Carlos gotta Carlos: Holmes hire "another big fail for Detroit"

1 Like

He’s just butt hurt they took someone that wasn’t on his list at the top, He’s a Jag

1 Like

Sounds like anyone not named Schneider or Colbert was going to a fail in Carlos opinion.

Has several legitimate questions as well.

2 Likes

All I do is listen to NFL podcasts when I run in the morning. And I keep hearing the local media laugh at Carlos. Apparently not many respect him nor take him seriously bc of how he writes. I have heard the expression from Jeff Risdon to name one “he is like the heel from WWE but he never surprises you with a good deed”.

My question is, he says the only home run was Schneider or Colbert. They weren’t happening. Everyone else was a risk. Why not this guy? How is it a Fail?

2 Likes

His concerns are legit.

2 Likes

Right…setting the bar at Schneider and Colbert (which just wasn’t realistically possible) is a high bar.

2 Likes

I’m not a Carlos fan but his concerns are, well, actually concerning. There is some validity to what he is arguing here.

Where Holmes was on a piece-of-paper list in the Rams front office?

That they couldn’t get Schneider or Colbert, so, fail?

1 Like

Carlos is a troll, but he happens to be spot on with this article.

1 Like

Why because he agrees with you?

Not trying to be a dick but how do you ACTUALLY know that this is a terrible hire? Yes he is inexperienced and we haven’t historical bad with these decisions, but can you not see that this process was much different and more thorough?

Things do change, look at the Browns for proof of that! Things are the same until they’re not.

1 Like

He’s right until he is wrong and history is on his side. We all hope he’s wrong but until the rubber hits the road anyone who slams this pretty much has some solid ground.

2 Likes

The only disagreement I have is that he conveniently fails to point out any positives about Holmes that COULD make him a success.

I’m not a fan of extremism. Calling Holmes an absolutely failure of a hire for reasons A and B, but not pointing out positive attributes X and Y is an example of thinking in absolutes, which is an inferior way of thinking imo.

It’s always healthier to consider multiple perspectives which Carlos fails to do here, and often fails to do in other situations.

It’s easy to predict a Lions decision will be a failure because odds are in your favor that you’ll be correct in a few years. It doesn’t necessarily mean his logic on why this is a failure is sound.

The thing I love about the article is that Carlos is aiming high, which is what the Lions need to do (or anyone needs to do) to achieve success.

2 Likes

I get that history is on his side and we need to be leary based on it, but this process has been different, and I don’t think that is debatable.

We took a different approach and this is what it netted us. Let’s give him a chance to speak before we start getting into a pissing match because “our” guy never got selected.

I can say this with certainty…none of us or Carlos sat in on the interviews or are privy to the meat and potatoes of them so there is no basis to say this is a bad hire

Carlos wanted his two guys…one was extended by his team and the other is on year to year contracts. That does not add stability to an organization that needs it.

Well - we are right until we are wrong so dam! It’s a freaking wash! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I disagree that history is on his side. he is saying this guy will fail because others have failed. the only connection is the lions so by that logic everyone (that hasn’t built a superbowl team elsewhere) with be another big fail. every GM out there started without experience. people could bash any hire, the only 2 he wanted are going where? I just think he enjoys being negative, I say it’s the greatest hire in the history of the world, and I’m right until I’m wrong as well. :wink:

I’ve laid out my thoughts on this hire in the thread talking about it… Many other valid points have been made by other posters as well. They said they wanted someone with experience, but then hire someone 5th in command, with no in building management experience because of a “impressive” interview. That screams of incompetence, which is what we all expect from ownership. If I were a betting man, his race played part in it along with wanting to keep the team semi intact to avoid a full rebuild, which is what most new GMs want to do. To get a quality GM, you have to be willing to give them the keys and leave them alone.

1 Like

No, the argument that Holmes does not have experience actually running a team. He has no experience with free agents. No experience with salary. Those are huge parts of being a GM.

I hope Holmes works out but Carlos pointing out that Detroit hired a 4th straight GM who has never run a team is a valid concern.

1 Like

Disner provides the salary cap skillset that he’s going to rely upon. Lance Newark, a 23-year Lions employee will provide the Pro scouting expertise. As bad as the Lions are, from Holmes’ perspective, he’s coming into a good situation. I expect there to be a lot of turnover within the scouting department, but the area he’s most lacking is probably where the Lions are the strongest.

1 Like

I get that they said they wanted someone with experience, but there is a reason that experience becomes available and it’s typically due to failure

Do you honestly think we had an opportunity to get Schneider or Colbert? And if so what was THEIR allure to come here.

I remember sitting in on a panel interview and an experienced guy came on and interviewed and left everyone underwhelmed…perhaps believing it was his to lose. In contrast a young up and comer came on and rocked the interview and got the position. He needed a little time to get up to speed but that guy did a fantastic job and was the better fit.

Only point I am trying to make is that we don’t know what Holmes brings to the table as we were not in the interviews and never heard how he was approaching this job…and in contrast we never heard the experienced guys either.

The hire is made…it feels different then Quinn’s so am hopeful but can’t get hung up on it because perhaps Holmes really is the best candidate.

1 Like

This is unfortunately true. I mean, it’s the Lions. History says it’ll fail.

1 Like