Christian Gonzales impresses

Sorry if this was already posted but man i would love this kid at 6.

6 Likes

He was so fluid and long…as long as he’s not a turd he may be the guy.

1 Like

He’s definitely not a turd. The question with him is, is he a dawg? Something to be sorted out through the process.

7 Likes

Lets its between Witherspoon and Him. Gonzo is a 10 athlete, Witherspoon w/ the measurements released today was a bit disappointing …so let’s say he’s a 7. Dawg scale, spoon is a 10 and gonzo is a 7. Who ya taking? I want the athlete.

2 Likes

Gonzo a 7, based on?

1 Like

Well I’m not sure Gonzalez is a 7 out of 10. And frankly, we fans probably won’t know until after the draft. But our FO will have access to a lot more information and they’ll figure it out, so if we take him I’d say he’s at least dawg enough.

And like @frm710 says I’m not sure Spoon is only a 7. We’ll know more after his pro day in a couple of weeks.

He isn’t afraid of contact from what I’ve seen. Yes there are others who’s physicality are more of a primary trait like Porter and Spoon and I love them for it, but as a #1CB prospect, Gonzo reins supreme in this draft IMO and the combine numbers only reinforce that. He did absolutely help himself by taking an expectation of good numbers to executing eye popping numbers.

4 Likes

Gonzo has vampire fangs, not sure if it’s a red flag but let it be noted

2 Likes

I agree. It’s more about competitiveness. Is he gonna fight and scrap and put his body on the line to stop the opponent? I thought he looked fine on tape but for a guy with his demeanor it’s more difficult to tell. But Brad will find out.

If I could ask Christian one question it would be,

“When your brother-in-law gets frustrated and says ‘golly’ how does that make you feel?”

2 Likes

I’m not giving Gonzalez any bump or Spoon a decrease based on the combine. The stuff the combine proved is already stuff we knew. I don’t believe in using the combine to count things twice.

Spoon over Gonzalez all day for me based on my previous assessment of them both before the combine.

6 Likes

I want the football player, not the athlete.
That’s probably the dog.

6 Likes

Interesting. I think Gonzo’s upside is considerably higher. Spoon does seem to be a perfect fot both schematically and culturally though.

7 Likes

I don’t think it’s that Gonzo doesn’t have any dog in him. It’s that Spoon will eat glass if it’ll stop a pass from being completed.

2 Likes

Maybe - and it’s not that I don’t like Gonzalez. But what you mentioned at the end. I think Spoon is a guy who fits in the X & O’s and in the locker room. Not saying Gonzalez doesn’t, but I watch Spoon on tape and think to myself that he’s “a Detroit Lion”. I don’t get that exact feeling from Gonzalez. Just for me personally, I’m taking what I see on tape and thinking if I had to pick one of these two, I’d prefer Spoon. I hope they both turn out to be damn good players because they’re both easy to root for!

1 Like

I’m still in on Jalen Carter at 6. I’m already going to hell so why not double down and win some games :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Right, I think with Witherspoon it’s obvious. It’s very easy to see on tape which makes him an easy guy to love. And while we don’t see it with Gonzalez (you and me both), that doesn’t mean he’s not the silent assassin type. It’s just that’s a lot harder to tell on tape. But Brad & Co will have much better access and ought to be able to get to the bottom of it.

2 Likes

I have trouble deciding. I’ve been on the Gonzalez bandwagon for a while, saw him play early in the season and liked what I saw. Next was Porter, then Branch, then Witherspoon. I like a player that doesn’t gloat, just stfu and gets back to the LOS, no need to talk shit when you know your better than the opponent a la Barry. That is Gonzo and Branch But, I also like a CB to rough up the WR at the LOS, don’t give them a free release and don’t play off the LOS 10 yds, why I like Porter and Witherspoon. Hence my dilemma, really like the play of Gonzo, love the NFL bloodlines and physicality of Porter and appreciate how fearless and relentless Witherspoon plays the game. Branch is a just football player, a fearless, technician. What he lacks athletically, he makes up for with instincts and technique.

With good coaching, I think all will be solid. Gonna rely on Brad to pick the best one, but I hope they take a CB in round one.

1 Like

(2023 NFL Scouting Combine stock up/stock down, Day 2: Oregon's Christian Gonzalez shines)

Here’s the article That2…basically says some of the measurements don’t support a top 10 pick and will have to have elite pro day to justify…not that he can’t but their are some warning signs. I hope he’s wrong and he tests as an elite athlete. We’ll find out next week.

2 Likes

Well we already suspected athleticism and size would be his weaker areas, that should already be in his evaluation. They just need to meet a certain threshold for us to feel comfortable. I thought his size, while it wasn’t overly impressive, it was above the threshold. As long as he runs 4.55 or better it won’t effect my evaluation really at all. Obviously I’d prefer in the 4.4s but like I said, blazing speed isn’t his game.

3 Likes