Compensatory picks show Holmes greatness early

That is true. Although winning team’s FAs tend to be overvalued on the market. Bill has shown great restraint in not overspending to keep his own. He typically doesn’t let the ones worth keeping slip away but it always seemed like they were getting the hometown discount because guys wanted to win. It will be interesting to see how Bill builds that team back up without the allure of Brady and competing with the Bills within the division.

1 Like

who are our comp picks?

Completely fair take. At the end of the day, it’s great we got comp picks, now we gotta nail the picks and start winning! And it’s 3-13-1, don’t you be giving us extra losses, lol

You lost it here… lost it all regarding this topic

• you stated in the above quote “opinion”. That all anyone can have regarding FA… and to just say it sucks well that reflects the author of that opinion imo
  • I’m using facts…. Look at all the good BJ has done already: he’s literally the best GM we ever had and it crazy that he’s only Been at it the short of time. And when he screws up, he fixes it vs making excuses…

Point is… comparing him to all the past GMs and all that he has done with getting and moving about players is greatness… I hope he keeps it up

But fact it he preformed great up to this point and love how he’s is handling FA…

Love you but opinions don’t hold water to facts

1 Like

Or on Jared’s Davis?

4 Likes

Well technically this fact is on the HC coach more so…. The GM gets the players and the coach makes the win or losses happen thru those players on the field

Getting Players and picks his the GMs job and he is killing overall so far

1 Like

You just contradicted your initial post… you know only losing good players on bad teams gets you comp picks…

So which is it?

I knew there was another one, just couldn’t recall off of the top of my head who. The reality is that if we got no comp picks for these guys it was more than worth it to get them off of our payroll.

And BH knew well enough of the timing and not keeping them and that the comp picks would be a fruit of the transaction: our GM knew the process and knew we could get picks and that influenced their release imho

Agree that 3-13-1 isn’t a great start, but given the intention of tearing it down (trading the Lions best player), and so many injuries to key starters, that’s not really a reflection of Holmes. Indeed, he and his staff managed to find a lot of talent in the 2021 draft (Sewell, McNeill, Amon-Ra, Melifonwu), and through the UDRFA process, which yielded a starter at nickel (AJ Parker), and a promising CB (Jerry Jacobs), on the outside.

The only criticism I have about the 2021 season is Campbell’s choice of Anthony Lynn as OC. That was obviously a mistake. The offense stunk.

However, you have to give Campbell some credit for recognizing the problem and adjusting mid-season to make things better. That’s reason for optimism.

3 Likes

Listen, I’m not saying I hate Brad Holmes. I’m not saying he’s bad. I like how he’s approaching most things and I think this coaching staff is great. I’m just saying it’s a little early to be naming him the ‘best GM the Lions have ever had’ based on one season. That’s all.

Love you all, but I’ve seen this same song and dance with so many 1st year GMs that I can’t bring myself to do it again. I need to see more over time before I’m giving Brad Holmes any sort of crown. I think he could very well turn this around. He’s done a great job and hasn’t done anything to completely screw the franchise up yet and that is better than most.

I want this Front Office to be the best we’ve ever had. I want Dan Campbell to raise a Lombardi as the head coach here. I genuinely think these are great people and it’s hard to not have an emotional pull for them. I’m just being much more hesitant and reserved when it comes to calling them successful after one year. I need to see it longer and sustained before I’m buying in 100%. Until then, I’m going to keep looking at them with a somewhat critical eye because I’m personally sick of buying in to new regimes and feeling like an idiot after.

2 Likes

This is where Holmes will make or break like every other GM we’ve had. Draft picks have to produce.

It’s a partnership. Dan and Brad have both said this. GM’s are judged on their win/loss records just like head coaches are.

I liked our 1st draft, hopefully the 2nd one is ever better. 5 picks in the top 97, gotta hit some home runs!

The teams with the most comp picks since the NFL began awarding compensatory selections are the Ravens, Packers, Pats, Cowboys and Steelers (the Rams are 7th). It seems like good strategy to me.

4 Likes

Yep, as someone else in the thread said, winning teams FAs are almost always valued higher. Chances are if you’re getting comp picks it’s because you’re winning and people want your players.

I remember people saying the same shit about Bob Quinn after year 1.

3 Likes

FWIW, here’s a list of players the Pats drafted between 2010-2019 with those comp picks.

Ted Larsen
Kenyan Drake
Kade Weston
Zac Robinson
Cameron Fleming
Geneo Grissom
Xzavier Dickson
Vincent Valentine
Kamu Grugier-Hill
Elandon Roberts
Ted Karras
James O’Shaughnessy
Conor McDermott
Yodny Cajuste
Ken Webster

I’m sure they used some for trades, but sure doesn’t look like the picks were very helpful.

1 Like

They should have, the Lions went 9-7 and their first 5 draft picks are all still in the NFL.

Yep, truly one of the great GMs in the NFL.

This is why I love them both and have hope - not expectations

They have synergy but apart

GMs get the players

HC is supposed to win with them…

Best is as you said they do it in a true partnership

1 Like