Chandler Jones anyone?

Depends on what they want. He’d really be everything this defense is missing as far as star power and pass rush ability from an OLB spot.

I’d give our 2nd for him depending on how much longer he has on his contract.

1 Like

Don’t we already have a ton of money wrapped up in OLB between Okwara and Flowers?

Trading a high draft pick for a 31 year old DE-OLB to play on a rebuilding team which is at least a year (probably two) from contending?

Surely, you can’t be serious. I thought we learned that lesson from the failed Pat Swilling trade.

6 Likes

no way on a 31 year old…we can do better.

3 Likes

I agree we are not a pass rusher away from contending …if we were he would work but his cost will be high an his age plus we need more than one player $20,176,388 his cap his year an then you have to sign him I will Pass no thanks

1 Like

How old was Swilling when we got him?

1 Like

You mean the last time we won the division?

1 Like

8 years older than Willie Roaf

2 Likes

Really? With who?

Who can we possibly get that will be better than Chandler Jones is right now?

We don’t need anyone this season like him not saying he is bad he juust doesn’t fit the plan…you want to chase few extra wins maybe that is the past…stay the coarse an plan don’t chase wins yet

I year 3 he would be perfect not now

2 Likes

Can we even afford another 15 million a year salary?

Now if the Cards want to trade us DeAndre Hopkins, then they’d have my attention.

1 Like

Peter King thinks the price tag is likely to be a 1st Rd pick:

News travels fast this time of year, and more came down Sunday when ESPN reported Arizona pass-rusher Chandler Jones (last four years: 50 sacks in 69 games) wants to be traded. Buffalo has a crying need for a pass-rusher, which is why the Bills reached for the green Gregory Rousseau from Miami in the first round last April. Let me stick my nose in Buffalo GM’s Brandon Beane’s business: If I were Beane, and if Jones is healthy after missing the last three months last year with a torn biceps, I’d offer Arizona GM Steve Keim my 2022 first-round pick (likely to be between 27 and 32) to get one of the game’s most disruptive players, at 31. Keim won’t be motivated to trade him and would need a big offer to do it. He wants J.J. Watt and Jones to be a disruptive duo for the next two seasons in a pass-happy division, so it’d take something good to get Jones—if Keim would even consider it.

If losing in the first round of the playoffs is your goal, which is exactly what happened in 1993-1994, then you win the argument.

However, I’d like to think this time, this regime, is different and the Lions are trying to build something for continued long-term success, which is no longer defined as just making the playoffs.

The concept of a “timeline” was thrown out the window for the last time this year with the Phoenix Suns, when they started winning games when they added a veteran leader with star power to the young guys they already had.

And let me ask all of you that believe in Goff this…

If all of this is true about how we need to not go “all in” too early or “chase wins” and that we need to “trust the long game”, then what makes you think Jared Goff, who we passed on taking a QB to have, is going to look any kind of good?

The reason he’s unhappy with his 2021 contract is because it’s essentially a one year deal for $15.5 Million with no guaranteed money and coming off a torn biceps, which saw him miss the last 11 games of 2020, coupled with his age (31.5), his free agent market value may be somewhat diminished.

It’s a statement of fact. We haven’t won the division since Pat Swilling was here. It’s been almost 30 years. We haven’t made a Swilling type move since then. But I guess us not winning playoff games AND not winning the division is somehow better in your eyes?

Did the Lions win the division because the Lions traded Nos. 8 & 80 overall for Pat Swilling or because the Lions already had a playoff quality team?

Swilling played decently [6.5 sacks, 5 FFs, 3 INTs] in 1993, but wasn’t the All Pro/perennial Pro Bowl performance of seasons past. In fact, he was third on the team in sacks behind Porcher with 8.5 and Scroggins with 8.0.

In 1994, Swilling was reduced to a part-time starter (only 7 games while splitting time with Tracy Scroggins, who started 9 games, at LOLB). Then, he was gone in 1995.

Hardly a great return on the investment, even more so when you consider the Lions lost the January 8, 1994 home playoff game to the Packers because they didn’t have anyone who could cover Sterling Sharpe.

Your statement is based upon the incorrect assumption that adding Chandler Jones, who is 31 and coming off a torn biceps, would suddenly transform the Lions into a division winner and/or winning playoff games in 2021 or 2022. NFW.

“Right now” doesn’t matter much. Giving up a legit asset for a 30+ year old makes zero sense for the Lions.

3 Likes

I gave a statement of fact.

Would you like to copy and paste where I said I wanted to trade for Chandler Jones, or anything of the sort?

I’ll wait.

Mr Bean Waiting GIF by MOODMAN