Came here hoping this might be a good Lions message board

My kids don’t get that. Detroit is my home team. Theirs too, but, they’re generic fans. “They like football”, especially the winning teams.
They’re all happy and well adjusted. Hmm?

2 Likes

My kids tried.
Watching their Dad suffer every Sunday as the Lions struggled week after week, year after year, drove them away. I don’t blame them and they’re probably better off.
My oldest son is scarred for life from 2008 and opening day against Atlanta. He will never forget that horror show and that’s the day he decided he couldn’t do it…he was 16…

1 Like

They didn’t see that it built such amazing character? It’s easy to be a fan of a team that wins all the time. Almost cowardly.

Support a team that doesn’t win. Now THAT is an act of bravery.

1 Like

My kids are always bringing up the time ‘dad threw his Lions jacket and memorabilia in the garbage in a fit of rage’.
Invariably one will say, ‘which time’.
Yeah, I’m sure they want some of that, right?

I didn’t do that yesterday, though. I barely even lost my mind. I think?

2 Likes

Well, I’m in for life and while I want to say it’s been great, it’s really worn on me the last 4 or 5 years. I had a major health situation 4years ago and now it’s IF the Lions ever win the Super Bowl in my life instead of when.
My kids will jump on board if they threaten to win but I’m fine with them spending their time and energy elsewhere…I have built all the character I’ll ever need…haha…

I’m a different person during football games than in the rest of my life. I’m a pissed off, edgy, surly SOB while in the rest of my life I’m a pretty level headed positive person…my kids see that and they’ve asked me why…don’t have any great answers

1 Like

I completely understand! Thank God for this board and you guys!
I’m sure any given Tuesday would find me drooling in a corner repeating, 'why? Why? Why?.." if not for you guys.

I don’t get too upset with losses anymore. It’s normal life. I would find a world where the Lions are even somewhat competent to be odd and unfamiliar

1 Like

The Talking Heads should add that line to their song…”this is not my beautiful house. This is not my beautiful wife. This is not my Lions winning on the large television!..watching the days go by…”

3 Likes

So your solution to all of the Stafford talk is to start another thread talking about Stafford?

Oh, and welcome.

1 Like

I think 99% of this board will openly state that Stafford made errors in Sundays game.

I believe Sundays end result can be pointed to three main culprits:

1. I think the points scored in the last 3 quarters had more to do with Bevell changing from an agressive approach in the first half to a passive approach in the second half/OT. He stopped doing what was working as Warren sharp points out in his tweet posted elsewhere.
  2. Lions defense giving up 18 points in the 4th quarter to what might be the worst team in the NFL was another culprit.
  3. Deckers numerous penalites wiping out first downs basically stopping drives.

Yes Stafford made mistakes but, on this particular Sunday, the L fingers point away from the QB. At least for me.

But I do take great comfort in the fact that you and others are here to make sure that the small, small minority “how dare you question wonderful Matts wonderful performance blah blah blah” posters will be called out. Thanks for having our backs not sure what we would do without you guys. Stand tall and proud and preach it from the mountaintops.

1 Like

Stafford made one really bad play in the game, at the end. And if the defense and coaching didn’t blunder it never would have happened in the first place.

1 Like

The crazy thing is the lions run to milk the clock becoming more one dimensional and leading to non-scoring drives…I get it. It’s a near-insurmountable lead

But then the one crucial down where they should have run to keep the clock going they throw deep

1 Like

It’s “irrelevant” that the Lions scored 7 points in three quarters against a bad team, Phxlion?

You think that might have had a teensy bit of influence on blowing an 18-point lead in the fourth quarter? An 18-point lead plus another touchdown becomes a 25-point lead. A little harder to blow.

1 Like

Remember that time Stafford erased a 26 point deficit against the Vikings in “garbage time”?

Too many Lions Fans are extremely negative, uninformed and ridiculously believe that a top QB can just make all of the teams problems disappear. The only reason there is any hope in Detroit is because of Stafford. If he gets hurt, the Lions will not win another game all year. That would not happen in GB, MN or Chicago or really anywhere in the NFL. He is that important to our success.

2 Likes

If Stafford ends the year with a 110 rating I guarantee you’ll be happy
Unlikely for sure
But really, can’t pin this one on Stafford
It’s like the entire franchise was working against him in the 4th
Nobody stepped up, more like they stepped in the way

I dunno. I think Stafford is a pretty good QB - somewhere between 10-15 in the NFL. I don’t think he’s irreplaceable though. It would be interesting to compare the W-L during his 10 years vs the 10 years before

I knew you’d have a response. Did you see all the penalties and the LT play?
I’m not getting into a debate here. Again, 24-6 4th Quarter lead and we didn’t turn it over. We should have been able to take knees the rest of the game and still win…

Jr is somewhat right, not because Staffford is some special QB but more because of the lack of talent at our backup position…but I do believe Josh Johnson could win a game or two, probably more because of his legs than his arm.

2 Likes