Dan Millers game calls

My absolute favorite thing to listen to.

Not sure if this was posted, but now I get to see the energy he brings to the radio waves with my own eyes.
Nothing short of spectacular in my opinion.

11 Likes

I didn’t think he had the vocals for the job when he landed it some-odd years ago. I just felt like his speech was too labored and somewhat muffled.

Another example of my not being the sharpest tack in the box.

4 Likes

Here’s the full version!! Miller is so fired up!! Gotta love it.

10 Likes

I always liked Mark Champion prior to Miller. I actually enjoyed listening to his play by play over the air more than watching over the tube at times.

5 Likes

Thanks man!

3 Likes

I listened to him with a earbud in while in the stadium

He is terriffic

5 Likes

Champion was good, but he got way too depressed sounding when the Lions were sucking. In other words, he always sounded depressed.

5 Likes

I love Miller’s calls. He’s awesome.

3 Likes

I don’t remember what he was like, but I think it takes time to kinda get the hang of it and find your style and voice. I remember I didn’t like ken kal when he took over for Bruce Martyn but now I think he’s really good!

Definitely a job you probably get better at with time

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Didn’t know that much went into creating a smooth broadcast with all of the spotters, etc. That was interesting & cool to see

2 Likes

This is great insight into how the audio booth works. You can see him getting corrections and checking player numbers in real time. In addition to the four people you see there, there are probably at least two more people on the production team not in the booth. There is always a producer, a technician, a reporter on the field and a statistician in addition to the announcers. They also share responsibilities with the on field audio crew. When I was a kid I got to sit up in the silver dome booth 3 times and watch my uncle call the game. Id quiz him on player numbers on the way there. I got to watch him once as an adult in ford field with Dan who’s a real pro.

6 Likes

This was very cool to watch. Love him on the radio.

I always thought Brandy did a great job. I liked Champion too.

3 Likes

I was kind of surprised he looked like he was sitting kind of far away from Lomas. I just always pictured they were sitting next to each other, but they have someone in between. That would be kind of weird, like you’re talking to someone but you aren’t next to them or looking at them just over a headset

2 Likes

Yeah, my uncle would have been right next to Dan.

1 Like

He used to call games for FOX/NFL….like any other broadcaster who does play by play he had to develop a rhythm and a flow. Didn’t take him very long to do it as he got it down by the end of his first year doing Lions radio. You could definitely tell the difference from when he called games on TV….til his initial calling radio and by the end of his first year calling radio.

1 Like

He definitely opened up the pipes a bit.

Those are the spotters….they pretty much communicate what’s going on the field to the broadcast talent. That’s why one is sitting to Miller’s left and the other is between Miller and Brown but to Brown’s left

1 Like

Wonder how much a spotter gets paid, looks like it could be a fun job

1 Like

Champion was awesome….these two have different sounds but the same level of energy that they convey to their radio broadcasts for this team. I could say the same for Ken Kal and Dan Dickerson…the excitement on big plays are all matching energy’s and enthusiasm!

2 Likes