Dan Campbell liking what he sees from Lions CB Amani Oruwariye

– Dunbar has been on something of a pitch count throughout camp, then didn’t suit up at all coming out of the off day. Perhaps a couple days off will help him get over whatever he’s dealing with, but the injury does prompt the question: Who the heck is going to play cornerback if something happens to Okudah or Oruwariye? The Lions did just spend a third-round pick on Ifeati Melifonwu – that was one of the picks they acquired in the Matthew Stafford trade – but Melifonwu is a long way from being game-ready.

“You see his physical presence, he’s huge,” Oruwariye said. “He’s a smart player too. He’s just raw – very raw right now – but every day he’s getting better, every day he’s getting better. So I like what I’ve seen.”

It is good to see that Amani is still showing that he is willing to put in the time to improve his play. If Okudah and him can both take a big step this year I have high hopes for the CB position in the future.

Also not so surprised that Mel is looking raw, sometimes we forget how hard it is to transition from college to the NFL for some positions. Next season is when I expect to see something out of him, maybe a few late games this year.

DBs should look a ton better by default, just because of scheme change.
Rules of engagement have changed for our D. We are now allowed to return fire :wink:

I feel like our biggest weakness on D will be LBs in coverage. I think the DL will be unrecognizable, both in talent and scheme.

2 Likes

I agree, which is what I saw as one of the biggest problems the last 2 years. I am hopeful that the new scheme will allow the players to show their abilities without spending so much time hiding their faults.

1 Like

RODAN

1 Like