Carlos Monarrez is an idiot

Carlos is an opportunist. He’s in the perfect market for his shtick. The Lions are perennial losers. He can always claim things will be a disaster until the team finally shows it won’t.

I’m rather proud of myself of having never clicked on any of his fodder.

1 Like

same

I’ve never clicked the link either, but I have read some stuff that was copied and pasted into posts. I’m certainly not a fan and have no interest in his limited “insight” into the game. I’m forced to open the threads and read them to moderate, otherwise I wouldn’t even open them.

1 Like

You poor bastard… :wink:

I really need to take some online classes for “ sports journalism “ so I can make some of that Carlos money. This working for a living sucks while I give away all these Golden nuggets on this board for free. :joy:

Just change the word “working” to “the Lions” or just name a player or coach on the Lions staff, and you’ve got the start of another Carlos article. Good job, you are halfway there!

1 Like

Carlos is a columnist/editorial writer in the sports section, he gives opinions not news. His opinions are purposely designed to create controversy, think Valenti on the radio.

His columns probably drive talk radio in Detroit…

I know Valenti doesn’t need it, but I feel obligated to defend him here. Totally disagree that his takes on the Lions are all about creating controversy. He’s just honest about what he sees and what he thinks. And as much as people on this forum give him shit for being so negative about the Lions, it’s hard to argue that his criticisms over the years haven’t been 100% valid. For the record, he’s been pretty effusive about what the team is doing now.

I won’t defend Carlos, because I find what he does pretty transparent and boring. But it’s not like he invented the villain role in a local paper. Every major city with a sports team has had somebody play that role for about as long as there’s been sports sections. It’s exactly the same thing Skip Bayless does. I find it insulting to my intelligence, but apparently people eat that crap up, so if it keeps Carlos employed in an industry that’s falling apart, more power to him.

He’s gotten better over the years but he used to argue both sides of the coin. We used to discuss it on the den all the time

Every free agent we shouldn’t pay. Everyone is over paid. I don’t think I’ve ever heard him say that someone was a bargain or a good signing.

He was against paying Stafford
He was against paying Calvin.
He was against us paying Slay (twice)
He was against paying Tate.
He felt we over paid for Marvin Jones.
He felt we should have traded for OBJ when he was traded to CLE.
He was against Schwartz, Caldwell and MP.

I swear he used to just take the negative route on everything we did and didn’t do. But I’ll admit he’s gotten better in recent years.

1 Like

I like your teaching style.

homer simpson episode 6 GIF

I mean… It’s hard to argue that someone’s being unfairly negative arguing everything the Lions do is stupid, when pretty much everything the Lions do is stupid?

I do think he’s been on the “blow everything up” train for many years, and has had zero confidence in the people making these calls or the owners they were answering to. But I mean, if that’s where you’re coming from, I can understand hating pretty much everything the Lions have done in the last decade.

1 Like

My point in the Valenti thing was more about the opinions driving controversy which, not stated in my posted but inferred I thought, makes them comparable. Wasn’t a specific comparison on Lion topics with regards to Valenti as it has been years since I listened to him.

Used to be Drew Sharpe used to be R Parker and like you said every newspaper has the writer whose purpose is to do this.

That’s just it. He doesn’t ever give them credit when they do something right. Rare as it maybe.

Like getting Tate from Sea. He hated that move

Or like getting Marvin Jones. He hated that move too.

He never liked Stafford. Never felt we should have ever paid him.

The Corey Smith incident made it pretty hard to respect him.

It’s stances like these that made it hard to respect him.

I think he’s grown up some and gotten better but at one time he’s was pretty bad.

1 Like