Did the Steelers make the right decision trading for Minkah Fitzpatrick?

Surface answer is yes, obviously, because he was probably the best safety in the league last year, but that’s not the point here…

What I’m doing is asking you guys if you think they made the right decision trading a 1st round pick for a young talent with a lot of upside who caused some drama to get out of Miami. Obviously they tied some money to him too, and given that he’s a safety, he “isn’t an impact player” or whatever you want to call it. He became the best safety in the league after the trade, and was clearly a top 3 safety immediately after the trade. Also that 1st round pick became Austin Jackson.

I picked Minkah because it seemed like the perfect example without Jamal Adams level dysfunction or Jalen Ramsey’s drama.

So, all things considered, do you think they made the right choice moving a 1st round pick for Minkah?

If you are in a win now mode, it can be better to spend your 1st rounder on a nearly sure thing versus a role of the dice with a college prospect that may not translate to the next level.

We’ve seen more and more teams like the Seahawks and Rams do this.

For the Lions, I’d wait until it looks like we are in contention. Even this year if the lions are 8-1 (or whenever the trade deadline is) and look like we’re making a run for the superbowl and are a legit DB away, make that trade and give up a future 1st rounder!

2 Likes

I don’t think you have to be in “win now” mode to go get a 23 year old guy who proved he belongs in the league.

4 Likes

I agree Wes so they have him for two years roughly 2 mil a year but next season 2022 he will cost 10 + million an will he be worth that much an when you try redo the deal they likely looking at Adams money.

Lots of scenarios here. In the case of Ramsey and Adams, they were traded for 2 first rounders and they only came with a year and a half left on their contract versus 4-5 years for a rookie.

Now they are super expensive for their teams. If either gets hurt serious and is out of football, I’d say they were not great trades considering neither helped their teams get past the first round of the playoffs last year.

I would not make those trades as the Lions right now. Not until I see the Lions can contend and just have a missing piece or two.

1 Like

That was my first thought. No brainer.

1 Like

How is this different than any first round pick any team would ever make in the history of ever?

Agreed, when you’re trading away picks, you have to weigh-in where your team is at in relation to where your team is at pushing for a Superbowl and winning playoff games vs rebuilding and loading your cupboards for the future. Teams that are at the bottom of the NFL don’t trade away picks for a Safety and strap themselves with big contracts unless it’s for a QB, LT, or DE.

1 Like

I stand by my belief the last position the truly good teams add is WR. Build the Defense, build the lines, and then when you have a decent QB and TE and a couple RBs, blow the cap space on a WR. I think the WR position is one you can get away with not having for awhile but then when you really want to put yourself over the top you spend on a WR last.

Build the team lines and defense first, build a sustainable offense and then make your splash signing a WR or two.

With the Lions’ situation, I wouldn’t hesitate to use one of our 1st round picks on a young stud who wants a change of scenery. We have the ammo to do it. You can go from bad to contender very quickly in the NFL by adding the right players at the right time. For example, if Chase Young demanded a trade and Washington wanted two of our four 1st round picks in return I’d do it in a heartbeat.

1 Like

Hell I think we’d be dumb not to give up a first for Minkah right now if we could. Safety may be a bigger need than WR.

1 Like

Absolutely they did.

No question because the got the player immediately and gave what (for the Steelers) would “probably” be a late first round pick. Dude makes plays all the time for them. I disagree that Safety isn’t an impact position. If the player is young and a top 5 type guy at a position of need, then heck yes. I don’t care if we are rebuilding, if a similar situation presented itself with a young top 5 guy, then I would have no problem sending a high future pick. You certainly have to do the homework, because if you drop a first round pick, he’d better be a guy that’s worth keeping for the next 4-5 years. If we haven’t finished building 5 years from now, we’ll be brooming this staff.

opponents will exploit your weaknesses, if your team is limp at Safety, your opponents will test that area plenty and win. anywhere your questionable professional teams are going to look for that. they will test the F out of our defense bc we have been known to be soft there, then they will nit-pick at other areas; corner, safety, special teams , WR, the O-line. I don’t mind a " bend don’t break." group, that means there tough. what I can’t stand is lines that just get destroyed like we don’t know what we’re doing…I hate that ! We can’t have guys standing around waiting for the guy next to them to mop up…they ALL have to shut opponents DOWN !! Not stand around going “I thought you had him?” “no you were supposed to be in position to slow them down or stop them.” “who’s got who here !?” the past has been an embarassment and a half , I expect that chit to stop now ! train right, do your job right , be alert, be on time, and take care of YOUR responsibility.

I would say Pittsburgh made the right decision. I mean if you look at it in hindsight it was Fitz for Austin Jackson plus a couple late rounders this year.

I’d do that in a heartbeat. Maybe Jackson will breakout but he hasn’t so far.

My main point with that was that people say first round picks are so valuable, but they can easily end up as an Austin Jackson.

Its tough because Pittsburgh does a good job drafting and may have went a different direction, say Justin Jefferson. But they got Claypool later though so I still think its a win so far.