DBs - Let's Analyze

To start, Witherspoon CB from Illinois a guy I had my eye on in mock 1.0 at 1B and also 2.0… while he’s a stud he is no SAUCE or SURTAIN. Also in a draft with a lot of quality CB, might be best to wait and see how the chips fall for Day two?

Amani O and Will Harris - both of these guys were drafted by the old detroit patriots. Can’t see them being back.

Deshon- he’s a gamer back there. Initially thought he would go and get paid, but as unbelievable as it may be…Detroit is a place people want to come too now!!! And take a discount to stay.

Iffy- Seems like he has been cross trained to replace Will Harris anyways. That CB/FS/NB role. Not a very good player, but decent at a lot of positions will keep you on the roster for sure. Versatility and special teams.

Okudah- rumors were he was available at the deadline too. No way we pick up his option, right?

Hughes- a must resign role player IMO

Tracey Walker - in the exact spot we saw Romeo O last year. Nice 3 year deal, boom injury out for season. Hope he starts on PUP, could use a midseason boost in 2023 anyways. No need to rush and risk more injury to other leg for compensating…

Draft… I mentioned going back to back. Well, I’m gonna put my money and say we draft 3 DBs this year. Just like Edge last year.

Free Agency - while we all want to trade for Ramsey, or sign a Jamel Dean, etc. The most likely scenario is we go the 1-year prove it deal or the 2-year veteran we can count on deal. I’ll mention both below

CB- Okudah — ROOKIE
CB- Jacobs — Hughes Greedy Williams 1 year prove it

NB- Troy Hill 2 year — ROOKIE

S- Kerby — (Tracey PUP)
S- Deshon ---- ROOKIE

DB - Iffy

There’s 12 guys I mention…usually have around 18 or so in camp. I’m sure Chase Lucas, AJ Parker, Price, CJ Moore will be hanging around camp maybe PS again.

Start looking at Draft and can see yes pick #18 or #48 looks like a prime spot to get some of that quality CB meat of this draft.

Day 2 also looks like a great spot if you are looking for a Safety:
Jordan Battle bama
Sydney Brown illinois
Jayir Brown penn state
Ronnie Hickman ohio ste
Chris Smith georgia
Brandon Joseph notre dame

That’s the meat and pototes right there. Sweet spot for S is Day two.

Nickel CB-- two guys to keep your name on Clark Phillips III from Utah who I’ve seen mentioned here a bit…and a guy I haven’t seen mentioned Jatavius Martin from Illinois. That round 3 sweet spot same place we got Kerby for these guys looks prime.

KEEP IN MIND - Everybody on Witherspoon now. he’s a stud I know, but this is a very good and deep draft at DB. And we need it.

Sydney Brown SS and Jatavius Martin CB/NB both also played with Kerby at Illinois…remember that too.

Final gem I like Day 3- DARIUS RUSH Sout Carolina. converted WR 6’2 200. Looks the part like these other guys Witherspoon, Ringo, Porter, etc.

I was watching South Carolina…trying to check out this Cam Smith dude everybody is raving about. Boy was I impressed. Only issue was, I was watching Rush his teammate not him.

Day 3 steal right there…like them Seattle boys drafted last year. he’s my Tariq Woolen of this draft.

2 Likes

Will Harris gets analized alot on gameday. That’s why replacing him is such a high priority.

cannoli GIF

If Jalen Carter or Keion White aren’t available at #6. I’d be running to the podium with D Witherspoon’s name if I’m the Detroit Lions

2 Likes

What role ? The guys was a bust at the NB spot he did play better on the outside. But no way is a must resign if he’s on the field means you sure didn’t improve the position. Rather keep will Harris he can play multiple roles. Hughes can only play outside and not all that good. You lost me with this one.

2 Likes

Well you missed because I just brought him up bit ago. He would be great can play S,CB and NB and plays them pretty good too.

1 Like

Im sure I’ll get destroyed for this and i know there was a topic on it but if we doubled down on CB in round one i wouldn’t complain.

