Dane Brugler’s New Mock

Has Ikem Ekwonu going number one. I’ve said many times I can’t see Neal going #1 overall, but Ekwonu’s a different story. He’s a manimal. Brugler also says many of the scouts he talked to have him ranked higher.

Here it is, but it’s behind a paywall:

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2022/1/19/22891291/2022-nfl-mock-draft-detroit-lions-dane-brugler-hutchinson-olave

2 Likes

Jaguars take NC State tackle Ikem Ekwonu with No. 1 pick in Dane Brugler’s latest NFL mock draft. Brugler also has three quarterbacks going in the first round: Pittsburgh’s Kenny Pickett, Ole Miss’ Matt Corral, North Carolina’s Sam Howell
With the first pick in The Athletic’s latest NFL mock draft from expert Dane Brugler, the Jacksonville Jaguars select North Carolina State offensive tackle Ikem Ekwonu.

Brugler said with no clear-cut top prospect, going with an offensive tackle might be the smartest choice as the position, according to several draft evalutors, is stronger than the pass-rusher group, which includes Michigan’s Aidan Hutchinson and Oregon’s Kayvon Thibodeaux.

“A three-year starter at NC State, Ekwonu has impressive movements for his size and generates extraordinary explosion at contact,” Brugler said. “He lacks refinement and is guilty of over-setting, but he is nimble, powerful and should get better and better as his technique and awareness mature. Ekwonu’s tape shows a tackle who can also play guard, not the other way around.”

Brugler also has three quarterbacks going in the first round: Pittsburgh’s Kenny Pickett, Ole Miss’ Matt Corral and North Carolina’s Sam Howell.

Our picks were Hutchinson, Olave, and Roger McCreary. I wouldn’t hate it. Love getting Hutch. Olave’s not my favorite option at WR but the board really worked against us, really like McCreary, surprised he lasted that long.

2 Likes

Anything looks good after Kiper’s draft. I got a little nauseous.

3 Likes

Yeah, I saw that mock this morning and I trust it more than anyone who mocks us a QB in the first 3 picks.

I like Olave with Goff because he’ll get open when and where he’s supposed to–in my ferverish mind at least. He’ll need to block with Lions and develop in that area. Hutch check. Taking McCreary: Do we transition JO to safety with Iffy and 2-4 looking good at CB?

1 Like

Not only that but Brugler knows his stuff and he’s extremely well connected. If we ever get another Rich Gosselin, it’ll be him.

2 Likes

Correct, which is why I take his statement about the OT at #1 as really interesting.

Jags have to protect Lawrence. If he has a 2nd rough season, the bust drums will get deafening and the pressure goes way up.

Their only priority is to get Lawrence to be the guy they think he was a year ago. Better OL, add back Etienne, and hopefully a new culture will get Chennault and Marvin involved the right way.

They could go WR at 2.33 as well…deep class, probably lose Chark, Marvin has just a couple years left…

1 Like

I know Laviska spells his name differently, but one of my very favorite 20th century military figures is Claire Chennault…

Flying Tigers, ever read “God is My Co-Pilot”?

1 Like

I thought we wanted players who love the game, not just mercenaries holding out for top dollar.

1 Like

Chennault Loved air power so much he went out and got paid to shoot down Japanese planes way before the government would allow him to.

Best of both worlds

1 Like

I want either Ojabo or Olave for no other reason than the excitement both of those names bring to Gus Johnson for when he calls our games.

3 Likes

We need more dudes whose last name starts with O.

1 Like

office space o face GIF

5 Likes

After Day 2 of the draft I want to read that we took 3 impact players, because it means that here and now is important to this team. We can build, “the right way”, meaning for the future but that doesn’t preclude us from building for today. We don’t have to reach to get players who fit our needs. DE, WR. LB and Safety… I absolutely believe that there will be players available to fill those needs and don’t require us to reach to make it happen. These guys are going to change their drafts 50x between now and actual draft day, our focus should remain steady.

If that draft fell like that, I’d be making some calls to see if I can pick up Jordan Davis or DeMarvin Leal.

I think Olave would work here with St Brown. I feel like that would be a good combo. I’d venture to say they still need an X though.

1 Like

Can’t read the draft and who is available but the DT I would target is Walker from UGA if they feel confident he can put on 20 lbs.

He went at 14 to the Ravens if I recall correctly.