Conflicted Dan Campbell won't name Detroit Lions play caller: 'Eagerness to call it myself'

…or does he???

1 Like

Head coaches have access to discussions with their staff, and the degree that they are involved in playcalling varies per coach and per situation. Just because someone else calls the play doesn’t mean the HC doesn’t guide the direction of the playcalling. And just because a coach comes from one side of the ball, doesn’t mean he’s not involved in the play calls for the other side of the ball. Pete Carroll could have easily overruled the Super Bowl pass that was intercepted, for instance. He chose not to. And he wouldn’t call a specific run play, he would say something like “we need to be running the ball here” or “give it to Marshawn on a power play.” Other things I’ve heard mic’d up head coaches say in various situations to their playcallers:

“Let’s run the ball on this drive, set the tone.”

“The left d-end is crashing hard, let’s see if we can get something behind him.”

“I want to take a shot here.”

“Their QB is shook, let’s go after this motherfucker!”

“We are going to go for it on 4th down, so you’ve got 2 shots here.” (before the 3rd down playcall)

“We are getting killed up front. Get the ball out quick.”

“Let’s play coverage here and make him make a throw.”

“Nothing stupid here. A punt is okay.” (on 3rd and long when the coach is okay playing D instead of risking a turnover)

“Let’s feed Bobby the ball on this drive.”

“They are going to be in man coverage here.” (telling the playcaller to pull something from the man-beater part of the playcall sheet)

5 Likes

Mike Shanahan and Mike Holmgren did this. Sean Payton…I’m sure Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay do it or have done it.

2 Likes

I think Dan Campbell will be the play caller. Well Ben will mostly make the calls but Dan will be the one in Jared’s ear. I think Dan believes (correctly IMO) that Jared needs encouragement to flourish.

1 Like

/laughs in Brayden Coombs

2 Likes

So this is the guy that gets credit for Fox’s brilliance? Let’s buy this guy a razor and knock that thing off the top of his head. :wink:

this never occured to me—great idea

1 Like

Based on Johnson’s press conference have a feeling Johnson is calling plays

1 Like

I love that our collective mind is looking at “who is calling plays and even if we lose it’s ok” … vs how bad are we going to suck this year and what top ten draft pick are we all ready looking at! :crazy_face::heart::upside_down_face::+1::pray:

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.