Chris Olave, A Bust in the Making?

Found this while browsing. Pretty flagrant red flags if accurate.

2 Likes

That’s pretty harsh. Doesn’t sound like a Campbell-type of guy.

With the Lions first pick, I’d prefer defense.

1 Like

I really like Drake London for us.

3 Likes

Anyone that watched anything but this year would be able to tell you that “effort” is completely bogus with how it’s referenced in that article and report.

When Stroud was off with his shoulder sprain, Olave didn’t seem to be running his routes as well as he does usually. Don’t ask me why. I can see him getting pushed off of his routes at the college and NFL levels, but he’s usually so fluid with his speed that it doesn’t matter. “Playing slower than his 40” is complete and utter tape bias that I am also a victim of. After watching him play, I didn’t really get everyone who said he was “a deep threat” and “had elite top end speed”. Then you go watch the highlight film and you see it. Especially in the Minnesota game that’s referenced as being “watched” and “evaluated”.

Olave seemed to listen to people’s opinions of him when he was thinking about going to the draft last year and told him about how fast he was. It must have gotten to his head because trusting his speed is listed as “not giving effort” because it looks effortless.

I agree that he’s not anywhere close to elite after the catch and has horrible change of direction ability. That’s not what anyone should draft him to be. He’s a guy that can move the chains and break one deep, but he’s not making anyone miss.

Olave also isn’t the greatest route runner ever, and he’s not going to be a plus route runner in the NFL.

This is why I prefer Wilson to Olave having watched all of their games, even the good ones left off of the list of games “watched” Luke the Clemson 2020 game. Olave popped off in that game and everyone watched it. Derion Kendrick legitimately met his new father.

Garrett Wilson is a far superior NFL prospect and fit for this team.

I’d take London, Jameson, and Burks over Olave. I’d honestly pass on Olave with the Rams pick.

Olave gets a 2nd round grade from me. An Ohio State fan.

We need to do everything in our power to get Garrett Wilson.

And here’s what I guess is the same guy’s scouting report…

1 Like

But this…

Pay attention to how many reps he puts up @ 225 pounds

… is absolute and utter garbage. The bench should have nothing to do with a guy like Chris Olave just like it has no reflection on Devonta Smith’s work ethic.

1 Like

I know Olave gets a lot of hype but I view him as a 2nd round prospect. Wilson and Burkes are two guys I would jump at with the Rams pick. Maybe London depending on who else is available.

I’m not sure how London’s lack of separation ability is going to play against NFL DBs and 'backers.

I’m for sticking with the Alabama factory. Jameson Williams is close to can’t-miss.

A. We aren’t getting Williams. Not in range and Goff can’t throw that far.

B. London’s lack of separation terrifies me. Bob Quinn would love him, but I think Holmes will stay away.

Goff doesn’t need to throw far if Williams can get YAC and add to the yardage or score as well with a certain given reception depending on the plays.

London has quick feet and size…also is a good YAC/ RAC guy…

Also…watch him against Notre Dame…

Drew Brees said he would throw to him every play…

London also has grit…

2nd round?

He tests better than I think?

Maybe take him around the 20s…(depends who is on the board)

I’m in

I like Burks…on film he dont block and loafs around…MCDC ain’t having that

I mean…what Alabama WR has really been great in the NFL besides Julio¿

Waddle…has been good…but it hasn’t meant more wins

Also, St Brown in a. Functional offense to begin the year would be very close to Waddles numbers

This is why WR is super overrated

Keep adding to the OL and smash teams

1 Like

I watch a lot of OsU. And I came away with pretty similar eye ball tests. Olave could be good, but also disappointed at times. But Wilson has everything you want out of a WR. I put him in a CD Lamb category. I’d love to watch him in blue and silver for 10 years.

This article is written by the same guy who wrote this beauty…

2 Likes

The most disturbing thing to me about this report is about this kid giving the defense “tells” with his body language presnap. I will never forget watching James Stewart at running back for the Lions, drove me nuts, I could peg when it was a running play with 95% accuracy just by watching him line up. He had this little thing that he did, where if it was a running play, he’d do this little thing where he was like mounting a horse right before he set.

Tells are really, really, hard habits to break. In a game of talent parity, its the little things that gives teams an edge. They’re the things that someone can get away with going up against the second corner from Rutgers or Maryland, where the DB coach is thinking about his next gig and the defensive coordinator is trying not to get demolished with limited talent, not so much on the NFL level.

@HSVLion your our resident OSU expert. Ignoring the rest of the report, what do you think of the assessment on Olave giving body language tells at the LOS?

1 Like

Honestly I never looked close enough at it to be able to tell you if he did that or not. I’ll have to go back and look at it sometime today.

1 Like

No matter how hard I look at his highlights I can’t see him going sooner than where Justin Jefferson went. He looks like a Robert woods/faster shiftier Amon ra (although I haven’t seen him block as well). I don’t get the hype personally.

This is the same guy who wrote that terrible scouting report for Aiden Hutchinson where he said Aiden takes plays off and mails it in half the time. I would take this with a grain of salt.

1 Like

I guess that makes Hutch a bust in the making as well. Better listen to this former scout.

Yes, huge sarcasm in there.

Yeah, I mean everybody is entitled to their opinion. I don’t think Olave is a top of the draft guy. If he is, that is more about the lack of top playmakers in this draft, than how good Olave is. But I do think he can be a pretty decent Z WR in this league. Defenses will need to be careful with him. I think he needs a QB with an arm though.