CuriousHusker Nailed This Board's Future With The Lions

With the draft and other more visible manuevers distracting me at the time, I revisited our LB room while mulling Malcolm Rodriguez and Da Problem and how they could fit in defensively beyond special teams. I heard Chris Board was a special teams ace who played well in the relatively few opportunities he had, and then dropped him from my radar. We of course didn’t draft early in the deep LB class and now, after futher consideration, let me echo CuriousHusker from early April: Our new starting LB, Chris Board.

CuriousHusker

Apr 2

The more I read up about this player the more I think we slept on the consequence of this move. I think the plan is for him to be one of our primary linebackers. He was perceived to be one of the elite special teams players in the league. At under 2m for 1 year I think he could have found similar money and a spot on a much better team as a special teams ace. I think we were able to recruit him due to the idea that he could earn starter minutes during a prove it year.

The Ravens fans seem to like him quite a bit and in particular say he’s excellent on third down and in space. He’s a 4.6 flat guy and most Ravens fans seem to acknowledge that he’s quite good in coverage. Seeing as how they’re used to competent defensive play I see that as high praise. We of course have had a void in that role for a very long time. A few Ravens fans on Twitter have expressed that he needs to improve with his processing. Hopefully that can come with additional reps

Here is Jim Harbaugh on Board, “He’s a heck of a football player. In terms of special teams, he’s going to be a stalwart. I think he’s also a very good LB. He’s a good space LB, good coverage LB. (Detroit) is getting a great guy & heck of football player."

Lastly here’s a clip that kind of jumped out to me. Gio Bernard has for years been one of the better pass catching RBs in the league. I can’t remember having a LBer able to cover like that. Heartening to see Brad and the rest of the braintrust target an area of need. Hopefully it proves successful. Even if he just fills that niche and gives us good special teams play he’s a steal at 1.99m. I think there may be more upside there…

twitter.com

#### Tony Lombardi

@RSRLombardi

Really impressive coverage from Chris Board in a tough situation that I’m sure Wink Martindale would prefer to avoid. #Ravens have to be elated with the reps they are getting from this 3rd-year UDFA from North Dakota State. https://twitter.com/RSRLombardi/status/1346140137508495362/video/1

9:03 AM - 4 Jan 202187

10 Likes

There was a couple poster who said don’t sleep on this guy. The more I read the more intriguing he becomes. A good coverage LB has been a need.

3 Likes

I will be interested to see who gets the Lions share of reps at SAM.

1 Like

I sure hope Harbaugh is telling the truth and not just pumping up a former player in the media to be nice. If he’s such a good player why didn’t the Ravens keep him. He wasn’t expensive at all. 1 year for 2 mill.

I will say this, Detroit is a great opportunity for Board because the cupBoard is quite bare at linebacker.

2 Likes

If he can cover, I’m on Board with the signing. Other than that I’m completely Board with this topic.

3 Likes

Maybe because the Ravens are the ultimate compensatory pick team and figure they’ll grow another late draft pick or UDFA player like they did Board. That may not be valid though, because isn’t there some minimum contract signing threshold to qualify for a comp pick consideration? $2M might not do it.

2 Likes

Yea, you aint going to get a comp pick for losing a guy on a 1 year 2 mill deal.

Your posts are always above Board.

2 Likes

He’s just another reason to climb on Board the Lions Kool Aid train.

train GIF

2 Likes

No reason to go over-board with the praise until we see him on the field.
:stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Giving me praise at all for my posts here is BOARDerline criminal.

3 Likes

Hopefully his special teams ability really helps us on the scoreBoard!

3 Likes

And if not ship him off to Boarding school I don’t care how old he is.

2 Likes

Or give him the Board on his backside…

spank dragons' den GIF by CBC

1 Like

Will the pain and suffering he provides for Rodgers be the in game equivalent of water boarding?

1 Like

I think that’s why they got him. Board wants the chance to show he’s a 4-5m per ywar type of LB’er. Here he gets that chance .

1 Like

Haha yes please!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.