CFB Players to Watch: Sept 24 Edition

Detroit News weekly five players to watch that may fit a Detroit Lion’s need, not an exhaustive list.

Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson
5 Clemson at No. 21 Wake Forest, 12 p.m., ABC

Tank Bigsby, RB, Auburn
Missouri at Auburn, 12 p.m., ESPN

O’Cyrus Torrence, G, Florida
Florida at Tennessee, 3:30 p.m., CBS

Keeanu Benton, DT, Wisconsin
Wisconsin at Ohio State, 7:30 p.m., ABC

Kyu Blu Kelly, CB, Stanford
Stanford at Washington, 10:30 p.m., FS1

1 Like

C.J. Stroud vs. Wisconsin is probably a factor in who goes number 1 pick. If he lights them up that will bode well for his draft stock.

A bunch of the next tier of QBs (or two) with top 25 matchups

Richardson/Hooker - Fla. TN
DJ U./Hartmann - Clemson Wake
Cameron Ward vs. Oregon
KJ Jefferson va . A&M
Tanner McKee vs. WAS

1 Like

Yes, this guy should be talked about far more on this board than Sewell is

3 Likes

Sewell popped for many here last year because of watching Thibs. I know that’s the case for me. He really stood out. So far this year, I haven’t seen Sewell be a factor. It’s so opposite it makes me wonder if they changed his role, is he hurt, something? Huge stark contrast from a year ago.

2 Likes

Also watch Myles Murphy and Bryan Bresee on the D-line for Clemson.

1 Like

How is he doing this year, anyway?
Haven’t heard much from him.
they’ve won their first 2.
How big a role has he played?

I think Sewell is more along the lines of a Rodrigo.

The other LB in Oregon is a guy that has peaked my interest, Justin Flowe.

1 Like

Auburn LB Owen Poppoe. He’s kind of a SS playing LB. Very fast.

He hasn’t played because of an injury he suffered in the preseason. Thaddeus Moss rolled either his knee or his ankle pretty bad on a controversial block.

1 Like

hope he at least gets a fair chance to prove himself.
This sucks.

Gun to my head I think if we add a LBer in the next draft it’s going to be a speedier type. If you go for a thumper I like Shane Lee, the USC ILB that transferred from Bama. He’s rangy enough that we might be interested. Same goes for Sewell if he slides but I just don’t think his skillset is something we would prioritize early. Though that may be true of LB in general.

Justin Flowe is a guy you just keep waiting on. He’s perhaps not quite the athlete if Simpson after all his injuries but he’s still a supremely talented athlete. But for now it’s that dreaded P word with him.

1 Like

I’ll take a peek at that one, just for those two, but Richardson’s play recognition looked so far away from an NFL QB against Kentucky that I’m not salivating any more. I wonder about Hooker too in that regard, but he doesn’t throw crazy interceptions at least. They’re both clay that could surprise over time though.

If anyone else is watching the Wazzu-Oregon game today I’d be curious what y’all think of Nevada transfer Daiyan Henley. I’ve been watching the Cougs a lot bc Ward is on my CFB fantasy team and Henley really flashes. Rangy with plus cover skills but still plays downhill in the run game and is a proficient run defender. Stylistically he seems like our top of LBer and I’d imagine he’s likely a day 3 unless he lights up the combine.

Edit: maybe not. Sideshow Mel has him in the first apparently. I highly doubt that but perhaps he’s a day two guy. He has played really, really well this year.

Edit 2: D.J. U lighting up Wake early. I’m telling you guys, he really does have the potential to move WAY up near the top of the draft.

1 Like

This is the best I’ve seen him look live. Certainly bodes well for his draft stock. It’s not a perfect comp but I definitely get Culpepper vibes.

Is it just me or does he have similar psychology issues to Goff. When the belief is there they can wing it but they are both vulnerable to self doubt. Like Goff DJ also seems quite streaky. Totally diferent styles of players of course.

D.J. has more talent of course. IMO this is how he looked against Notre Dame in 2020. Totally agree on Culpepper though pre injury Dante was perhaps slightly more mobile. I think D.J. Has even more arm strength though which is saying something. Hopefully he can grow into being a better processor of information than Dante.

BTW I’ve got a sleeper QB for you. UNLV’s Doug Brumfield. Got their game with Utah State set to record. Only a redshirt Soph so I’m not sure he’a really in play in 2023 but when you combine what he’s doing at that god awful program with what appears to be a pretty full toolbox it’s hard not to get excited.

Ooh I set it to record. Love finding new QB prospects.

Every time I watch Sam Hartman I’m impressed.

Hartman is a GREAT college QB. Just not sure there is starter arm talent there. Though it’s probably better than Tua’s. :man_shrugging: If you could merge DJ and Sam’s atrengths you’d have the perfect QB prospect.

BTW, Dave Clawson is so underrated. I get that a lot of people have skepticism of his slow
Mesh concept but what he’s done at Wake is incredible. I’d like him to be way up on Nebraska’s list but my understanding is that he is not.

It reminds me of the job Jim Knowles did with Duke’s defense. Gundy took a chance on him and it proved genius. Clawson deserves a shot for sure.

I think Hartman has a plenty good enough arm for the league. Just coming from a weird offense.

Where do you think Hartman goes? Rounds 3-4? I like him in that range bc I think his likely floor is top 5 backup.

But he’s also got one more year of eligibility. I could easily see him going to Georgia or Bama on a massive NIL deal. Especially if Clawson gets poached.

Also, I know you hated K.J. Jefferson going into the year but according to PFF guys scouts are saying he’s a big time riser. His profile isn’t all that dissimilar to DJ U tbh.

Michigan was pretty lucky to win today, but I’d draft the Mich RB early next year, maybe 2nd round. That kid is St. Brown Jr.

3 Likes