CeeDee Lamb vs Jerry Jeudy and the Lions WR situation

So was Tate … and we were t willing to reup Golden. I’m not sure you can resign MJ for that cheap either. When I look at similar WR’s with similar numbers getting closer to 12mil plus a year.

But let’s say we do … what about the slot? Most teams have 3 solid WR options and Youth developing.

KJ Hill/Nick Westbrook/Des Fitzpatrick

1 Like

What we did with Calvin Johnson was dumb and not the way a football team should be built. What the Packers did around the same time was much better as they stacked up Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb. A receiving core vs a one man show.

2 Likes

I’m not sure… Marvin Hall averaged 37 ypc with us, after a not too shabby average of 15 ypc with the Falcons last year and 30 ypc the year before that. He’s clearly a decent deep threat at the very least, maybe more.

I would band aid the WR unit thru free agency. There are about 10 other more pressing needs on this team than WR. You can win NFL football games with no-name WRs. You cannot win many NFL football games with the worst defense in the league and no running game.

Green Bay won 13 games with 1 good WR and a bunch of trash.

Buffalo won 10 games with whomever at WR.

Baltimore won 14 games with no WR going over even 600 yards.

The niners won 13 games with a 2nd round rookie as their best WR.

The seahawks and pats win a ton of games every year with no name WRs.

It’s simply not a priority position. It’s more of a luxury position. We should be looking at almost every other position on the field before WR.

1 Like

I just wanted to connect these 2 statements to make a point. The WR market is bonkers right now, and anyone with any kind of track record is overpriced. One of the nobodies the Bills had cost them $9M/year this offseason. The next nobody was around $7.5M/year this offseason. Both were undersized and closing in on 30 years old. That’s how out of whack the receiver market is getting.

3 Likes

And that Is why MJ is going to get paid and possibly why we might not bring Amendola back.

Considering the market, Quinn made a hell of a move by getting Amendola. I think Danny might be old enough that we don’t have to worry about him costing $8M/year or anything like that. But yeah, Jones will be worth a bunch of money on the open market.

1 Like

General statement not pointed at anyone but once again I’m going to try to keep the “NO WR” talk from derailing this thread.

If all you want to talk about is not taking a WR than your in the wrong thread. Start another thread about not wanting to take a WR or how you think it’s a bad idea or how you like what we have.

I want to look at who is out there. Who the board likes and why. Where you like that WR at etc.

this thread isn’t about should we take a WR or Not? It’s about if we do than who should it be?

I do wonder how much like a Rashad Higgins would cost in FA

I would add a guy like dez Fitzpatrick though later on. he did well with lamar throwing him the ball but then his numbers dropped after that. Would definitley take a flyer on him

1 Like

Need a burner, other than just Marvin Hall, from somewhere

Agreed. Not necessarily saying that Hall can’t be that guy, but if a healthy Stafford is going to be our QB, having a burner who is always a threat to get behind the defense will open up everything else for this offense.

This also works from a moneyball standpoint, as a one-dimensional speedster is way cheaper than an all-around threat and could improve the overall offense far beyond his individual stat sheet.

TBH I think you let him play it out, then go get Corey Davis after.

Been begging for a burner, even if they are one dimensional for years. It was great to have Hall step up and produce when his number was called.

Jalen Reagor is an interesting prospect. He’s a burner that was hampered by poor QB play. He’s got legit speed with decent hands, plus he returns kicks and punts. We would likely need to use at least a 2nd on him if he runs in the 4.3 range.

I really have no idea. but Couldn’t help myself. Sorry.

The last two years the Lions have finished the season with every starting WR hurt. The backups Have showed to be backups at best.

I think it’s obvious the Lions need to get younger and healthier at WR. I see a deep WR group this year and I hope the Lions can add someone. So who do you like?

If his speed is 4.4 or better, Shenault is interesting. Big, strong & fights for YAC. Needs polish, especially more concise routes. Saw a few of his games, and he jumps out. But is he a true zoom zoom?

Before his injury Tylan Wallace was leading the nation in receiving and would have definitely fit the bill. He’s got true jets, very good hands, and an alpha mentality to go up and get it, despite being only around 6’0. I don’t know that he’ll come out after the injury but if he does we might be able to get him at a discount.

From what I can tell, this is one of the best drafts in years to draft a WR. I think we could draft very high quality guys in the mid rounds, that would normally go 2nd-3rd round, depending on how the runs go on draft day.

IMO, one of the core problems the Lions offense has is they don’t have a WR great at creating separation. They have two guys great above the rim, great at the contested catch. And that is important with Stafford. But separation gets you that 3rd down conversion. The other thing you saw this year is how speed can open up some things on offense with Marvin Hall. Bevell wants to run and throw it deep. Gotta have the guys that can get that done. So despite my personal like of both Galloday and Jones, to me its not a complete set of WRs. A guy like Juedy makes a lot of sense, but I don’t think we have the luxury of picking him top 10.

1 Like

Might be my favorite receiver in the draft when healthy. His ability to track the ball is unreal. Even when his vision is obstructed.