Im sure that wont happen and probably shouldn’t but we have enough picks to fill out other spots later and our CB’s are a mess even if we keep okudah.

I fully expect one CB in round one and another in round two or three along with a free agent signing.

6 Likes

Does nobody like Jerry Jacobs, the guy is very underrated here. Go back and look at the impact he has had when he is on the field. And how much better this defense was with him back in the line up. Okaduh and Jacobs were both playing well it’s the NB that gave us the most trouble. I still think we need a outside guy also but that NB, S CB guy is who we need. A guy like Branch or Jartavis Martin.

4 Likes

Vomiting Stick Figure GIF by CowWolf

don’ forget Lucas as part of the room I am still taking 2 in draft if its Witherspoon at 6 i am ok unless he moves to slow or comes in with different measurements at combine at 18 I would pick Branch
He is the new starting nickel.

Now you have the 3 we have from past season an two new ones at end of day one.

Witherspoon Branch Okaduh Jacobs Lucas Jarren Williams( will have a shot at roster)

I still look to draft another late also would like saftey mid rd.

2 Likes

Yep I’m with you. Would be a surprise if he moves too slow or doesn’t measure well. He looks to have the size, speed, twitch on film

SS Kaevon Merriweather IOWA QB rating when targeted…24.2, never seen one this low, ever.

Also from draftbuzz…“In 2022 as a fifth year senior Merriweather saw action in 12 games while playing 806 snaps. He logged 42 tackles, 6 assists, and made 17 stops. In coverage Merriweather had 4 pass breakups, 3 interceptions, and surrendered an outstanding QB rating when targetted of 11.7.”

2 Likes

We shuoldn’t wait too long for a CB. Ideally, a trade down to about 10 or 11 and you’re sure to get one of the top 3 – for me, its Gonzalez/Witherspoon and then Cam Smith a slight notch below. But, I’d trust some others on this board more than me…

I also like Jordan Phillips in the second round hopefully… despite his size.

A few of us keep harping on this: Okudah’s future may be better at safety. I’m still hopeful that Iffy pans out, agree that he’d be best as some kind of hybrid. Its going to be a very interesting off-season.

You mean the practice squad

1 Like

I’m a fan of merriweather he’s a day 3 guy but in my board as well

What style of CB do we need?

Jacobs is a physical/route disruptor style. Hitter not tackler in run support.

Okudah is a bigger guy too with stickiness and some make up burst. Hitter and tackler, willing and competent in run support

Lucas? I don’t think he is going to be much more than depth ever.

We need a speed guy. A hang with Tyreek and JaMarr and Watson and Diggs kind of guy.

This is why I want one of those 2 guys at the front of the class, Spoon or Gonzalez. Trade back to 9, add a chip, still get your guy. Now that chip fills in your OL guy or edge depth or S or your value RB…

CB, Bijan, Dline or Capmbell. Thats what I want by pick 48. Then you have 3 more from there to 81 to value snipe.

3 Likes

Hughes was solid outside for Chiefs in 2021 and Detroit in 2022. Looked better, graded higher than Jacob’s on PFF as well.

Hughes isn’t relied upon to be our nickel, reread my post.

But he can play NB if need be, unlike Jacobs

Jacobs can NB at least that good. Saying he can play it doesn’t me much when you are that bad.

Mike started 6 games - 35 tkles - 0 int - 1 PD
Jerry started 8 games - 37 tkles 1 int - 8 PD

Blockquote

Yote- what do you think about free agent signings I mentioned?

What S you like on day 2 of draft?

Blockquote

It is my opinion that we need a bonafide #1 lock down CB

Okudah to walk in a year?

Jacobs and Hughes are quality depth that can start.

I propose adding:

1. Forbes or Ringo

2B or 3 - Safety/NB

Day 3 - Rush or Merriweather back there

Free agency NB Hill & CB Greedy

1 Like

Yes, no way do I want to get out of the first w/o one of the top CB’s. The only thing that changes this scenario is if Carter or Anderson is there and I don’t see how that can happen.

4 Likes