Could lions give commercial money to player

why couldn’t the lions promise ford commercials to any free agents the come here and pay lower salary. Is that against nfl policies

2 Likes

It’s a CBA violation. If a player does marketing for FMC, they can get compensated and have it not be a CBA violation, but it’s got to be reasonable when compared to other athletes compensation.

There’s a fairly large section that covers this in the CBA.

If you tell an agent, hey we’ll pay you $2M from the club, but FMC will pay you $500k in an endorsement deal. The team has just violated the CBA and told an agent that they are committing that violation.

It’s the same thing Jerry Jones could write checks out of his personal account to players. But if caught, it’s a serious violation (may lose his team).

At the end of the day, it’s just not worth it.

4 Likes

I think it would have been a lot easier to do before high tech banking, transfers, etc. Bonuses and money paid in cash, how could track that!?

In modern day it would be very risky because it leaves a money trail with all these online transactions.

But, I’m sure it’s happened many times throughout NFL history. College too!

1 Like

The other thing to remember is that the cap is there to save owners money. There aren’t many looking to circumvent that.

1 Like

Just pay them in weed and DraftKings gift cards…yknow, league endorsed clean legitimate businesses!

cbs smile GIF by HULU

espn josh GIF

5 Likes

Remember when Barry was doing Cadillac commercials?
Yeah. Things can be worked out.

3 Likes

What about when Cecil fielder did the McDonald’s triple cheeseburger commercials with Prince? Since McDonald’s was a separate entity they could pay him however much they want, like Nike can play all their athletes, right?

2 Likes

yeah, that’s why players like to go to big market cities in free agency. More likely to get big endorsement money.

2 Likes

every free agent gets a free subscription to Grizzly Man Outdoors

2 Likes

What did The Revolution think about that?

2 Likes

Fishing Fail GIF by Conesulfoz

3 Likes

Those 2 could murder some cheeseburgers!!

2 Likes

The fart sounds really bring this one together.

But now I wish I could still get a triple cheeseburger for $1.69.

It was a heartwarming commercial

1 Like

Haha those burgers will give you the shits.

1 Like

It’s like when you’re starving and you just want something, scarf one down, and then regret it within 2-5 minutes

1 Like

dumb and dumber sudden realization GIF

1 Like

Hahaha classic scene!!

1 Like

We’ve all been there!!! The worst was back in college after a night of drinking, always hitting some kinda fast food or street food, oh the regrets, oh the regrets. So good going in, and then whoops gotta go!

1 Like

So many regrets… hahaha.

There was this club/bar in both Ann Arbor and East Lansing, Rick’s, and it was such a gross place. Floors and tables always sticky… but the worst was the bathroom, where there was no toilet paper or paper towel, just an old rag hanging from the wall. I felt bad for anyone who ever had to take a dump at Rick’s.

1 Like

And by “anyone” you mean you!! haha

1 Like