Can 2022 Be Our Year?

I know I’ve done a few of these, but looking ahead is all we got and I like getting everyones input. So I want to pose a question for some of the more less optimistic Lions fans here. Is there any chance at all of competing for a wild card or even the division in 2022.

I think there is. This defense is extremely young and very scrappy. With a few more pieces, and a year of experience they may be decent next year. How does everyone everyone think this roster would fare.

Re-sign

JRM 2 years 7mil, year 1 cap hit 3mil
Anzalone 2 years 5mil, year one cap hit 2mil
Walker 4 years, 40mil, year 1 cap hit 5mil
Raymond 3 years, 10mil, year 1 cap hit 2.5mil
Charles Harris 2 years 10mil, year 1 cap hit 4mil
Hand 1 year 2.5mil

Release Trey Flowers and Vatai, and trade Jared Goff (Denver and Pittsburgh would be good fits). I realize trading Goff may be a pipe dream at this point, but one can hope.

Sign

Marcus Williams 5 years, 65mil, year one cap hit 7mil
Mike Williams 4 years, 60mil, year one cap hit 10.5mil
Mo Alie Cox 2 years, 7mil, year one cap hit 2.75mil
Marcus Mariota 1 year, 4mil
Josey Jewell 1 year, 2.5mil
Casey Hayward 2 years, 12mil, year one cap hit 4mil

Draft Thibodeaux, Treylon Burks, Desmond Ridder (Starting to like him more as a late 1st/early 2nd prospect), best ILB available, best OG available, then grab some depth at safety, OT, and RB.

Offense

QB Mariota, Ridder, Blough
RB Swift, Williams, Jefferson, Rookie
FB Cabina
WR Mike Williams, Burks, Cephus, Raymond, St Brown
TE Hockenson, Alie Cox, Brock Wright
LT Decker, rookie
LG Jackson, Stenberg
C Ragnow
RG Rookie/Evan Brown
RT Sewell, Nelson

Defense

DE Brockers, Onwuzurike, Hand
NT McNeil, Penisini
Edge Thibodeaux, R. Okwara, J. Okwara, Harris, Bryant
ILBer Jewell, Anzalone, Barnes, JRM, rookie
CB Okudah, Casey Hayward, Amani, Parker, Melifonwu, Jacobs
S Marcus Williams, Tracy Walker, Bobby Price, rookie

Special Teams

K Seibert
P Fox
LS Daly

Obviously Mariota (Or insert Fitzpatrick/Tyrod/Bridgewater/Newton) would stand out as the biggest question mark. With a top shelf Oline and running game though I think someone like Mariota may fit. There would be weapons on offense in Swift, Hockenson, Williams and Burks with plenty of role players. Defense would be young but filled with a lot of talent. That is a deep group of edge rushers and Walker and Williams might be the best safety combo we ever had. Both the top FAs fill a major need and have a strong connection to this staff. I think we could really use a solid veteran CB to help bring along all the young guys and stabilize the group.

I tend to err on the optimistic side of things with the Lions, so wanted to get some input on the guys here who don’t. I tried to be pretty realistic with the moves and contracts. I do realize Goff may not be tradeable at this point, but he is still young and has a respectable resume. I’m hoping Lynn’s ties to Mike Williams and Campbell/Glenn’s ties to Marcus Williams may be able to lure them here. After all these signings and signing the rookies we would be sitting on 5-8mil in cap space entering next season.

So all in all if the offseason went like this can the Lions compete in the Aaron Rodgers less (hopefully) NFC North? The Packers are 30mil over the 2022 cap and will still be 10mil over if they trade Rodgers. Plus they have DeVante Adams to re-sign. The Vikings are almost 10mil over at this point. The Bears do have the cap room, but have holes all over the place just like us, plus they don’t have a 1st round pick. If Fields takes a giant step forward they could be decent, but thats a big if.

4 Likes

Yes. In 2022, we are starting to get closer to the Caldwell-ish success.

Maybe 7-10 wins. Defense will be a nice upgrade with talent, while the O all be average, until we get a QB.
15 ranked D
17 ranked 0
Mix Fox into that…one game above .500?

It would be HILARIOUS if Rodgers came here. Immediate division winner and playoff contender.
Most fun part of that - Lions winning
Close 2nd - Watching Packer fans cry

1 Like

If Rodgers was a FA this year I would give it a slight chance of happening just because he may want to “stick it to the Packers”. Couldn’t see Campbell/Holmes giving up assets for a QB of his age at this stage of a rebuild. Definitely is fun to think about though.

2 Likes

You’re right - Vikings would be a more likely landing spot

No matter what, I am just praying that Fields and Love both juuuuuuust frigginnnn SUCK!

2 Likes

I like the optimism but there are waaaay to many questions to be answered. You’d have to see tremendous growth from our rookies. Not a reach but also not out of the question. I personally wouldn’t resign hand. He’s alway injured and hasn’t contributed anything outside of his rookie year. Unless you can get him back for the veteran minimum I’d let him walk.

I’m not sure I’d cut vaitai unless you’re sure you have a better option in place. Depending on what happens at quarterback I think your ceiling is .500

1 Like

Wildcard, maybe.
Division, no.

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

I just hope we win a game!

5 Likes

I want this weekend to our weekend!

Win our first game baby!!

1 Like

Maybe I’m wrong on this, but if Rodgers does in fact leave 9-8 or 10-7 may win this division next year.

Hand was having a reallt good camp before he got hurt. Obviously him staying healthy the rest of the year and seeing how he performs will be the determining factor, but I bet he makes an impact. If so I wouldn’t mind brining him back on another 1 year deal.

As far as Vatai goes, I want to get his contract off the books. He has been decent this year, but he just makes too much. I think a cheap veteran stop gap or mid round rookie could come in and replicate his production.

More like 2122

1 Like

Who do you have winning a Rodgers-less NFCN?

I really hope you’re right about hand. I’d love to see him get back to his rookie form.

As far as big v….I like the makeup of our line. If our salary cap can handle his contract for another year sometimes it’s best sticking with the devil you know.

1 Like

Can they restructure him? He’s still pretty young too.

1 Like

I personally would put the Vikings at the top. Cousins has been playing maybe the best football of his career this year, plus they have some top end weapons in Cook, Jefferson, and Thielin. They also have some game changers on defense in Hunter, Henderson, and Harrison. The thing is though, can Cousins back up this year with another great season? Also will they retain Danielle Hunter who is said to want a trade or a new contract. Can Harrison Smith keep up his play as he is getting up there in age?

My point is without Rodgers, none of this teams will be much better then .500. With a little luck we could make some noise.

1 Like

I remember that, that video still cracks me up

1 Like

Hand has played in 14 games the past 3 seasons, while missing 26 games. Of the 14 games he’s played in, he wasn’t able to finish 3 of them. He’s started and finished 11 out of 40 games the past 3 seasons. I have very little hope for him to be healthy moving forward. Hand makes Kenny Golladay look like an iron man.

I like the way this O-Line looks to with the guys we got. If Big V restructures his deal I would gladly bring him back, but he is not worth 8.4mil next year plus over 10mil the two years after. Take the cap hit now and get rid of him or restructure him and bring him back at a more appropriate salary for a middling starting guard. He should be making 5mil a year tops.

The East, South, and West.

1 Like

This would be cool if it happens!’

1 Like