Charcoal or Gas

No grill master myself. But what you are saying is true, I do have to be careful. I find the trick is to turn the dampers way down well before the temp you want is reached both at the bottom and the top. I assume Kamado equals egg style i.e. different ways of saying the same thing. This also means I can’t leave the lid open for long stretches. Once the temp gets above where you want it, its hard to cool down. A lot of times I just cook with both vents barely cracked open once its up to temp.

And I’m with you on the steak. My favorite steak is Porterhouse or NY strip/Filet parts of the steak and I find my own grill is better than or as good as any place I go out to.

Again, no expert. But one of the little things I found out from trial and error is that the best tasting steaks (or chicken) are the ones I grill where it as soon as the raw meat hits the grill I hear that sizzle. If I don’t hear that sizzle sound of it hitting the grate, the grill isn’t hot enough.

2 Likes

I use the Webber Kettle. Great for direct grilling and not bad as a smoker. I can close it down when I am done to save on fuel. I use the charcoal started pictured above with newspaper to start to charcoal. It takes 15 to 20 minutes. I smoke a pork butt around once a month and freeze the left over. The re-heated pulled pork is still great.

2 Likes

I’m linking this just to show the cooking method.
Pellet Grill with Grill Grates.
Notice the grates get to 600+ when the grill is set to 485.
I have my Grilla set up exactly like he does (full width)

For the rub, all I do is set them out with a bit of kosher salt sprinkled on them. After an hour or so, I hit them with low sodium Montreal Steak seasoning (low sodium because I pre-salt).
4 minutes for medium, 5 for well-done.

4 Likes

Pellet grill all the way.

Get a RecTec. It will change your life.

1 Like

Charcoal.

I must be even lazier Lol, I use electric grill, it’s cool just plug it in and turn the dial, no tanks, no coal, just easy. Cooking is in the cook.

2 Likes

Are you talking about an indoor type grill? I have one of those and I love it. I experimented with different stuff on it and it makes the best grilled cheese sandwiches. I also do ribs where we slow cook them in the oven for hours and then I finish them off on the grill 10-12 minutes each side.

2 Likes

Yup - Just grilling in some smoke flavor - fantastic, with country style ribs.

I like to go sauce on 'em.
With short ribs, I straight up go dry rub.

No it’s a out door Round stand up ,. But it actually cooked better then my gas did , the tubbs burn out on mine , they had this Round electric one it’s was red witched matched all my outdoor stuff. So I bought it and it is the best grill I’ve owned. It’s 3 years old and still cooking great. Fast and easy steaks and chops come out great, you don’t get the nice grill lines but makes some great food. No more running out of gas and running to get tanks just plugg it in and turn the dial and in about 3 min it’s ready to cook. Love the convenience.

My Girlfriend has a indoor one that really cook good too.

1 Like

Goodnight. Y’all need to turn in your man cards before this degrades into a conversation about crockpots and microwaves.

Sheesh.

j/k

1 Like

I love the crock pot. Make a pork tenderloin into pulled pork, BBQ sauce and all. Put the leftovers in your spaghetti sauce.

your life will be different the second you try it.

Also - You’re welcome.

I used to be a charcoal guy because of the flavor, but I eventually learned that putting wood chips in one of those little metal boxes laid on the grill added some decent flavor. After that the speed of gas grilling won me over

1 Like

Gas is the McDonald’s of grilling…

Technically, it would be the Burger King of grilling. Or, as they call it, “flame broiling”.

2 Likes