Can you coach health?

Dude, there are turds in every punchbowl, but yeah it wasn’t an easy place to be and you had to keep up (true of any SOF unit). That’s sort of the similarity there because we were always hurting somewhere, but the walk was happening and you either were in our out with little empathy if you were out. Are there a lot of broken former Rangers and NFL players? Yep. But for that moment in time, guys that can set aside pain and still perform at a high level are valued and rightly so.

1 Like

That is mislabeled. He was talking about everyone on the team, while answering a question about Swift.

1 Like

you can teach healthy methods of eating, training, lifestyle, habits, and that’s about it.

3 Likes

Agreed, there is only so much you can do. A lot of it just comes down to good and bad luck. Especially with the knee injuries or the achilles tears. It’s often just one sudden step or landing funny and boom your career just changed forever. At least modern surgery is much better and can save many careers, it sure wasn’t like that for most of NFL history.

3 Likes

Is Duce insinuating that Swift may be kind of a puss?

If the shoe fits…

You can coach training and conditioning. They will certainly assist in health.

But to quote Mike Tyson (and I don’t do that often), “Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.”

3 Likes

Or until you get a tattoo on your face, lol.

1 Like

LOL - as worded here…if the tampon fits.
So funny how you responded, man. Thanks for that.

I don’t think swift is soft, and I’m glad we have him, but truly, I don’t entirely trust his health.

1 Like

Smaller guys playing RB aren’t meant to get smashed 30 times a game.

My preferred strategy would be to run bigger guys like j williams and reynolds in the first half and keep Swift fresh as a 3rd and long or take away the opponents will guy for the 2nd half.

4 Likes

I think 10-15 touches per game would be a good way to use Swift. Something like 10 runs and 5 passes. I agree completely let Williams, Reynolds and Jefferson get a bunch of carries. Spread it around to all 4 of them to try to keep them all healthy. It’s a long season.

3 Likes

I keep going back to New Orleans as DCs biggest influence.

Swift is sort of Kamara and J will is sort of Ingram. Jefferson is a great mix of power and burst and can play any down (still have to see his receiving ability).

Have to have at least 3 guys carrying the rock and last year the Lions used 5.

2 Likes

I don’t think so. More like trying to tell a guy (from experience) what it takes to go from being good to being great. I think you can challenge someone, without necessarily insinuating that they really lack important traits. You probably aren’t a puss if you are an NFL RB, but if you want to be remembered for being a “great” NFL RB these are some of the things you are going to have to do to get there. For Swift it’s absolutely about availability and I’m sure he’s not unaware of that knock.

2 Likes

I think one MAJOR key is bringing in skill players that play somewhere near their god-given body weight.

Of course, all players add muscle weight.

I’m leery of the naturally skinny guy that has narrow hips and skinny legs … and then packs on 25 pounds up around the chest, arms and shoulders. He still has the joints and ligaments of a smaller individual who’s legs weren’t meant to carry that weight, especially while cutting and getting hit.

Football is a violent contact sport, so there will be contact injuries regardless of your build or preparation. Non-contact, repetitive stress injuries are where a team can make some better decisions.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.