Daniel jones is gonna make whaaaaaat?

I also think it’s pretty telling how much depth there is at QB in the NFL. Not that much.

1 Like

I love when people just categorically say whatever market rate contract goes out limits the team or caps success, as if they were personally managing the finances of the organization. If it were up to some of these people teams would perpetually have a QB on a rookie contract.

No thanks. I’ll focus on the product on the field. And right now the product on the field, in terms of offense, is some of the best in the league and that’s in no small part because of Goff.

2 Likes

Just FYI, the Lions had over 20 million in dead cap last year. If you add Brockers, Vaitai, and Okwara that’s another 15 million that was basically doing nothing. Oh and the salary cap for 2023 is 16 million more than last year.

The Lions will be fine paying market wages for their star players.

So you’re saying it doesn’t factor in who you can “keep” or “aquire”? Seems like it happens all the time. The good teams navigate around it though via drafting well or FA/trades. NE did it for years, and you see Kansas City doing a really good job of it(Tyreek Hill trade). Seattle had that issue back in Russell Wilson’s prime.

Do you think teams like Tampa and New Orleans, who have really bad cap situations, are limited in what they can do in FA?

1 Like

I wouldn’t pay him that. I would trade his ass and let him see if another team gives him that money.

I dont get it, what other team is going to offer him 40m? What is Carr going to get?

1 Like

It’s a much more complicated process than looking at Jones contract and categorically stating that the Giants are ■■■■■■ forever.

Yeah and you guys are complaining about Goff maki g 40 million a year.

Chappelles Show Lol GIF

Obviously the structure of the contract is important, but when you start getting into the 2nd contract of a QB and beyond(if they’re good) decisions on who you can keep do come into play eventually. Maybe not this year, but eventually. That’s especially the case when your team’s talent level goes up. With that being said that’s what you want to happen anyway because it means your team is winning and your developing good players.

1 Like

Thank you……!!! Great post-

It’s freaking hilarious that people in here ball at paying Goff 40M, but have no issue paying Sewell or St Brown 20M plus per?

It also eludes most that the cap will be 290M by the time Sewell is up for renewal….

By the time we are paying Sewell 25M, we won’t be paying 20M to a 33 year old Decker…

If I’m the giants I at least explore some other options, a trade with Detroit up to 6, call Derrick Carr’s agent. I would not be in a hurry to sign him to a big long term contract.

The Giants are in the same position as the Lions, just not as good of a QB. The Giants have a good coaching staff and are digging out from the hole that Gettleman put them in.

They can explore drafting a QB, just like the Lions, but they need to at least franchise Daniel Jones and a $40M contract isn’t out of line, despite what the analytic people. think.

2 Likes

They are currently paying zero star players…

This is adding feel to the fire of drafting a QB now. If Jones gets $40m+, I shudder to think of what Goff’s extension would look like. Goff is good but we know the ceiling of his potential, he’s not a guy you want to pay THAT much coin too.
I don’t envy Holmes/Campbell’s position on this QB decision.

Exactly and that’s a “decision” to not keep Decker because hopefully there’s a plan in place at that point to have maybe a more affordable, younger(yet good) replacement option and keep the train rolling so to speak. This doesn’t even factor in what some of our other players like St. Brown are going to want for example when their rookie contract is up. Of course that’s where we want to get to anyway where we have multiple players wanting big deals. It means we’re trending in the right direction. Good GMs tend to be forward thinkers and navigate their way through that stuff.

I

1 Like

Makes Goff’s 33m a year look like a steal.

3 Likes

And it’s not even that, we are on the hook for $26M per year.

4 Likes

Exactly why I won’t be surprised to see a QB at 6 or 18. They know what they have in Goff, is he worth 50 Mil a year? Absolutely not. I am a Goff fan but I would puke at that number.

2 Likes

How many years left on Goff’s current contract?

two