Couple of underrated pass rushers in middle rounds to consider for the Draft

Review of several Cal prospects available in the middle to late rounds.

Background:
I really only follow Cal in the NCAA and by extension some of the Pac-12. My ~20 years of experience says that the Pac-12 is generally underrated from a draft perspective. The games are on late for the east coasters. The Pac-12 is considered soft compared to the SEC. Except the very best players from the conference, most go under the radar by scouts and fans.

Which east coast team tends to feast on Pac-12 players? None other than the evil empire of Green Bay. They have always been smart drafters and get good players (including AR) below where they should be.

Holmes follows the P12 closely for this reason, and he took 4 of his 7 picks from P12. I would expect at least a few in the next draft.

DL/OLB prospects:
Cameron Goode. A very good all around edge defender. As noted by @CuriousHusker. He’s not the sack artist that Thibs is, nor the dominant pocket pusher that Hutch is. He’s a ~4th rounder that has an all around run/pass rush game and should be a solid contributor/starter for whatever team drafts him. Good value pick but not likely the game changer that the Lions need.

Kuony Deng. a very tall, lanky, athletic LB. He is basically Kyle Pitts Body as a defender. Came to fame as a Netflix - Last Chance U Player. He’s been playing out of position as a MLB. His body and frame would suit him as an OLB in a 3/4 hybrid assuming he can add some weight and muscle. He may never be able to. His best attribute is his ability to cover with + size length and athletic ability. He doesn’t come with near the assurance of reliable performance that Goode will but his upside is far higher. Deng will likely be a middle round ~4th pick based on this upside.

QB Prospect:
Chase Garbers will likely be a ~5th rounder. He’s mobile and well built. Arm is kind of weak. Careful with the football and more of a game manager. Playing style similiar Blough from what I’ve seen of both. The only real upside I can see is that I don’t trust the offensive NFL coaches he’s had in Tuiasosopo and Bill Musgrave. Two names with more NFL experience than most college QBs could dream of, but are these guys good coaches?

I doubt the Lions would take Garbers as he has career backup as his likely ceiling.

3 Likes

Yeah I like both Deng and Goode quite a bit. Could see Deng rising through the draft process as he crushes his testing, etc… If he stays in that 4/5th range, would definitely be worth a shot.

3 Likes

Nice, love the Draft expert notification!

2 Likes

Where do you think Goode goes? Though he’s a tweezer and not a freak athlete he seems like the type of player Campbell would love

I gotta tell ya, I think there’s a very good chance that none of these guys get drafted. I looked at all of their stat’s and checked some boards as to where they were rated and there simply isn’t much to go on. Of the 3 Cameron Goode may have a chance as a 3rd down guy so maybe. The only ranked team they played this year was #9 Oregon and he had 1 tackle assist.

I think BearlyThere wasn’t too far off, mid-late rounds (edit, not first). He’s not gonna blow up the pre-draft process but there will be FOs that love what he brings to the table.

Long way to go still and every year guys fall through the cracks because of something that turns teams off or goes unnoticed, especially on the fringe.

Cal, despite overall poor teams the last 50 years, has had a lot of talent go pro and thrive. More than most schools.

Not our best class but the needs may fit what the lions are looking for.

On an unrelated note Brandon Joseph just entered the portal. I hear he’s going to a Oklahoma State :laughing:

I like Edge - Jordan Strachan 6-5 250. Had a really food 2020 year. I like his upside and he can be had late in the draft.

Heh I admit I googled it. You got my hopes up! I knew he was in the transfer portal and I can’t say I love it, though coming back for another year makes sense given his play wasn’t really up to par this year.

If he goes to Bama or wherever and plays like he’s capable of he can go pretty high next year.

Cam and garbers had a good game.

Garbers may stick around a while as a backup… wondering where he gets drafted.