Did the Detroit Lions make the right choice in cutting Germain Ifedi?

Not a Matt Nelson fan. Familiarity and comfort level appear to have been the deciding factor.

1 Like

Yes they did because he looked terrible the last game and wasn’t even trying.

1 Like

I think it was mistake but I do trust staff an Holmes. We don’t see every minute of camp. I am not Nelson fan either but again we don’t see as much.

Nelson not any better, if not worse overall IMO. Maybe they know someone gonna get released with the cuts, and plan on picking him up?

I kind of love these types of discussions. We are debating about players that are clearly on the bubble of make the 53 and maybe even the PS.
These are not big decisions nor are they make or break for the team. It could very well be that they are now looking for a replacement that shows more promise. Maybe not athletically but in will and desire.
And I think we all forget that teams will be doing cuts and the waiver wire will be running white hot come Wednesday.

4 Likes

Normally at this point of the year we’d be debating which 33 bubble players were going to fill out the roster.

3 Likes

I guess the rumors about teams calling about him were…rumors.

1 Like

I had thought about announcing vs official when it comes to cuts.

When the Lions announce they are cutting, 13 players in this case, are they officially gone as of the announcement or does it become official when they turn in the paperwork to the league, assuming it’s on the final cut day?

Which means they could still swing a trade up til paperwork is sent in.

Good point. I would think that an announcement would have no import to the league. Meaning my guess is when the paperwork goes through. So, maybe this is the way to get max value in a trade? If so, its just the villain at work again. @DeadStroke ?

It seems like it is a way to invite offers if it isn’t official til paperwork is turned in.

It’s when they turn in the paperwork. Having said that, the Lions turned in the first 13 cuts 4pm on Sunday. They are official.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Yes, and essentially, players that are cut will sit in limbo until Wednesday at noon when waiver claims are processed by the NFL.

1 Like

Lol says who? He didn’t allow a pressure and was better in the run game than Nelson. So where is this info coming from?

1 Like

Well obviously Holmes and Campbell agree with me.

1 Like

I was kinda surprised we cut Ifedi. is Nelson better!? I guess that’s a close call and Hank Fraley must have wanted Nelson over him. So are we only carrying 3 tackles on the 53 man roster!?

1 Like

Fraley’s preference? That may have been the deciding factor.

2 Likes

Yea, I think it likely was. Fraley has been helping Nelson transition from D-line in college to O-line for several seasons now. It’s pretty wild that Nelson didn’t play OL in college and has still had a 4 year career in the nfl at a new position. That’s ■■■■■■■ difficult to do.

1 Like

I think there were a couple reasons.

Lions really want to run and Ifedi isn’t as good of a run blocker. He doesn’t move as well as nelson and get to the 2nd level that is needed for 6 man front.

Ifedi also shows a lot of inconsistency. He was available for a reason. He may be the type that takes plays off.

Lastly, the Lions probably didn’t open the playbook for camp for strategic reasons. Nelson has 1.5 years in the Ben Johnson offense. and 2 years youth.

I don’t think they made a huge mistake… that said, I feel like he will be picked up somewhere because a lot of teams have questionable lines.

3 Likes

I will say this…if the Lions are cutting guys line Germain Ifedi, people need to realize we have about as good a line as you can expect in the NFL. Our OLine depth shouldn’t concern anyone.

1 Like