DeAndre Hopkins To Be Dealt Soon

Actually, they haven’t and because of the holiday, the earliest they can release him is Tuesday.

The team announced his release on Friday . . . the new way to announce to all other team, if you want this guy, offer us a trade before we release him.

So, if a team trades for Hopkins, the new team will be on the hook for his $19.5M base salary (I believe, both cap sites have processed the release even though not official). But if a team trades for Hopkins, they will likely work out a deal for a year or two with some guaranteed money, but that’s only if a trade happens before Tuesday.

If he’s cut, Hopkins is free to sign with whoever he wants for whatever he wants. He can give a sweetheart deal or go for FMV, whatever he wants . . . he will have suitors.

1 Like

First of all, listen to this guy. He’s on it. Secondly, I thought I heard or read that AZ was willing to pick up most or all of that (if traded). Did I get that wrong?

If there is a trade, I’d imagine that AZ will have to pick up a lot of the salary . . . the more they pick up, the better the draft pick. But, likely the reason Hopkins hasn’t been traded is because, in AZ opinion, the draft pick comp is too low for the salary AZ has to pick up. i.e. if AZ picks up $10M, is it worth a 5th round draft pick?

I’d say 50/50 on whether he’s actually traded or cut.

it will be 32 years…… since a playoff win…. :wink:

2 Likes

Looks like OTC has him released:

Dead Money

Name Cap Number
DeAndre Hopkins $21,077,776

I think it’s a formality. Can’t be released until tomorrow technically, something about the holiday.

Oh his skill level would be a great fit

I just question if he could be a true “team player”

1 Like

Not everyone is going to be a team player, nor a culture fit.

Right now Jamo is suspended, Ragnow has an inoperable toe, Goff and Decker play arguably the 2 most important positions, and have 2 years left…. Gibbs and Monty are dinged up, and the whole we seem super deep at edge and DB…. Big V coming off a back and is 30 (contemplating later retirement. Glasgow 1 yr….

Fast forward a year and JOK, Romeo, Harris, Harris, Jacobs, Moseley, CJGJ are all free agents and Walker has a 13M cap hit.

Kind of funny that most don’t think Goff is elite, but he’s expected to run a top 5 offense… with a rookie TE, stud slot WR, and a bunch of WR4 types along with a pair of dinged up backs….

Sign Nuk please

5 Likes

I’m actually not sure how great of a fit Nuke is. I really think this organization wants separators. At this point Nuke is a bully ball catch point guy and as much as certain media members think you simply have to have a high level contested catch guy I’m not sure that our braintrust agrees.

3 Likes

Nuke to Rams, replace Allen Robinson

Interesting. Doubt they’re going for it like that though.

I think if it’s for $ it’ll be Carolina. If it’s for a ring it’s Buffalo or KC.

1 Like
1 Like

At least it’s not boring! We need some content anyway.

2 Likes

if we could get Hops for 12 million , DO IT-that’s not going to kill us.

1 Like

Dan was asked today if they were interested and he said he wasn’t going to comment on that.

That seems a little odd to me as he is usually very open about those things. He could have easily said he is a very talented player, but we are happy with the group we have. This tells me they are at least still toying around with the idea.

3 Likes

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

He said quite a bit more than that.

He commented on the wide receivers the tight ends the running backs all the pass catching ability they have on the roste in those group and packages

He commented on how much he liked the wide receiver room. He commented on the fact that all the pass catching ability allows for many options for the offense.

You can hear his answer in the other thread where his press conference is linked.

1 Like

He ddefinitely commented the WR group after, but why not take 5 seconds to squash any rumors? Dan almost never offers a no comment to something, and he gets asked some difficult questions.

Plenty other coaches have been asked about Hopkins and the majority of them gave some type of response other than no comment. Maybe I’m ready the tea leaves to much here, just thought it was a little out of character from Campbell.

1 Like

He focused on the players that were in Detroit not the free agent. He went on to praise the wide receivers on the Detroit roster.

Then included the tight ends and the running backs and the pass catching skills all bring to the offense

In other words he told you why we don’t need Hopkins

Yet, if they were talking to Hopkins it would be a great point to make some praise worthy comments about the player and his skills if you are trying. To sign him to a contract in detroit