Chase Daniel to sign with Lions

Exactly, you can get a real back up after the draft. I mean, Quinn shit his drawers last year and completely ignored the back up QB spot, but it’s not because there weren’t guys available. It was because he sucks at being a GM.

3 Likes

Because he won’t last that long.

If you want a veteran back up than you better get one early. They never stick around very long.

Well now, how would you or any of us know what the market is/was for Daniel? Answer: we don’t. The truth is that the Lions needed a better backup QB than Driskel or nay of the other guys were, so they signed him rather than taking a chance on going through 2020 without a decent QB2. That’s called not making the same mistake again.

As far as drafting a QB this time, maybe they will depending on who is available, but frankly I am opposed to using a draft pick on a QB when you’ve already got Stafford, Daniel, and Blough. Maybe they pickup a UDFA QB, but this team needs more depth almost everywhere else. I was surprised to see them cut Sloter, I woulda kept him to compete with Blough for the QB3 spot.

1 Like

I get it, but i feel like this is kind of letting other GM’s know that we arn’t serious about taking TUA at 3OA. Not saying that should be the pick, but we need to have other GM’s thinking we are incase we want to trade.

I know some people will say grabbing chase wont stop us from taking TUA, but nobody would pay that much for a 3rd string QB

1 Like

I’ll just say this: IMHO it is better to make your FA decisions for who to sign and who to cut based solely on making your team better. Draft strategies shouldn’t enter into the decision cuz each team’s situation can change at a moment’s notice. QBs are already on the move to different teams and more to come, such as a certain GOAT QB who is leaving NE. I think you’re right in that other GMs are going to see the Daniel signing as a given that the Lions are not going to sign a QB at #3OA. But quite frankly, I don’t give a damn because even if we aren’t drafting Tua that doesn’t mean that more than one other team isn’t thinking of it. All you need is 2 teams vying for our #3 pick.

3 Likes

This signing says absolutely nothing, IMO. Think about it… If you drafted Tua this year, who’s starting? It’s still Stafford. Who’s going in if Stafford is injured? It’s still Daniels. Tua would knock Blough off the roster.

I can’t stand our GM. The only person he fakes out is himself as he keeps trying to turn league backups into starters. But, even with the utter lack of confidence that I have in Batman, bringing in Daniels really wouldn’t come into play in making room for Tua. You could even make the case that it’d be good for Chase to have a year under his belt with Tua to remain as Tua’s backup in 2021.

1 Like

Looks like about the best they were going to do on the price to Ability value curb as I guess they weren’t going to invest enough money for someone like Case

And, with Bevell as our OC, we got another QB who can scramble, who’s mobile to a degree with his feet.

Watch over the next three years on the QBs entering the draft that can scramble like Wilson… we have a short term plan imho for Matt and a long term to go to a more RW type WB if they can find who they want!

Good thing. With this Oline and Matt’s recent history we’re sure to need him.

Cool, about time Quinn got something half-ass right.

This is the silliest thing I’ve seen Lols.

LOLWUT

You mean “read” … silly

Looks like probably a 2yr $8.3M ($4.15M APY) with the option to get out at 1yr $5.25M. A lot better backup plan than we had last year.

Aaron Wilson
@AaronWilson_NFL

Chase Daniel (Lions) three years, $13.05M, $5M gtd, $2.25M signing bonus, salaries $1.25M (gtd), $4.3M ($1.5M gtd), $5M; up to $250K maximum in per game active roster bonus; 2022 voids if informs club between 6th and 14th day following 2021 Super Bowl and repays club $1M

3 Likes

Thanks dead for all these contract details, much appreciated and I’m sure quite time consuming on your part

2 Likes

I agree RW…I always appreciate Dead’s input on these matters. Thanks Dead.

2 Likes