Chris Simms/Mike Floria interview Matt Patricia

and, just maybe, this is why we changed DC’s?

everyone wanted our DC gone - it happened. now we still complain about the past… why?

change has happened, we needed it, now maybe try to be happy and have hope that he’s evolving as a HC!

new yr, new DC, a HC with more exp. and it making changes… not sure what else you need to have hope.

reminder that SF had the same shitty two yr record we did…

2 Likes

All due respect, bro, but this isn’t quite true. There is absolutely variation in their alignments through the season. Even then, it’s limited by the amount of available talent.

I’ll also add that we will remain a team with a “multiple” front that is capable of playing man coverage on the back end. Undlin doesn’t change that. Bo Davis returns as out D-Line coach and Patricia is still Patricia. Personally, I love the flexibility the “scheme” provides, I just wish Quinn had done a better job assembling the talent.

2 Likes

What did we take away from our opponents? Kelce led KC in receiving, Larry Fitzgerald had a huge day against us, Diggs and Cooks killed us, Saquon destroyed us, Josh Jacobs had a career day… You could say we bottled up Zeke, that’s about it. This defense is supposed to be able to take away what the opponent does best. I don’t care if they line up a hundred different ways, it’s not working as is.

3 Likes

I find it funny u think it’s a great scam and it’s the players that we’re lacking. Patricia version of multiple fronts is a joke and our personal wasn’t as bad as some make it out. And this defense was still failing before the injury’s and even the few weeks when we were actually pretty heathly.

1 Like

I agree with this - I really don’t want to make excuses for MP because he’s had two years already but I think he’s struggled to get his concepts across and reverted to simplifying things. Maybe the problem was on PP the former DC. A large part of what NE does is on the LBers and our LBer play has been horrible. He’s changed LBer coaches two years in a row now. So all we can do is hope he has the right people in place now to execute his plan. This draft is weak at LBer so I suspect we will target LBer help in FA.

I’ll give you that the results were the same, but the team did show a little versatility in its alignments.

C’mon, TC. The center of the defense came out and said he was considering retirement due to injury. We lost the games in the trenches. That really can’t be argued against. We all witnessed it. The defense was never healthy, by the way. It began the season without Hand and with a hobbled Daniels. Those are the two players expected to provide interior pressure.

1 Like

Mike Daniels was signed a week before camp and was a surprise cut.

Who was expected to provide it 9 days before camp?

1 Like

That’s not true, hell it’s been talked about the defense wasn’t good even in the beginning and there were like 2or 3 games when both hand and Daniels was back, it didn’t make a difference who was in there it wasn’t working and it was scam related. I think it’s great you believe u wanna believe. But I don’t I watched , we had some trouble in the middle but this defense was bad more to do with scam then the players. It wasn’t just bad it was almost go down history bad and that wasn’t due to just the dline that was scam. Maybe it’s better to be great at one front , instead of having multiples fronts that you are below avg in. The whole multiple front thing sounds good but it doesn’t seem to help you win much. But sounds really cool.

1 Like

Hand and a healthy Davis blitz more.

Yeah we lost in the trenches, but part of the reason we were losing in the trenches was Patricias 3 man rush. That was by design the lack of Blitz’s was also by design , Lols rush 3 and cover 8… For 8 sec.

There is a notion out there that it could have been worse, as in the secondary was bad and they chose the lesser of two evils.

Slay called it during the season:

“It was just rough,” cornerback Darius Slay told reporters after the game. “We just got to figure out a way how to put all this stuff together, man. We got a great team, we got all the right pieces, but it just ain’t sticking together. Like, I don’t know, we might be putting the pieces to the puzzle in the wrong spot. That’s what it is. We’re putting the puzzles in the wrong spot right now.”

“It’s not even different,” Slay said in video posted on Fox2Detroit.com. “Like, I don’t think they be calling their own plays. Whoever started this first, they just start copying it from the jump. That’s all it is. This league is a copycat league and they see that we have a problem with all that, they do the same thing. So everybody know the way we play this, they run this, and they do it all the time. So we ain’t seeing nothing new. Ain’t no new plays designed up, it’s the same ones we been having a problem with since probably first week of the season. So we just got to fix it.”

Line busy knows best, though!!!

That’s fair, TC. We did absolutely have a lack of blitzing and early 3-man rushes. We’ll see what happens. At the very least, we’re entering the time of the season where the team improves. My greatest hope is for 2 new starters on the DL and a new starting CB. Then we’ll see what they can do in another 9 months.

Al Golden, former linebackers coach for the Lions was a weird hire. In 2016, he was the tight ends coach under Jim Caldwell than became the linebackers coach under Patricia. Brian Stewart, the DB coach also had no ties to MP. Bo Davis has no ties to MP whats-so-ever but has a ton of experience coaching Dline. My guess is, in 2018/19, MP couldn’t find a coach that knew his NE defensive system to coach the defense, linebackers, and secondary.

This year, he hired coaches that’s been in his system before so I think we may see some improvement.

Bo Davis is indirectly tied via Saban. (At least philosophy-wise)

1 Like

Those that didn’t see improvement in the team and just look at wins and losses will never see the game. The fact that the Lions were more than competitive against GB and several others without Stafford was impressive. Stafford is light years better than who we had on the field and would have been a clear difference if he played. I have no doubt the Lions have as good a shot as anyone to get to the SB next year if they have a decent offseason.

1 Like

Hey we all just want to get better, nothing wrong with being positive. And if we can get a pass rush going this may look different.

3 Likes