Dan Campbell’s in-game decisions and clock management ranked top 3

10 Likes

Love me MCDC & staff, but really?

They are getting better, no doubt, but top three?

8 Likes

The thing with Dan is he knows the data. The difference between him and other coaches is he isn’t going to hide behind the numbers.

7 Likes

Maybe Dan know’s a bit more than forum board fans?? :sweat_smile:

14 Likes

Wow, thats a thinker…:flushed::kissing_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Not even close, but you wouldn’t know it by the posts most Sunday afternoons.

5 Likes

I haven’t made up my mind yet. Should I say “I told ya, MF’rz?”…or should I wait until after he gets coach of the year? Should I wait until he takes us to a SB?
Multiple playoff runs & a couple/3 SBs? Should I wait for HOF?
…or should I just be humble & give a gentle reminder…
…I’ll take that route. :wink:

Guys…I love you…& I want to remind you that we have the best HC in the NFL.
I say this with deep understanding & humility.

:facepunch: :facepunch: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

well many posts they will pick one bad move an whine for the rest of the week an ignore the 3 or 4 good moves same game.

Its what some do here ignore the positives an just look at negatives . We know who they are an all opinions are welcome .

5 Likes

He made a couple questionable, desperation calls, but, he got much better as the season and health progressed.

5 Likes

When you have a top offense you naturally succeed at a higher percentage. Also factor in how bad our defense was for most of season and you have all the more reason to go for it.

5 Likes

NFL coaches do dumb shit all the time. I’ve seen the hoodie make questionable decisions. There’s a lot going on for them. It’s different than us making the decision from the calmness of our living rooms.

4 Likes

I’m surprised to read this, but pleased.

Bottom or Top?

:grin:

Always voted more kneecaps ftr

1 Like

There’s no doubt he had some growing pains - this was my single biggest request in the offseason. That he improve on this very thing. And he did, no question. Props to Dan

2 Likes

Massive Cajones Dan Campbell

2 Likes

At this point I have learned to let things play out instead of trying to jump ahead….to be the smartest guy in the room just so I can say…”See, told ya” :+1:

4 Likes

I thought so!

Think back. Even when Campbell was getting excoriated by armchair QBs, the talk show guys would toss in a line that “the analytics were on his side but…”

I sincerely think fans overestimated Lions’ talent following Hard Knocks. Campbell often made go-for-it choices and ran clock because our D simply couldn’t stop anyone - and he knew it. Those looked like bad choices because they didn’t work but, statistically, they were the better option to win.

There are people on the Internet who actually think Campbell is a meathead, but here’s the newsflash. He’s not.

1. He wasn’t distracted watching fans do the wave when the Penei Sewell pass play was called.
  2. He didn’t mishear Dave Fipp when they called for a fake punt on our own 27.
  3. He didn’t just accidentally see through Green Bay’s intentional offsides in the last game.
  4. And he didn’t magically just start doing better in-game calls when those calls started working.

We’re going to have to start accepting that our HC who is turning around a bereft franchise in record time might actually be highly competent, tough and smarter than us at his job.

7 Likes

THIS :fu:
About as well stated as it gets!

2 Likes

I generally would agree that coaches in the NFL are over conservative and data would likely support going for it more often. So I can see Dan ranked high. But I thought he was going on his gut feeling for a while there and not really data. And that led to a few crazy decisions.

1 Like

Not surprised in the least, and have been saying it all along.

Dan plays to win. It may be an unfamiliar concept to some.

Also, consider this statement:
“the calculations here are only about the in-game decisions on timeouts, fourth downs and play calls. It doesn’t deal with talent and perceived achievement relative to the talent on the team”

And then consider only the Eagles and Bills ranked higher in the in-game stuff. So, if talent is taken into account, I bet Dan is #1.

4 Likes