Chris Board & DeShon Elliott

I haven’t seen much talk about these guys but they both played significant snaps in Baltimore.

That coaching staff is probably a top 5-10 coaching staff, so these guys are well coached.

They may both be starters here, in particular, Elliott.

I don’t think it’s an accident that we picked up players from Baltimore.

My thinking is that these two are solid, under the radar, pick ups for the Lions. Much more than depth pieces.

Thoughts?

9 Likes

Ehile the talent level on the D is still sub-par, bringing in guys that both are hungry and proven they can play, for cheap, is a nice way to fill the gaps.

Now, the next step is shaking out how CB works out and upgrading Analzone and Brockers next season. There’s enough toung talent that if enough take the next step and theybadd two big impact replacements as above, the D will turn into a top 10 unit fast.

Not this year though. We should be very happy if it finishes 18-22.

4 Likes

Yup - loving it. Lots of youngsters with something to prove, and a couple of bandaids that can get long term action if they prove themselves worthy. Love the wya Brad’s building this thing.

I’m with Weeze-man, especially with his take on Brockers. We’re gonna trade up in the first next year to get the 2nd coming of Donald.

CB is super-interesting. I think they will be good…possilby VERY good.
Lots of guys that seem to be improving. I feel like a couple of them could fall off the face of the earth and we’d still have a solid unit.

I’m not as confident in our LBs but wouldn’t be surprised if they worked out either, but not nearly as confident in them as CBs. I think CB will be a strength. Can’t wait to say the same about the DL. I have high hopes for Rodriguez. I really like that dude. Barnes, Davis, Anzalone? Whatchyagonnado?

My hope is that enough guys step up at their spots so that we can get the best DT and Best RB in the draft next year.

I like this thread. These two players have NFL game. They are viable NFL players. How good can they be us the question.

Chris Board is 27 in July. He made the Ravens roster as an UDFA in 2018 which is significant. He was a three time champ at North Dakota State. The Lions are likely hoping they are getting a guy like Packers LBer D. Campbell. Board is ready for a larger role and we are positioned to give him that shot.

Elliott is a player with viable health questions. If healthy DeShon is likely the starting SS here.

I like the competition at LBer. No stars but lots of options. To me all LBers will have to earn it. Anzalone could end up a bench player. I can see Board and the rookie MalRod starting for us inside. Derrick Barnes needs to bring it too as this staff will sit him. A trade up means nothing to Dan Campbell. You have to win the job.

At this point I have no idea who starts for us at LBer but my $ is on Board being one of our starters.

3 Likes

I’m not putting money on any of them. Nothing would surprise me with the coaching staff we have…not even Davis “getting it.” Davis is our most physically gifted, but also has been the dumbest, up to this point. What if he “gets it?”

My biggest hope is that Rodriguez has a real shot to be very good. I love who that guy is and how he shows up.
What’s sort of cool is that ALL of them have a legit shot to start.

4 Likes

I think Elliot could be a great addition. He can tackle and is a big hitter, very good as a box safety. However, he’s missed more games in his career than he’s played in. In 2020, his only full season without getting hurt, he was an above average starter. Can he stay healthy? The odds aren’t in his favor unfortunately.

Board is for sure really good on special teams. He played on passing downs for the Ravens and is known to be solid in coverage. Not too strong vs the run though, so he will likely be a role player.

Both players came cheap on short team deals. So low risk, potentially nice reward.

3 Likes

If Anzalone is a starter after the bye week, I’m going to be very dissapointed. MRod has all the tools and smarts to rise up the depth chart. Love the kid, I think we lucked out. He’s our late round steal. And why not pencil in Board next to him, who looks like he can actually cover. You still have Barnes, who could also make a second year leap. And if Davis ever had a last chance, its here and now with AG. We also can’t sleep on SDH.

But who am I most excited about – MRod. He has the ‘it’ factor. Could lead the defense for six years if he stays healthy. Love his wrestling background.

Here’s what happens to 300lb lineman when you try to mess with MRod: (credit to @HonoluluBlueKoolaid)

https://mobile.twitter.com/carson_okc/status/1435249376197238796?lang=en

3 Likes

Former wrestler and high school QB, so he at least has some football IQ. I sure hope you’re right!! But that’s a lot of koolaid for a 6th round pick.

3 Likes

LOL. So much kool-aid going around. But awhile ago, I do seem to recall it happening with a 5th rounder, no?

2 Likes

I noticed this was one of the responses to that tweet…
:rofl::face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I think the Rams also had an eye on Ravens players when Holmes was in LA….

2 Likes

About 30 years ago!! haha

2 Likes

Phunnypharm
You are a sleuth!! :grinning:

4 Likes

I think Elliot starts. I really like him as a player. His only issue is staying healthy.

Board is a ST ace and I highly doubt he starts at LBer. He’s more depth.

3 Likes

Analzone and Brockers could be gone start of season why hang on for another year move them if they can or release.

Play players who likely will play again next season.

Brockers would fit on a team looking to win it all an would be cheap depth . Not sure AZ would get much.

2 Likes

I bet they both start.

4 Likes

I’d be willing to trade Brockers too and let the young bucks play!

But, his contract makes him basically untradeable. He had 1 QB hit last year and is due a huge salary in 2022. He will be a Lion this year, and be cut next offseason looking at the contract.

2 Likes

At least to begin the season I agree. Hopefully the youngsters show improvement and push them for their jobs.

3 Likes

needs a lot of Kool-aid up in here , it’s one warm cookie here in Michigan right now, brothers can use a cold drink

1 Like

There would be financial concessions in most Brockers trade scenarios, IMO.

1 Like