Crazy Draft Hypothetical…… What if?

I do - the backup position specifically. Because if this team adds to the defense and is primed for a playoff run and then Goff goes down, I don’t want my eggs in the Nate Sudfeld basket.

1 Like

Interestingly if you look back to Cal, that Oline was probably worse than Bamas. Goff was constantly under pressure

Don’t disagree. I’d to see the Lions draft a middle round QB in next years draft. The 2024 draft is going to be deep in good QBs. This year I think there’s still too many holes to plug

I simply don’t agree with “dimensions” being relevant though… Steph Curry doesn’t exactly have the drive hard to the hoop and rim jack like Ja Morant does, but it really hasn’t impeded his path to success… Shaq never quite figured out that free throw thing, and it didn’t stop teams for winning rings with him…

What does the NBA have to do with an NFL QB debate? Quite a bit actually… Remember “Hack-a-Shaq?” I guarantee Orlando, LA, etc would have much preferred to have Joel Embiid taking those free throws late in the game for them, but they weren’t exactly trying to replace Shaq in the middle due to his limitations in certain areas…

Tom Brady was blessed to play in the perfect NFL system… in 334 career starts (regular season) his defenses have allowed 24 plus points just 93 freaking times!!! Really think about that… 72% of the time Tom Brady’s defense kept opponents to 24 points or less!

Brady had 7 different seasons where his defenses allowed 24 plus points 1, 2, or 3 times the WHOLE YEAR!

How about this one… his defenses allowed 16 points or less 131 times… “40%” of the time Tom Brady could put up 17 points and win… 17 POINTS!

HERE IS THE REALLY REALLY CRAZY ONE- How about 82 of his 334 starts… ONE IN FOUR GAMES TB12’S DEFENSE HELD THE OPPONENT TO 10 POINTS OR LESS!!!

Jared Goff? His teams have allowed 25 points or more in 45 of his 99 starts… His teams have held opponents to 10 points of less 17 times…

The recipe for sustained winning has everything to do with defense, and very very little to do with QB mobility…

That is why guys like Matt Cassel, Jimmy G, Jacoby Brissett, Mac Jones, Bailey Zappe, Brian Hoyer, and broken old Cam Newton still somehow… COLLECTIVELY have a winning record in NE…

Kyler Murry, Justin Fields, etc can’t win despite their defenses, but the Patriots can win despite Jacoby Brisette…

3 Likes

I won’t speak about Bryce Young. I’ve seen him play twice.

But this much I know: NFL history is absolutely LITTERED with “can’t-miss superstars” who… missed. Badly. This is at least as true of the QB position as any other.

No way. This is a situation in which a Jared-Goff- in-the-hand is worth 5 Bryce-Youngs-in-the-bush, especially when you consider that even with improved play in recent games the Lions’ D is currently ranked #32 - dead last - in scoring.

Lions should keep it simple: use most of their draft capital and cap space to improve this defense. W/decent health the arrow on this O is UP - and they’re starting from #4. The arrow on Jared Goff is also UP - and he’s the league’s 6th-ranked QB right now. Get this team a defense that can approach “average” and get a promising young QB in the 3rd or later.

That’s an approach I can get behind.

2 Likes

Interestingly, I think it was Kirk Herbstreit that when asked about a player comp for Bryce Young, came back with… Steph Curry.

I’m imagining the warriors rolling up to the podium and saying, you know what? We’ve already got a pretty good point guard, and you know, we really could use a defensive tackle.

That’s kinda how I see this conversation we’re having.

“I use the comparison to Steph Curry because of how cool he is
but also his game,” Herbstreit said. “How he’s able to generate
I think, an awareness reminds me of Steph Curry. He’s able to
distribute. He’s able to score, and that confidence with a little
walk off there. That’s Bryce Young. The personality. The way he
leads his team for Golden State and the way Bryce leads his
team for Alabama. They look like the same guy.l know it`s
different sports, but it reminds me so much of Steph Curry.”

1 Like

I think this draft is deeper and that you can find one in the 6th. There are several I would consider there including Stetson Bennett.

I was a big fan of McCall and Penix in the middle rounds until they both opted back. I like Bennett but for a developmental guy Id rather have someone younger and more toolsy. He’s already over 25

So let’s draft Young and move Goff to shooting guard. Easy solution. We will score field buckets all day long

Hmmmm - I dunno how well Goff would do playing off-ball. Though on that Jamo run he did look AWFULLY fierce pretending to want to block somebody.

1 Like

After we ran up to draft Hutchinson after 2 seconds into our pick, we got raked over the coals by the league. We’re milking the clock this year.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.