Dj chark

I’m thinking we have to let Jackson walk. Draft some depth next year that’ll allow us to groom his replacement. It would be hard to justify dumping premium contracts into 4 of 5 positions on the Oline.

I know it sounds absurd to let talent walk considering where we are at, but if Holmes can continue to draft well then we are gonna have to pour our resources into other positions.

2 Likes

I think it all depends on the deal. Guard is one of those positions that doesn’t exactly break the bank. I’d much rather pay Jackson a reasonable contract and keep what could be an elite offensive line together for as long as I can. Especially since you can sign Jackson and have him be two years into his new contract before sewell’s rookie deal is done.

4 Likes

Also let’s not forget about Evan brown, Nelson, and stenberg. I like Vaitai however if Stenberg can take his place and perform well I think they go with him. Or, we give Brown a promotion as he proved to be a very solid backup last year.

As far as Chark goes, I’d like to think he likes it here so much he pulls a Tracy Walker and wants to stay, signs a reasonable deal to stay where he is happy.

1 Like

Brown was a solid center but that doesn’t mean necessarily that he’d be a good nfl guard. I do really hope stenburg takes the next step in his development though. I’d love to see him become a good player.

2 Likes

Let him walk, I think that’s the intent (although it can change).

We’ll have Chark/St Brown/Others . . . then Jamo when he gets off pup.

Next year YR2 Jamo/YR 3 St Brown/others . . . let Chark walk.

4 Likes

This is what I think too.

We have other dudes that possibly can step up. Depends on what the coaches think, in terms of $$ vs performance

1 Like

I quoted that just for emphasis.

I also don’t think good guards are hard to come by, especially if walking into an established line.

The biggest thing I want out of them this year is for a healthy season where decker, Jackson, ragnow and Sewell form an exceptional - elite unit

1 Like

Chark turns 27 in September 2023. We’ll have a lot more info on him (and Jamo) after this season. I’m hopeful but figuring out 2023 contracts at this point is like pushing rope–for me at least.

2 Likes

Solid guards aren’t hard to come by. Pro bowl guards are. It depends on Jackson. If he keeps developing into the caliber of guard that Nelson and Martin are it’s tough to watch that kind of player leave. They’re the ones that often transform the offensive line from a good one to one that can impose its will on other teams. That’s the kind of line I’ve been desperately waiting for. An offense than can do anything it wants and there’s nothing you can do about it.

1 Like

yep… and if we have a productive player that wants to stay in Detroit… I am all for it unless he wants to be top 5 paid guy.

2 Likes

I’m ok paying like a top 5 guy if you actually are a top 5 guy. Chark would need two or 3 more high level season to get to that level. Otherwise let him walk and take the compensation pick.

I think that is the intent of both parties. I don’t think Det and Chark are part of the long term plan.

Chark wants to get paid - if he has a great year and gets paid I don’t think it’s by us.

The Lions are looking to get younger and Chark is a bridge to the future. I’d expect us to draft another young WR next draft anyway.

The only way I think he returns is if he has a mediocre season and he’s cheap enough yet still good enough to warrant a return.

Personally I think the emergence of Williams will make Chark expendable. So I think we let him go and collect the comp pick.

4 Likes

If he has a great year I would strongly consider tagging him for another year.

Not the best for him, but the Lions effectively get a second prove it season with no long term liabilities.

4 Likes

With the way receivers are being paid that would be an expensive tag.

I do not feel like we have the luxury of doing that. His friends, family and other people in his orbit are already going to clown him for signing with the sorry ass Lions who play in shitty ass Michigan. Hitting him with a tag instead of paying him or letting him leave to get paid would be something I would expect from Matt Patricia…or Rod Wood (that was for you deadstroke).

It depends. He may be ok with it. A franchise tag for a receiver is in what, the 15-20 million range? Not every free agent that comes to Detroit hates it.

3 Likes

quickly becoming one of the most desirable places to come. Guys who value winning and having fun at work will want to come here.

Guys who value getting thier ass handed to them regularly will want to play in the other teams in our division.

2 Likes

The question was IF he has a big season. If DJ Chark has a big season he is going to be in line for Kenny Golladay money. And even if he isn’t, that’s what his agent will have put in his ear. Tagging him and making him come back and do it all over again isn’t “family.” If he doesn’t have a big year then we have an entirely different calculation. But again, the premise of the thread was if he has a big year.

1 Like

He actually can’t be tagged… his deal voids after the season.

2 Likes