Dead Cap Money Coming Off the Books - Positive News

Pretty crazy we were still paying for Flowers and Collins this past season. Great to get them off the books finally. Just horrible free agent signings.

Officially 20.4 Million dollars will come off the book in dead money soon.

Contracts of;

• Trey Flowers - 12.1M
  • Jamie Collins - 6.3M
  • Tyrell Williams - 1M
  • Jahlani Tavai - 1M
9 Likes

That is wild! We can just roll that into our new dead money for Romeo, Vaitai, Brockers, and Harris.

5 Likes

$20.3M in dead cap for players who NEVER made much difference. Hutch already has better numbers than Flowers in every category and James Houston beat his sack high in just 7 games. Btw, I like our new regime!

9 Likes

Valid point! I think Harris will be back, but the other 3 I think are gone as well. If there is one important lesson here, be careful in free agency for the love of God!

1 Like

45c7fb06-fcfc-4640-9c61-e69e15afb9f4_text

Is there dead money in Broker’s deal? I thought we gained cap space by cutting him?

@snags - Be careful where you put that finger man! lol

1 Like

They all have dead cap if cut but also provide cap relief overall otherwise they would be on the team in all likelihood next year.

4 Likes

I feel like I need a good @deadstroke breakdown again of all the potential cuts, savings, and how that impacts the 23, 24, 25 and the future year caps.

Maybe someone already has a thread they can share, tag me if so.

Not sure what you’re looking for

1 Like

I’m simply asking you for things that haven’t even happened yet and are 2-3 years away… that’s gotta be a great sign of respect brother. Haha while typing that I realized how dumb that sounds.

On a different note, how many magic toads should I send to you to tell me about 2025 salary cap!?

1 Like

In 2024, we have rookie contracts plus Goff, Decker, Vaitai, Walker, Ragnow and Fox. All those vet contracts will expire after 2024 season except for Ragnow and Fox.

So going into 2025, the only vets under contract are Ragnow and Fox. So much is going to depend on what BH does this year and next.

Obviously a lot of what we can do in 2024 is going to be effected on what BH does this year (2023 draft picks, UFA multi year signings, rookie contract extensions).

A good time to look at it is probably after the draft.

2 Likes

Oh for sure, had a bit too much wine after dinner and now I’m bored. The draft is 4 months away, ha ha

1 Like

They are asking for this:
homer simpson halloween GIF

3 Likes

Holy shit the Bears got money.

2 Likes

Looks like a pretty deep FA class.

Yea everyone keeps crapping on the bears but they’ve got the #1 overall pick which I think most of us anticipate them turning into precious draft capital, and a ton of cap space. If they have a competent braintrust (TBD) they could turn that thing around faster than people are giving them credit for.

Given all of their cap space the Bears should just put suitcases full of money on roller skates and make Justin Fields throw to them… It would be a marked improvement over their 2022 WR corps.

2 Likes

They are about where we were last year, but with WAY more money to work with.

1 Like