CFB Players to watch: Oct 29 Edition

From the Detroit news:

Each Saturday during the college football season, we’ll highlight five prospects with locally televised matchups who could be a fit for the Detroit Lions in the 2023 NFL Draft, based on projected needs.

The list aims to highlight early-, mid- and late-round prospects. This will give you a chance to watch the players performing live, instead of playing catch-up in the weeks before the draft.

C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State
No. 2 Ohio State at No. 13 Penn State, 12 p.m., FOX
-The biggest case against Jared Goff as Detroit’s long-term answer at quarterback is
his propensity for mistakes. For all of his early-season success, he’s been killing the offense with critical errors, throwing six interceptions and losing three fumbles through six games.

Garrett Williams, CB, Syracuse
Notre Dame at No. 16 Syracuse, 12 p.m. ET, ABC
-Any thoughts that Amani Oruwariye was a foundational piece to the Lions’ puzzle took a hit when the team benched the long-time starter a couple of weeks ago. For a player in a contract year to have experienced that kind of regression, it’s difficult to see the franchise forking over a significant multi-year contract to the free-agent-to-be this offseason.

Felix Anudike-Uzomah, Edge, Kansas State
No. 9 Oklahoma State at No. 22 Kansas State, 3:30 p.m. ET, FOX

Jer’Zhan Newton, DT, Illinois
No. 17 Illinois at Nebraska, 3:30 p.m., ABC
-Where Lions general manager Brad Holmes came from, the selection of an undersized, pass-rushing defensive tackle changed the course of the franchise. And while no one is saying Newton is the next Aaron Donald, or anything close, the 6-foot-2, 295-pounder has been disrupting the pocket at an incredible rate this season.

Blake Corum, RB, Michigan
Michigan State at No. 4 Michigan, 7:30 p.m.
-A mid-season All-America selection according to ESPN and Pro Football Focus, Corum has been exceptional for the Wolverines, racking up 936 yards from scrimmage, averaging 6.2 yards per carry and finding the end zone 13 times. He’s tallied 23 carries that have gained 10 or more yards, forced 37 missed tackles and is comfortable running behind both zone and gap-blocking schemes.

1 Like

The must watch matchup in the Neb-Illinois game is Trey Palmer vs Devon Witherspoon

1 Like

Penn state plays their best game of the year and win 24-21
Uofm 41 msu 14

I have the over/under at 35 carries for Brown.

He’s going to have a massive game. Nebraska can’t stop the run.

1 Like

For me it’s Kentucky/Tennessee. I missed the call weekend when Tennessee and Alabama played, and I haven’t seen Hooker this year at all.

But that’s not in the Nebraska-Illinois game.

I’ve seen Witherspoon mocked in a couple of first rounds of late. I knew he was having a good season but didn’t realize it was that good. I look forward to really digging into his tape.

If Iowa had any semblance of an offense they would have given Ohio State issues. Iowa’s defense kept Ohio States offense in check for a good part of the game. Ultimately though you can’t have that many T.Os against that offense and win.

Best bet of the day is the IOWA/Northwestern under.

Brandon Joseph just had a pick 6 on the first play of the game.

Excellent but messy, cornerback class. Outside of Ringo and Cam smith I’ve seen the guys over the place. Joey Porter for instance I’ve seen everywhere between the teens and the 40s.

Yeah me too. PFN has Gonzalez ranked as a 3rd rounder and Garrett Williams as a 5th! I’ve seen Forbes low other places as well.

My hunch is by draft day a majority of these guys will go in the top 2 rounds. Partly because they’re just that good, but also because the rest of the class outside CB is a little weak.

this is a weird Draft tbh

like QB has good depth, but like only Bryce, stroud, and imo Hooker have really risen from the rest,

CB is flushed as hell with talent

DT is lacking depth heavily

Edge is solid, Anderson is the standout

WR as the past couple years, looks flushed aswell

IDK the last draft that had this kinda scenario before tbh

I don’t think the WR class is nearly as talented as the past few classes, especially at the top. I’m not as high on Addison or Smith-Njigba as others and while I like Quentin Johnston, he’s not the same caliber of prospect as London, Garrett Wilson, Jameson, Olave, Lamb, Jeudy, Waddle, Chase or Devonta Smith.

My personal favorite guy this year is Zay Flowers, but I was hoping he could be had for a 3rd rounder which seems unlikely now. He’s just playing too well. Wouldn’t be shocked if he made it into the first, he’s gonna test off the charts.

I was gonna add Marvin Harrison JR, but i think hes prolly a year out rn

so next year

your right, it aint as flushed, but i think its still a pretty good WR class imo

Right, he’s not eligible until 2024. He would definitely make the class better.

1 Like

Definitely a weak WR class. There are gonna be some burners though between Hyatt, Palmer, Flowers, etc.

Joey Porter JR,CB-Penn State if he runs well enough would be great to find a way to get him in a Lion’s uniform

1 Like

He’ll definitely be in the mix for us I think

1 Like

I like the RB class as well as CB. DT also looks decent which seems like an improvement over recent classes. It seems class strengths keep matching our needs. Perhaps Brad has factored that into the rebuild. Or just luck perhaps.