Campbell makes questionable decisions (but they still won, so he has that going for him)

Yes I was screaming in my basement for 2 minutes on that no call.

3 Likes

I don’t think the field goal was the right decision. I also don’t think it was an egregiously horrible decision. I do know that I sure am glad that Dan Campbell is our head coach.

4 Likes

Yeah - If Badgley makes the field goal most people say DC made the right call. Because he missed everyone decides to say it was a bad decision. Had he gone for it on 4th and we failed to get it would it have been a bad decision? If we punted and went into the endzone would that have been a bad decision? People tend to forget that for the most part football games are won and lost based on execution. We had bad execution on and off all day long. That is one of the reasons this was such a tough win. That and a really good Jets defense.

1 Like

My perception is that MCDC is improving. He is definitely a little rough with some situations IMO, but as long as he keeps improving I’m cool. He is getting a lot out of his players, pretty much maximizing the talent level right now… and that alone is hard to do. Especially while embedded in such a losing culture.

3 Likes

and it wasn’t even close. I mean I’ve watched our guys get off and it looks like they might leave a millisecond early but this dude was a full step back.

3 Likes

2 Likes

The decision to kick the FG wasn’t right or wrong, it was just a decision. Badgley probably makes that kick 50% of the time.

I would have punted it though.

3 Likes

I think MCDC will learn from this—can’t trust his kicker to consistently make something over 50 yards.

1 Like

Not outside in the cold he doesn’t. I mean you saw how short that was and he didn’t kick it wrong, looked like a good normal shot that might have squeaked over the crossbar if it was just under a 49 yard kick…maybe.

Yea he does. The Lions knew the distances that Badgley could make each way from pre-game. He didn’t catch it good.

2 Likes

How many people in here would have crucified the fake punt if it failed. The same people who praised the call would be the same people who would crucify it when it doesn’t work.

Could you imagine if Sewell dropped that ball and we lose. We would hear how big an idiot he was for throwing to an OLineman in that situation. What about the TD to Wright yesterday? Could you imagine if Wright dropped the ball? Everyone would say why would you throw it to you TE in such a key situation with the game on the line right after he dropped one a couple plays earlier.

Too many people on here are armchair coaches after the decision is made. I see people on the live game day thread saying how stupid a decision is before it it made and then we convert and everything is good. Was the decision still stupid?

At the end of the day, Campbell has earned my trust. He may not make everything decision I would make, but he sure knows a hell of a lot more than me. As someone said in this thread already, it was just a decision, not a right or wrong decision.

6 Likes

Yet you said it was the right call so you did take a side saying it was the right decision, some people think it was the wrong call. That’s what these boards are for, to form opinions on team decisions and debate about it.
There is no right or wrong when it comes to something subjective like coaching decisions, it’s just people having different opinions.

FTR, just because I questioned that call doesn’t mean that I’m not thrilled with the job Campbell is doing. I mean, how can one not be happy with him at this point? It doesn’t mean his decisions shouldn’t come into question though.

1 Like

It will be even a better call next year when we get a kicker that has the leg to hit a 54 yarder ir longer.

Definitely need an upgrade, especially the way Dan talks about weaponizing all three phases of the game.

2 Likes

This. Jeff Risdon wrote an article a few weeks back….it was the week the jags beat the ravens…so t-day weekend. He got to watch all the Sunday games since we played earlier. He noted 7 different coaches (number might not be factual by one or two) made several blunders INCLUDING pillar of the coaching community John harbaugh. Second guessing is part of the NFL and water cooler Monday…I’d love to see less “MCDC sucks what the ■■■■ was that decision” and more “MCDC is a damn good coach but why did he do that?”

But my personality hates emotional
Extremes.

5 Likes

GREAT Post. I’ve been meaning to post something similar for awhile. You can look real good when players execute and real bad when they don’t.
I also have faith in Campbell, and don’t necessarily agree that “he’s learning”. Rather - we’re executing. And winning. Go back to the Pats game and I can support pretty much every decision he made, we just didn’t execute. The team is growing, but I want Dan to be Dan and not be gun shy. And you can bet that DC won’t let anybody alter his tendencies.
For the record - going for it on 4th and 1 is a clear “agree” for me. And the FG, I would have leaned toward either going for it or punting, just because of the weather. But it sure wasn’t clear cut - maybe 40/40/30… with the FG being 30. So its not a real bad decision, I just would have leaned the other way.
Again, great post @detroit1811

3 Likes

Isn’t the kicker from U of Maryland supposed to be pretty good? Is better than the kid from U of M?

1 Like

I would have ran it again on 3rd down.

Niiiice!

I agree on this call i wanted the punt due to weather conditions . But I have no problem with call .

I [quote=“DeadStroke, post:30, topic:19950, full:true”]

Yea he does. The Lions knew the distances that Badgley could make each way from pre-game. He didn’t catch it good.
[/quote]

I agree Dead but my call would have been punt , but I can live with the FG try also.