DC calling plays for the rest of the season

I’ve been holding my Thoughts on DC and play calling …. Until now - this article

I’m glad he’s going stick it out as he needs the experience and why not at this point…. This experience will be helpful when giving back the play calling to whoever the OC is

4 Likes

I agree, he might as well get some experience and figure out plays that Goff might be best at.

The more important question is what in the heck is Anthony Lynn doing at practice and during games? Just sitting in the booth eating popcorn? Gotta be something more than meets the eye to this.

5 Likes

I feel the opposite. If DC is going to call plays next year, good effing luck getting ANY OC worth a damn. I view this as a very bad, very arrogant thing. Why not give Duce Staley a shot at it? A guy who has ACTUALLY gotten some looks for OC. What is the worst thing that comes of it? You find out that Duce is somehow worse than you are and you lose more convincingly?? Still worth it to see if Duce can do it and you get an internal promotion which looks good to everyone around the league. This seems incredibly ego driven considering the DC/Holmes mantra coming in was… wait for it…

No Egos

8 Likes

He’s a Parcells guy. Parcells did this same thing at different points in his career.

3 Likes

I think you misread what Deaddog said. He mentioned giving the play calling back to the new OC next year. But, this would be good experience for Campbell, having never called plays before.

And I think Duce is heavily involved in the game plans and play calling. Duce is standing on the sideline right beside Campbell. Lynn is up in the coaching box eating popcorn.

3 Likes

same thing Matt Nagy and Eric Bienemy did as OC while Andy Reid calls the plays.

Well with him calling plays you don’t have to worry about ever winning a game, #1 pic here we are.

One breath you talk about changing culture you can’t change culture by going winless, and Dan is setting the culture now. His play calling isn’t just bad it’s laughable. This team is the joke of the NFL.

Can he at least limit his "phone a friend"s to Mooch?

Pretty funny comparing Dan meat ball knee cap bitter Campbell to Andy Reid.

that is NOT a comparison of DC to Reid.

It is comparing the neutering of Lynn as the OC to the role that Nagy and Bienemy have in KC… which is no compliment considering Nagy is terrible as a play caller and Bienemy has repeatedly been overlooked for HC positions.

1 Like

Important to consider the source and take it for what it’s worth. Sometimes things can seem a certain way, when taken out of context.

Consider his entire body of work.
Have you seen any signs of him being a big ego guy?
IMO, he’s a heart-centered dude that does what he feels is best for the team.

I call…No Ego.

Just my opinion, but I do strongly disagree w/your take. It would be out of character for him.

5 Likes

I was just going to say something similar, maybe with DC taking playcalling, he’s handing more HC stuff to Staley. I think he has his eye set on Duce becoming a HC, not a coordinator, so maybe that’s part of the long term plan? Just a possible scenario…

2 Likes

Goff did have his best game of the season last week with Coach Dan calling the plays. Yes, we suck, but that’s worth noting.

5 Likes

This is all speculation of course because none of us know the man personally but this absolutely seems like an ego driven move to me. Why else would he relinquish the play calling duties from the OC that he actually hired himself? He thinks he can do a better job, that’s ego right there and is a bad look IMO for a guy who has zero track record of calling offensive plays successfully in this league.

I’ve been a defender of Campbell in general but him taking over the play calling duties is an ugly look and completely contradicts his offseason mantra of “This is a team effort” and a bad sign of a guy who is losing control a bit and reeks of an administration that was blowing a lot of hot air in their offseason speak.

1 Like

For sure.

What if there’s a rift in the locker room and the guys don’t like him? Dunno? Speculation, for sure…but one thing I don’t see in Dan’s body of work is ego. Extremely low.

What if it’s not because he knows X’s and O’s better but because someone is causing division in the locker room?

Truth is, we don’t know what we don’t know - none of us.

I don’t think he fancies himself a play caller, or wants to. This tells me there’s more than meets the eye here. Something would have to be seriously wrong, in order for this to happen. I don’t think its a matter of “I can do better.”

Dan’s energy is “stick up for the team, energy.” Dude more than likely thinks OC duties are a pain in his ass and he’s annoyed that he has to do it…the inverse of ego. He won’t be doing it next year.

2 Likes

Lynn going to be fired I bet

Is there any track record of Lynn being a disturbance in the locker room, of players not liking him?

The reality is that we both have no idea what’s REALLY going on but to my eye at least, Campbell taking over the play calling duties has been a big red flag especially considering what he preached in the offseason over and over again about embracing a team atmosphere with the coaches and team unity. It reeks of somebody who is a bit of a fraud to be quite frank. I could be wrong but that’s just how I feel about it, doesn’t mean I’m right but I don’t like it one bit.

2 Likes

The most interesting quote is how involved he made Ben Johnson with the play calling.

Passing game, specifically,