Defensive Terminology by Romeo Crennel

6 Likes

This would have been nice to have during a couple of discussions around here that ended up being longer than they needed to.

4 Likes

If we ever have a resource page this would be a great educational tool

3 Likes

Oh man, those conversations were something else. But I learned a ton!!!

My real question is, do we now run a nickel defense with 3-4 concepts in a 4 man front, OR, do we run a 3-4 with a 4 man front but in a nickel package? And what is truly the “base” defense?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I remember those threads, they went in way too long but it was great reading and seriously, very helpful and educational.

3 Likes

They don’t exist, they never will, matchups matter, the base defense changes every week!!! haha

Chris Farley No More For Today GIF

2 Likes

The interesting thing is if we had Rex Ryan and Bill Cowher put together their Defensive Terminology glossary, we’d find some of the same terms meaning different things. Not the 3-4 and sub parts, but the names like Mac, Buck and Will

In a Steeler system, the Will is the pass rusher on the defensive right side.
In a Ryan system, that position is called the Rush linebacker.
In Crennel’s terms (and the same with Belichick), he’s called the Jack.

That’s what got under my skin a bit a few years ago when one of the local writers kept throwing the term “Jack” around, referring to Kennard. If you had to call Kennard anything (and using Crennel’s and Belichick’s terminology), he should have called him the SAM. I wish we did have this then. I linked from a few sites, but it evidently wasn’t very persuasive.

As soon as I seen term #2 (C.P. = Coaching Point), I immediately looked for a M.A. (missed assignment). I’m a little disappointed that it’s not there.

1 Like

This ought to be pinned for future reference

1 Like