Coyotes! Welcome to the new Den.
Good to see you!

1 Like

Welcome home, @coyote12.

Nice to see ya here.

1 Like

We’re gettin the band back together!

2 Likes

Someone has to keep you people on straight an narrow . An let ya know when your wrong LOL

4 Likes

Wasn’t it a couple years ago too where they called an opposing players penalty on a lions player?

So lame. The Gado call still infuriates me

2 Likes

Yep. A Lions OL (Glasgow) had an illegal hands to the face penalty called on him when it was the Bears player (Eddie Goldman) who did it.

Fortunately, that call did not cost the Lions the game:

2 Likes

Literally unbelievable. For as much $$ as the NFL has, the fans deserve way better.

3 Likes

The worst part about the officiating are the things being said by players about it. In the Texans game, JJ Watt got held really badly. He yelled at the ref and asked him if he saw it. He replied “yeah I saw it. I’m not calling holding though.” The refs do not care about getting it right. They have other motivations.

The worst example is from a few years ago back when TD celebrations were penalized. Antonio Brown did the same butt waxing dance on every TD that year. He was penalized on HALF his touchdowns. Even late in the year… that means the NFL never reviewed them. No memo sent… nothing. Refs were free to do whatever.

The only reason the Cowboys were jobbed the following week in Lambeau was a direct result of the heat the NFL took in the week following the fix job the week before against the Lions , When Florio says should Dallas win the Superdowl it should have an asterisk the NFL needed the Boys out of it so it would just die.

The Bears should be 0-2 no doubt . If you think for one second that the NFL and it’s scheduled 5 prime time games for the Bears do not play a part in how calls are made or steered… I have a beach house in Idaho to sell you .

2 Likes

As I recall frankly the Seattle Loss alone kept us out of the playoffs. Seattle finished 9 and 7 that year wheras the Lions finished 7 + 9 . Simply change the outcome of that game alone and both teams become eight and eight and the Lions win the tiebreaker over the Seahawks as a result of that game of head to head. I’m not a hundred percent sure without looking it up but that seems to be what I remembered

hey Coyote don’t be a stranger bud, good to see you!

2 Likes

I think it’s the abundance of calls that is killing me.

If the refs could just let some of these holding calls go, I’d be fine with it. I don’t care if the O-Line holds a little bit. I really don’t.

Similarly, has anyone seen a punt without a flag yet this year? Anyone?

3 Likes

Let them play…I think the officials tend to swallow whistles in a close game at the end.

But it is also on the players to adjust to how the refs are calling a game, but they never seem to learn.

1 Like

I definitely want holding called if its a hold…and its in the general area to effect the outcome of the play. What I hate are the holding calls that are away from the play and have no bearing on how the play turned out.

1 Like

I fully agree with this ! you fine them for bad calls and they start making damn sure that they call the game correctly and fairly at all times and don’t hand out favors to certain teams they want to see win. And I say each official get’s a 3-strike chance , that is if you are a ref and you still make a mistake calling a game , strike one…at strike 3 , your fired/ out. that way you wind up getting individuals , officiating in the NFL that do get it right…more than officials running wild…

Agreed, 100%.

I actually mentioned this in the other penalty thread.

https://lionstalk.com/t/tom-brady-changes-thursday-night-game/1450/6

IMO “grading” isn’t the problem. the problem is that these officials aren’t supposed to be bums off their couches, or pulled out of bars…they are supposed to be trained professionals. They are taught ALL of the rules until they are beat into their heads, they KNOW the rules; even updated rules of the game and are paid well to abide by them and make the correct calls. but they think ‘what if I don’t?’ there is no law policing them for making bad calls , they get a little slap on the wrist by Goodell and the head of officiating…“hey don’t do it again.” “we all make mistakes.” “bad.” “bad.” and they are released to do whatever. "there is no real threat of termination for making poor calls 5 times , ten times, 20 times…and we the fans complain royally, but still nothing is done so they are running wild throwing flags almost at every thing there is.

It is ruining the experience and game.

all I ask is for them to be honest and fair and call games down the middle EVERY game, don’t pick favorites and let certain teams get away with more than another team. call the right/correct penalties each second of each game .

don’t get pissy because the fans are always upset with you , because there is a reason for that ….just do your job correctly and by the book .

There has to be a check and balance system here NOW ! So that when, not if–when officials make too many bad calls they are fired. and not double-digit numbers of poor calls SO they have a constant reminder that poor judgement will not be tolerated, mistakes will be monitored and if you do get too many, your history. I feel only then will we see a better result.
Goodell needs to jump on this IMO.