Colin Cowherd Recommends Changes Dan Campbell Can Make: Why popular host believes Lions' coach must change

It was a 45 yard field goal. Obviously not a gimmie kick but it was more than doable.

Like I said its a matter of opinion. But I liked the idea of going up 3 scores. Instead it was a one possession game just a few plays later. I love Dan’s style. Just didn’t agree in that instance.

I agree in that circumstance he should have kicked the field goal to match the 49ers FG and go back up 3 scores.
It is true some risky decisions can cost games, but they also win games.
DC is my coach and I accept how he coaches.
You take the good with the bad in players and coaches.
Just like Goff is my QB and I know he doesn’t have a strong arm or great mobility. His composure, accuracy, and timing makes him an elite QB when protected. Keep investing in the O-line and running game to support Goff and as DC gets better players his gambles will be less necessary and more effective.

Not to nit pick, but it was 46 yards if we want to get technical :slight_smile:
FYI, his chances of making it? 50%

Correct → the guy is all over the place, even on makes…even on extra points. Not a centered energy or repeatable range of motion. Probably gets nervous around Jack Fox.

1 Like

I really don’t think Badgley had anything to do with it.
It was just Dan being aggressive.
Who cares about Badgley’s stats 3 or 4 years ago.
It’s about how he was kicking lately.
Badgley hadn’t missed a FG of any kind with Lions in 2023/24 and had made 12 of 15 kicks over 40 yards and 3 of 4 over 50 in the last 2 seasons with the Lions.
It was a nice day where wind and outdoor conditions were not a factor.
i don’t care if he had Justin tucker on the sideline, Dan was going for it.

2 Likes

Now go back & watch his form & energy. Is that where you want to put the fate of the team? Also, didn’t he miss a couple of extra points?

1 Like

My point is that it was about Dan and his aggressive nature.
The fate of the team was not on the line up 14 in the 3rd quarter.

I would say that more games are lost by over cautious coaches than by over aggressive coaches. I don’t have stats to say so but having watched football for over 50 years I can say I have seen a lot of games lost because the coach took the conservative approach. Given the two options I would much rather loose from aggressiveness. I believe the players prefer to play that way as well.

1 Like

Dan absolutely can be better then everyone not named reid.Mcvay threw Goff away, Dan rebuilt him. Mcvay coached a hell of a season and got outcoached by dan in the playoffs. Lafluer is a master offensive playcaller and got completely curb stomped at home licked his wounds a rebounded on thanksgiving. Dan was a josh reynolds drop away from pantsing media darling shanahan. Im sick and tired of the passive meathead jabs…just more proof they dont really get dan or brad tbh.

4 Likes

Correct. It was Dan going for the throat. It just didn’t pay in this instance. And again, I like his aggressive style. But that doesn’t mean I have to defend it 100% of the time.

The stats say otherwise regarding Badgley critics.

During his tenure with the Lions he was 24 of 28 on FGs while going 9 of 11 on 40 plus yards. So he’s been fairly reliable as a Lion. I dont think they foregone the FG because Badgley couldn’t do it.

You’re right, stats for the past 4 seasons prove he’s 50/50 from 45 yards plus.

1 Like

I stopped reading after Colin Cowherd recommends.

Ok, I lied. I did
What these idiot analysts who focus on his aggressiveness apparently losing the SF game fail to realize is that Dan’s aggressive is a big reason why the Lions ended up in the NFC Championship in the first place so…yeah.
Dan is not going to change he is nor do we want him to change who he is. Could he be a little more selective with the aggressiveness at times? Sure, but at the core of who he is, we wouldn’t have him any other way.

1 Like

Correct I am right. He’s 9 of 11 in the 40 to 49 yard range during his tenure with the Lions. They chose him over Patterson for this very reason.

Sorry but lumping all kicks at 45 yards as the same as everything over 45 yards including kicks that could be 50, 55 even close to 60 yards is skewering stats. He’s 9 of 11 in the 40 range. That’s not the same as a 55 yarder. Nice try lol.

Edit: Where are you getting your stats?

In the last 4 years he’s 18 of 21 from the 40 to 49 range. And he’s 2 of 4 from 50 plus. How does that add up to 50/50 at 45 yards? Lol

Pretty much how I feel.

Not a Cowhetd fan but I do agree with this point.

There’s a line, I get it, between aggressive and reckless. Doesn’t it feel like Dan crosses it regularly?"

I said it all season long that Dan crosses this line too frequently and I personally don’t think he can help himself. He loves to gamble and stay aggressive.

However I do think there’s some method to Dan Campbells madness …. Players love his aggressiveness and I think it has a way of rallying the troops but it can deflate them too.

I just feel Dan needs to be a little smarter about it. He’s too reckless at times.

1 Like

As you mentioned it’s all a matter of opinion but IMO the cardinal sin was not going for the kill shot end of first half when you’re f’cking dominating. Really? You tap out then, Dan.

That was my issue. But I get your more traditional approach. It’s Dan riding that middle that feels icky. And the 3rd down run late was idiotic. The field goal I’m fine with. That’s us. Take it or leave it.

1 Like

86% is the same as 50/50 everyone knows that…lol

What I really like is how the media uses stats (An independent Variable) to show that going for it in those situations results in a 50/50 win / loss then make the determination it was the right call. But if you take the stat of being up 3 scores, with that much time left, and the odds of winning are 90% you get a different outlook. This is why you can’t use an Independent variable to make a single determination. Anyone making that assumption shows they clearly do not understand how statistical analysis works.

Kicking the FG was the right call because missing it meant there was a 50/50 chance they still win but making it meant there was a 90% chance of winning the game and we had a kicker who was making those kicks 86% of the time. Odds of winning were better if we kicked the ball.

3 Likes

Precisely where I was going with this!

And I’m not knocking Dan in any way. I’d have a mob on me if I did that around here! :laughing: But yes, in that particular sequence going for the FG really should have been the easy choice in my opinion. The momentum really swung after that failed conversion. Going forward I do think there’s nothing wrong with evolving how and when you choose to be aggressive. Just because you’re already good at what you do doesn’t mean you can’t get better or improve.

1 Like

I cannot think of a person who is mkre the “anti Campbell” than that sniveling bag of useless hot air.

Jim Rome maybe?

Reading is not everyone’s strong suit, the stats are kicks OUTDOORS from 45-49 yards. All his kicks OUTDOORS since the 2020 season between 40-49 yards. 7-14 is 50%.

Read it again @Air2theThrown

1 Like