the CJ was some kind of warrior playing thru major injuries, and that wasn’t the case.

As for NYLion, that’s not hate. It’s calling out people who bend over backwards to create some drama that isn’t there.

well to be honest when he came running off the field with brian baldinger fingers I was pretty much ICK.

Real football players cut off their own finger and get back in the game - Ronnie Lott

Call me crazy but I think a wide receiver needs all his fingers

2 Likes

man I’d love to play football for millions of dollars but…no. I’m not jumping on handgrenades to save my friends, it is, after all, just a game.

What ?
Calvin hands down the best WR of anyone named in this thread and the idea that he did not play half the decade is laughable as being relevant……

Calvin Johnson 2010 - 2015… 538 receptions, 8538 yards, 62 TD’s, 15.9 yards per rec

L.Fitzgerald…. 2010 - 2019…855 receptions, 10,016 yards, 61 TD’s, 11.7 yards per rec

Look at those numbers and then take into consideration Calvin accomplished those numbers in 68 less games played . The idea that he did not play half the decade should be noted as amazing that he won the honor not a knock.

Comments like these are what caused the drama. Calling the guy a quitter, saying that he wasn’t dominant because the team sucked, saying that he disappeared in big games.

Yes, that’s irrational hate and a myth (the coming up small in big games) that caused the combative replies. The guy balled out for the Lions and only at the end when his play started deteriorating did he start to drop a lot of balls and struggled to gain separation mainly because he was playing injured. It still doesn’t take away from the fact that for a good 7 year period, he was a dominant player who did all he could to carry this sad sack team and for the most part shut his mouth and did his job.
It’s easy to call somebody a quitter from behind your keyboard when you don’t have to deal with the every day grind an NFL player has to go through.

2 Likes

Law of attraction is real AF.

2 Likes

If only he could be as tough as you, oh mighty keyboard warrior! Teach us more about hard work and dedication, and just how to be better at life!

2 Likes

so you’re saying that if fitzgerlad had played here he not only would have put up better numbers than CJ but that he also would have single-handedly and magically lead the lion’s to more success (playoff games, super bowls, etc)?

put another way, had CJ played on the SB team that fitzgerald had you don’t think CJ would have gone to a SB and perhaps won it which fitzgerlad didn’t?

1 Like

I cannot believe some of the things I’m reading about one of the best players to ever wear blue and silver.

He certainly was a douche for how he handled paying back the bonus but plenty of folks thought Lions were in the wrong for asking.

I always think it’s comical when guys on this forum talk about a player not caring. You see if with Stafford debates as well.

CJ was a freak and dominated so many games. The similarities between him and Barry are very interesting.

No problem with him getting called best of decade. He was an absolute monster that took over games, made catches over 3 guys and could run like a gazelle.

5 Likes

He was. Easily

He and Moss were the two most un-coverable WRs ever.

Jerry Rice was outstanding for a long time but if you take the guys at their peak and could only have one of them for one season I would take Moss or Megatron

5 Likes

Short memories in this thread. CJ was completely dominant at the beginning of the decade. The last couple years of his career, not so much. He was broken and a shell of himself. He’d go down on first contact, especially when guys were blasting his knees and ankles. The dude could barely peel himself off the turf towards the end. He was geriatric out there. Him quitting was no surprise. He should retired a year earlier and the Lions should have let him keep that money to avoid all of the bad publicity. No other storied franchises pull that crap.

BUUUUUT, he was the first WR to ever receive gunner coverage on the goalline. I still don’t understand how that’s not a penalty when two guys were mugging him at the line but I digress. CJ was often triple covered and defenses were so complex and geared towards stopping him, that game planning against defenses were thrown out the window due to the exotic coverage schemes against CJ. There was no tape to prepare for what was happening.

We had designed routes where CJ would be catching the ball 6 feet out of bounds while he toed the boundary. Literally, uncoverable. When he was healthy he completely dominated in the open field with stiff arms, outrunning the best CBs in the league like Patrick Peterson eating his dust, and leaping over triple teams to pull down TDs. When he was tackled he would fall forward for 4 yards. He was a force of nature.

Sure he had some infamous plays (the non-TD against the Bears, the fumble against the Seahawks, the drop & false start against Dallas) but in my memory those plays don’t overshadow all the amazing plays he made and how he was literally the only thing to enjoy about Lions football for years.

3 Likes