Dan Campbell’s in-game decisions and clock management ranked top 3

You have to have thick skin to break with tradition and go for it more often like the math says you should. Because you’re going to fail a lot and hear it from the old timers. But I don’t really think Dan cares.

2 Likes

I have been saying this all year.

3 Likes

John harbaugh has cost his team 2-3 wins this year

3 Likes

The analytics largely backed his aggressive decisions. When he used his gut rather than analytics it was generally a more conservative call than the analytics said. Like the time he kicked the field goal when the analytics said he should go for it.

I wouldn’t trade him for any coach - for real. Best in NFL.

YES!!!

3 Likes

Yeah like Green Bay going for it on 4th down on their own 30 or 40 or wherever it was in the first quarter against us…or the Giants punting yesterday on 4th and 6 down by 21 with like under 10 minutes to go.

2 Likes

I think people are giving way too much credit to MCDC saying he was following the analytics, he said in many post-game pressers that he was going with his gut.

2 Likes

Maybe analytics are are learning to go by Dan’s gut. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Wuuuutt?!!! Sean McVay, Boy Genius, isn’t in the top-15?

Ya don’t say.

:smirk:

Listening to people that actually know Dan, he’s a really smart guy. An intelligent person listening to their “gut” is often right because their intelligence is able to process large amount of information quickly and their “gut feeling” is just their intelligence shining through.

2 Likes

posts brian GIF

Mcvay had a record of 45 straight wins when leading at halftime. His in game decision making is good. I question where these numbers come from. Brandon Staley is top 5 two years in a row… yet the chargers seemed to manage to lose so many games they were poised to win.

1 Like

I wanna double-underline this point, BN. Not everyone does this, to be sure, but I find extraordinary that so many fans (and pundits!) assess the wisdom of a decision according to how it works out. Classic “hindsight is 20-20” stuff. Whether the decision is about which player to draft, FA to sign, play to call, whether to go for it on 4th, got for the FG or punt, etc. etc. The fact that some decisions don’t work out doesn’t mean that they were bad decisions.

4 Likes

100% - in conjunction with talent dictates how you call a game as well.

1 Like

Yep. Which is one reason why there’ll always be a proper place for “gut” feelings alongside analytics in coaching decisions. I’m with those who say that some of Dan’s aggressive down-distance play calling was dictated by the very poor play of the defense. IMO he was absolutely right to take a high-risk-high-reward approach to putting points on the board. Later in the season, once the defense came on nicely, he throttled back the aggressiveness even in some situations where the analytics might have said otherwise.

Perfectly sensible IMO.

1 Like

100%

1 Like

I don’t think it was just the defensive improvement.

I thought he was a bit more gun shy and more judicious after the Patriots game. That game really appeared change his approach. We were woeful that day but his over aggressive approach killed us - he learned the lessons from it

1 Like

If you have listened to MCDC you know he knows the analytics. He is a meathead who is highly aware of the data. It reminds me of “dumb” bodybuilders who are insanely versed on the human body and every single part, piece and function. Dan has said that analytics are important but he will trust his gut. And just because he trusted his gut, doesn’t mean he bucked the analytics. Dan’s aggressiveness lines up with the analytics more times than not. As I said earlier, Dan is different because he doesn’t hide behind the analytics. He will make a call that doesn’t work out and say he trusted his gut to go for it in that situation. Then later we find out that the analytics lined up with his decision. But Dan doesn’t shrug his shoulders and say “derp analytics made me do it derp.”

2 Likes

Probably fair.

Or maybe his gut is filled with Analytics?

3 Likes