Carlos thinks Stafford wants out and Lions should tank

You always want the most talent available when you’re picking. Even if it’s talent you have no interest in selecting yourself. It opens more choices for you at every pick. Opens up trade options.

Say you’re the Chargers. You absolutely love everything you’ve seen out of Herbert and you land the No1 overall pick.

You have no need to be there. You’re not taking either qb, You have your young franchise guy. But you damn well have everyone else by the balls who does want that pick. Someone is going to pay you a kings ransom for it. That allows you to finish building your team much easier.

OK, now think about this again from Stafford’s perspective. Is he, like you, going to hang this 100% on Quinn and Patricia? You and I can get away with that. We’re not there. We see a failed product. Some of those players have been struggling alongside the coaches, trying to produce wins. They know better than us where their own failures are. At a time when a coach and GM have been fired, I am not surprised that a pro like Stafford would come off seeming a little disappointed in the outcome.

I totally whiffed on this conversation anyway. @DeadStroke was being sarcastic about Carlos’s demeanor. I completely read that as talking about Stafford’s in a non-sarcastic way.

1 Like

Yeah just his bullshit opinion with a I spy out look

How has 40 years of high draft picks worked out for the Lions? And how do the Steelers always seem to turn out ok? Just curious. Because if what you’re saying is true, Detroit, Cleveland and Buffalo would have been great a long time ago.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Would the Colts have won a championship if they hadn’t had the #1 pick to take Manning?

You still have to take the right players, but the earlier you pick opens up more options.

Maybe if the person picking had a clue.

Are you trying to say the Lions wouldn’t be in a better place if they somehow fell into the first overall? This year?

No one would be willing to pay up to move up for Lawrence?

1 Like

Well, let’s play this argument out, I’d actually love to break it down. Let’s look at the past ten superbowl winners.

1) KC: Pat Mahomes, arguably the best player in the game, taken 10th overall. Lions chose Jarrad Davis at 21, could’ve had TJ Watt or Dalvin Cook, JJ Smith Schuster, or Alvin Kamara.

2) New England won 3 times, I don’t think we need to comb over their draft picks because they didn’t ever pick high.

3) Philly. They had Carson Wentz (2nd overall), and yeah he had a great year but Nick Foles took them to and won the Superbowl. Carson Wentz has been Meh ever since.

4) Denver. Von Miller was 2nd overall and a gamechanger so I’ll give you that one. Peyton Manning was their QB asa rental that year.

5) Seattle: The perfect example of the point I’m making. Incredible scouting and drafting. In 2012: They Drafted Bruce Irvin at 15, Bobby Wagner at 47 and Russell freaking Wilson at 75. The Lions on the other hand drafted (I apologize for opening this wound) Riley Reiff at 23, Ryan Broyles at 54, and (lol) Bill Bentley at 85. Kill me please.

6) Baltimore: Hall of famer Ray Lewis, LB taken in 1996 at #26 (they also took Johnathan Ogden at 4, another Hall of Famer). The Lions? Also drafted a linebacker: Reggie Brown. at #17 A Decent LB but no Ray Lewis, and suffered a career ending brutal injury. Ed Reed? Taken #24 overall in 2002, a hall of famer. The Lions? Wait for it, you’ll love this! They Chose 3rd! So many options on the table, like you said! They Chose Joseph Harrington a QB. I had to look this up, but he didn’t quite make it into the Hall of Fame. Maybe it was politics. The next year in 2003, The Ravens Chose Terrell Suggs at #10. A perennial all pro, borderline Hall of Famer. The Lions Chose high again! at #2 they chose a WR Charles Rodgers.

7) New York Giants: An incredible D with a middling QB who rose to the occasion when they needed him to. Eli was acquired in a trade for P Riv so essentially he was a fourth round pick. I mean Eli was part of the reason they won so you Ill give you this one.

8) Green Bay: I think we all know the history of Aaron Rodgers and the draft, but if not, he went 24th overall. The Lions could’ve taken him, but instead they felt that future Hall of Famer needed a weapon instead. That Weapon? Big Mike Williams at #10, the WR who ate himself into a coma.

I could go on and on and on. The point is, enough about this tanking shit. I don’t care if they win or they lose at this point, it’s a full rebuild. Bob Quinn and MAtt Patricia have Obliterated a talented roster and now were stuck with a bunch of middling “System” players that fit into a very specific scheme. Tank or dont tank, the only thing that matters is that we get a GM who can fucking evaluate talent and DRAFT BETTER.

7 Likes

I’ve been feeling pretty good since the firings, but your post has triggered my QUINTRICIA resentment. Rod Wood should hire legal counsel and sue Bob Quinn for gross malicious incompetence and revoke any monies owed on the remainder of his contract.

2 Likes

It is a full rebuild.

Can you find talent at any spot in the draft, yes. Can you miss at any spot, yes.

But I damn rather have MY pick out of as much talent as I can. There Are always drop offs in talent at points in the draft. Top 3, top 5, etc.

The Lions have had a bad habit of usually winning a meaningless game late in the season that pushes them down to the next lower group of talent.

I want my choice or I want to be someone folks are calling because they want to move up into that next level of talent. I don’t want to be the one making that call being forced to move up.

I don’t see how you can’t look at successful teams and realize that draft position doesn’t matter if the GM is actually good at drafting.

Everyone huffed and puffed about losing Josh Allen by beating GB.

If Josh Allen was here instead of Hock these dudes would still be fired

1 Like

I swear to the Lawd I don’t remember Bill Bentley. I dont remember his name, his number, even his freaking position. Was he Ray Bentley’s son? Was he tall? Black or white?

I literally don’t remember this guy and I remember Jonathan Taylor and Ramzee Robinson and Amari Spievey and Caraun Reid and Kevin Abrams and ++++

This guy went in the third?

I really really think that WCFs house was built on an Indian Burial Ground

1 Like

Brian burns and dk metcalf were sitting there. We had hock and tavai higher on our board. That is why they longer have a job. You don’t have to pick top 5 to get playmakers. You just have to actually scout worth a damn.

1 Like

Metcalf shoulda beat Tavai in the hair draft too

Gotta have the right people in place that KNOW what they are doing. It sounds so simple but if it was so simple then we would be a perennial playoff team w all the early first rd picks we have had and blown. The good organizations are committed to an idea, a culture, command respect and give respect to their people. Everyone is on the same page and confident in what their identity is. The closest we ever came to that was Caldwell and we fired him. The good teams don’t have sexy drafts necessarily but they get the right guys. We pass on David Decastro and we take Reilly Rieff. He doesn’t get a second deal with us and Decastro is a perennial pro bowler. We pass on TJ watt for Jared Davis…do I need to explain that one to anyone. We passed on Aaron Donald and took Eric Ebron. These misses weren’t hindsight misses these misses were in your face everyone knew these guys were gonna be good and we had people in our FO who didn’t know how to run a team.

3 Likes

Lol…this is all you need to know about Brentley. He got a pick in his first game in preseason his rookie year…that’s it…that all he did…that’s all she wrote. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

So, not an offensive lineman then. Check. Lol.

2 Likes

Really nice post, bro. Painful to see those draft choices - wow!

2 Likes

BTW for all these people who love the concept of tanking, these players that they so love in the upcoming draft may get injured between now & April, may get arrested or be a bad interview or maybe incredibly immature & see their stock go down the toilet. Or they may opt to stay in school another year. Didn’t Justin Herbert do that a couple years ago? Tanking is so stupid, the draft guarantees absolutely nothing.

I certainly hope that Quinn stench is going to be fumigated from the scouting department, too.

1 Like